THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns history trivia for Stan

The Gipper

OK folks, here is the Browns history trivia. Let's give Stan a chance at redemption by giving him first crack at this quiz. I assume he will be an honorable gentleman and not "google" the answers. Once he has taken his shot please feel free to answer. This is really not that easy, so don't be surprised if he can only get a couple:

1. What player played the most seasons with the Cleveland Browns?

2. Of the persons who are among the Top 20 in all time Career Coaching victories, name the ones that at one time were players for the Cleveland Browns.

3. Of the persons who are among the Top 20 in all time Career Coaching victories, name the ones that at one time were the head coach or GM/President of the Cleveland Browns.

4. Which team or teams have defeated the Browns the most times in postseason play?

5. What is the name of the team that the Browns have defeated the most times in postseason play?

6. Jim Brown and Lou Groza have made the most Pro Bowls as players for the Browns with 9 each. There are 3 players who are next on the list with 6 Pro Bowls each. Name those 3 players. (Hint: Otto Graham is not one and be aware that the Pro Bowl didn't apply to the AAFC years)

7. In 1980 a Browns player was selected to the First Team All Pro team by the Associated Press. However, that player was NOT selected to play in the Pro Bowl. Who was that player?

8. Who holds the Browns record for most rushing yards in a game?

9. What college did Frank Ryan attend?

10. Who holds the Browns record for most receiving yards in a season?

11. The Browns have had 1 player named the Defensive Rookie of the Year. Who was that player?

12. What significance does the U.S. Army Air Corps A-2 Flight Jacket have in Cleveland Browns history? Here is a visual hint:

220px-A-2_Jacket.jpg

I won't answer anything, I will give Stan the 1st go at it. I do however want to pose a bonus question for him...

During the 1986 season Bernie Kosar started 16 games at QB for the Browns, who was the Browns starting QB that season?

...... Clay Matthews?

1. What player played the most seasons with the Cleveland Browns? That's easy, I drive down the street named after him everyday, coach in a ball park named after him, and our youth football program is named for him here. In fact, I even tailgated at his funneral. That would be Lou the toe Groza.

2. Of the persons who are among the Top 20 in all time Career Coaching victories, name the ones that at one time were players for the Cleveland Browns. Noll, Cowher, Shula.

3. Of the persons who are among the Top 20 in all time Career Coaching victories, name the ones that at one time were the head coach or GM/President of the Cleveland Browns. Paul Brown, Holmgren

4. Which team or teams have defeated the Browns the most times in postseason play? I'll go with the Detroit Lions from back in the 50's

5. What is the name of the team that the Browns have defeated the most times in postseason play? Buffalo Bills

6. Jim Brown and Lou Groza have made the most Pro Bowls as players for the Browns with 9 each. There are 3 players who are next on the list with 6 Pro Bowls each. Name those 3 players. (Hint: Otto Graham is not one and be aware that the Pro Bowl didn't apply to the AAFC years). Leroy Kelly, Hickerson & Schafrath. Michael Dean, Greg Pruitt & Matthews went to at least four each, Golic, Newsome & Hanford Dixon went to 3 in my day ...

7. In 1980 a Browns player was selected to the First Team All Pro team by the Associated Press. However, that player was NOT selected to play in the Pro Bowl. Who was that player? Alzado, as I don't think he ever went to the Pro Bowl as a Brown, but was nationally honored.

8. Who holds the Browns record for most rushing yards in a game? Didn't Jerome Harrison do that last season?

9. What college did Frank Ryan attend? LOL ... he is the only one I know from Rice.

10. Who holds the Browns record for most receiving yards in a season? Braylon? I think I read that somehwere in a post or in the news today

11. The Browns have had 1 player named the Defensive Rookie of the Year. Who was that player? Don Rogers? I think it headlined a newspaper I saved listing me in some high school glory days.

12. What significance does the U.S. Army Air Corps A-2 Flight Jacket have in Cleveland Browns history? Here is a visual hint: The pilot wearing the first A-2 Flight Jacket accidently dropped a bomb on a camel that was later used to make Art Modells favorite coat. Please tell me that you are not using the jackets 'seal brown' color of that of the Browns for this question.

Don Rogers was right also. I saved a cool newspaper from that day. My picture playing baseball for Mentor is larger than Rogers across the top. Many years later I was reading it and my brothers name was also listed inside for some accomplishments playing in a tournament in Florida. The back of the paper has a big article about the Cold War having an affect on the Olympics (which made me feel old), but throughout is very interesting readings such as The Tigers with Sparky Anderson at the helm destroying the league ....

1. What player played the most seasons with the Cleveland Browns? That's easy, I drive down the street named after him everyday, coach in a ball park named after him, and our youth football program is named for him here. In fact, I even tailgated at his funneral. That would be Lou the toe Groza.

Correctamundo!!

2. Of the persons who are among the Top 20 in all time Career Coaching victories, name the ones that at one time were players for the Cleveland Browns. Noll, Cowher, Shula.

Correct again...on a roll!

3. Of the persons who are among the Top 20 in all time Career Coaching victories, name the ones that at one time were the head coach or GM/President of the Cleveland Browns. Paul Brown, Holmgren

These two are right, but there are more (remember it say GM/Pres OR HC)

4. Which team or teams have defeated the Browns the most times in postseason play? I'll go with the Detroit Lions from back in the 50's

That is half a right answer. There is another.

5. What is the name of the team that the Browns have defeated the most times in postseason play? Buffalo Bills

That is correct!! Two of those Buffalo Bills teams were from the AAFC.

6. Jim Brown and Lou Groza have made the most Pro Bowls as players for the Browns with 9 each. There are 3 players who are next on the list with 6 Pro Bowls each. Name those 3 players. (Hint: Otto Graham is not one and be aware that the Pro Bowl didn't apply to the AAFC years). Leroy Kelly, Hickerson & Schafrath. Michael Dean, Greg Pruitt & Matthews went to at least four each, Golic, Newsome & Hanford Dixon went to 3 in my day ...

Correct again! Kelly, Hickerson and Shafrath

7. In 1980 a Browns player was selected to the First Team All Pro team by the Associated Press. However, that player was NOT selected to play in the Pro Bowl. Who was that player? Alzado, as I don't think he ever went to the Pro Bowl as a Brown, but was nationally honored.

Right again!

8. Who holds the Browns record for most rushing yards in a game? Didn't Jerome Harrison do that last season?

Yes!!! And it counts!

9. What college did Frank Ryan attend? LOL ... he is the only one I know from Rice.

Right. The boy is hot, hot hot.

10. Who holds the Browns record for most receiving yards in a season? Braylon? I think I read that somehwere in a post or in the news today

That is right, again.

11. The Browns have had 1 player named the Defensive Rookie of the Year. Who was that player? Don Rogers? I think it headlined a newspaper I saved listing me in some high school glory days.

OOPs No.

12. What significance does the U.S. Army Air Corps A-2 Flight Jacket have in Cleveland Browns history? Here is a visual hint: The pilot wearing the first A-2 Flight Jacket accidently dropped a bomb on a camel that was later used to make Art Modells favorite coat. Please tell me that you are not using the jackets 'seal brown' color of that of the Browns for this question.

All right. I won't tell you. But that is correct. The Browns "official color" of Seal Brown comes from the specifications of the U.S. Army Air Corps for their flight jackets. Also, FYI, the official color of Brown University in Rhode Island is also Seal Brown.

By my count Stan got 9 complete correct answers plus half of two more. He only completely whiffed on one question. I think he has been sandbagging us on his copius knowledge of trivial matters

Don Rogers was right also. I saved a cool newspaper from that day. My picture playing baseball for Mentor is larger than Rogers across the top. Many years later I was reading it and my brothers name was also listed inside for some accomplishments playing in a tournament in Florida. The back of the paper has a big article about the Cold War having an affect on the Olympics (which made me feel old), but throughout is very interesting readings such as The Tigers with Sparky Anderson at the helm destroying the league ....

The information I have is that Rogers is not right.

Did you try to throw me off? Otto was credited with five Pro Bowls.

No, Otto played in 5....which last time I noticed is less than 6. Remember I said that AAFC years didn't count for Pro Bowls. It was my attempt to steer you away from the members of the early dynasty Browns.

Hey Gipper, while researching my answers I came across a better trivia contest for the day:

Name any of the 20 Top Superstar Military Veterans in Sports History!

Yep, in honor of Veterans Day, let's take a look at the professional athletes who have served the United States in our armed forces.

These athletes put everything on hold—their jobs, careers and families—to risk their lives for the greater good of our country.

who are they?

I think I aced the Gippers test and he's pouting. C'mon Gipper, I don't want to have to grade my own paper.

Oh shit, was Belichick on that coaching list? ... I gotta look that one up.

No, you did ace it. And I do give you credit. Next time I see you I will owe you beer money....or at least a beer.

(but it won't be this week, sorry)

By my count Stan got 9 complete correct answers plus half of two more. He only completely whiffed on one question. I think he has been sandbagging us on his copius knowledge of trivial matters

Does my Belichick add-on complete that answer?

Hey Gipper, while researching my answers I came across a better trivia contest for the day:

Yep, in honor of Veterans Day, let's take a look at the professional athletes who have served the United States in our armed forces.

These athletes put everything on hold—their jobs, careers and families—to risk their lives for the greater good of our country.

who are they?

Here is a start:

Ted Williams fought in both WWII and Korea

Bob Feller

Nile Kinnick died in WWII

Rocky Bleier Vietnam

Pat Tillman died in Afghanistan

Abner Doubleday?? credited with inventing baseball, was a Civil War General.

Roger Staubach

David Robinson

Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard

Here is a start:

Ted Williams fought in both WWII and Korea

Bob Feller

Nile Kinnick died in WWII

Rocky Bleier Vietnam

Pat Tillman died in Afghanistan

Abner Doubleday?? credited with inventing baseball, was a Civil War General.

Roger Staubach

David Robinson

Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard

I read the headline, but not the article, so I'll try to add. Tillman Jerseys were pictured with the article though.

DiMaggio had his career interupted I believe

Joe Louis & Rocky Marciano

Ali (LOL!)

who are they?

Here are the answers, and some pretty good readings about these men and their service to the country:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/515000-...-history#page/1

who are they?

I think Joe Dimaggio also served in WWII.

Otto Graham did too. After graduating from Northwestern he served a stint in the Coast Guard. He also later became HC of the Coast Guard Academy football team.

Something else on Otto: He was in the Navy Air Corps for 2 years in WWII. He in fact would have worn one of those Seal Brown Flight Jackets. Maybe he should be the one given credit for giving the team its color scheme?

Also something else: Otto Graham was a neighbor of Sam Sheppard and was interviewed by the police about the events that happened the night Marilyn Sheppard was murdered.

I will not belabor this any longer since Stan aced it. The only remaining questions to be answered are:

#3 Marty Schottenheimer is 6th overall in career coaching victories in addition to Holmgren who is #10, Paul Brown #12, and Belichick is #14.

#11 is Chip Banks who was Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1982.

I will not belabor this any longer since Stan aced it. The only remaining questions to be answered are:

#3 Marty Schottenheimer is 6th overall in career coaching victories in addition to Holmgren who is #10, Paul Brown #12, and Belichick is #14.

#11 is Chip Banks who was Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1982.

OOPS ,, also, the other half question that was not answered is that the Browns have lost the most postseason games to both the Detroit Lions and the Denver Broncos. 3 each.

Archived