THE BROWNS BOARD

A Look At Strength Of Schedule

TheClevelandSound

Lets look at each teams schedule in relevance to the Run Game that each team has had to face so far.

Jets Schedule:

BALTIMORE RAVENS: Willis McGahee and Ray Rice. Grade: A-

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: Lawrence Marony (at the time), Fred Taylor, BenJarvus Green Ellis. Grade: B-

MIAMI DOLPHINS: Ronnie Browns and Ricky Williams. Grade: B+

BUFFALO BILLS: Marshawn Lynch (at the time), CJ Spillar. GRADE: C

MINNESOTA VIKINGS: Adrian Peterson. Grade: A+

DENVER BRONCOS: Knowshawn Moreno, Lawrence Marony, Correll Buckhalter. Grade: C+

GREEN BAY PACKERS: Johnathan Kuhn and Brandon Jackson. Grade: D

DETROIT LIONS: Jahvid Best and Kevin Smith. Grade: B-

FINAL GRADE OF RUNNING BACKS FACED: B-

Browns schedule:

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: Cadillac Williams. Grade: B-

KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: Jamaal Charles, Thomas Jones, and Dexter McCluster. Grade: A-

BALTIMORE RAVENS: Willis McGahee and Ray Rice. Grade: A-

CINCINNATI BENGALS: Cedric Benson and Bernard Scott. Grade: B

ATLANTA FALCONS: Michael Turner and Jason Snelling. Grade: A-

PITTSBURGH STEELERS: Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore. Grade: B+

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: Chris Ivory, Julius Jones, and Ladell Betts. Grade: D+

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: BenJarvus Green Ellis, Sammy Morris, and Danny Woodhead. Grade: B

FINAL GRADE OF RUNNING BACKS FACED: B+

The grades are all opinion but many will agree with me that we have faced tougher running backs than the Jets so far. This is only to make the point that yes, maybe the Jets have the best running defense statistically. But in reality, a portion of that contributes to the opponents they have faced. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

I pretty much agree with the exception of caddy williams. He was a force to be reckoned with until he shattered his knee (which i saw happen live I might add). I'd give him at best a C-, and that's pushing it.

Looking at that chart, I'd say we faced fairly similar RB's overall.

I pretty much agree with the exception of caddy williams. He was a force to be reckoned with until he shattered his knee (which i saw happen live I might add). I'd give him at best a C-, and that's pushing it.

Looking at that chart, I'd say we faced fairly similar RB's overall.

I wouldn't bother with grading out the running backs- let's just look at strength of schedule updated to current status.

The Browns to date have only played one team with a losing record (which they beat). Played the #1 seed in the NFC tough. In fact to date have played 5 out of the 10 teams with best record in the NFL, make that 6 if you want to count Sunday.

Jets? Green Bay shut them out, and they needed a Suh botched extra point to beat the Lions.

The Jets and the Browns are really mirror images of each other on offense when it comes to the running game and the quarterbacks and what they want to do.

Both offensive lines have young stud centers and left offensive tackles: Mack/Mangold and Thomas/Ferguson. Both lines take pride in the run blocking part of the game and are usually successful. While the Jets have both LT and Greene and the Browns have only Hillis the idea is the same: wear on the defense for four quarters.

Both qb's are similar in that their success is predicated on the play-action passing game. Watch Shep's youtube highlights of Colt and count how many of them are of the play-action variety. Sanchez does a lot of that, too, and why not?

The difference in the two offenses is that the Jets will take their shots downfield more often because they've got you-know-who, Holmes, and Cotchery. That being said, I love how Colt has spread the ball around his first three games. Everybody is getting a taste and that's good, but Revis will take away whomever he's on Sunday. That's a given.

I look for the Browns to run a lot on Sunday out of 3-wide sets. That will keep guys out of the box. I expect some screens. I also expect them to go no-huddle a bit more to keep the Jets D from substituting all that much. When #30 Coleman is on the field, that's great for us. That guy gets abused in the slot, so again, I expect a lot of 3-wide. Daboll will have to be creative again this week.

When Colt said this was the best defense he'll face, he wasn't lying. However, the Browns will try to get and keep their weaker personnel packages on the field and then get the ball to the right guys depending upon the matchups.

Whichever team wins more often on first and second down will win this game. The Jets are waaaay better on paper, but EM has this team and town believing again. Should be fun.

Archived