THE BROWNS BOARD

Are Officials taking care of the Steelers ?

BUNSofSTEEL08

COPIED FROM POSTGAZETTE.com

Looking for that special statistic for someone this holiday season?

Searching for that nugget that will take someone's breath away, an eye-opening surprise that defies description and seems impossible to believe?

Here it is:

The Steelers are on the precipice of setting a club record for sacks in a season, needing nine more in the final two games to break the franchise standard of 55. Their 47 sacks are the most in the AFC, second only to the Dallas Cowboys in the NFL, and the 26.5 registered by James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley combined are the most by any tandem in the league. Already, they are the most by any linebacker tandem in franchise history, and the Steelers haven't exactly lacked in pass-rushing linebackers over the years.

What's more, Harrison and Woodley are rushing from each end of the line of scrimmage, coming off the edge and trying to run around -- or, in Woodley's case -- run through offensive tackles, most times in one-on-one situations. For tackles, that is an especially difficult task against Harrison, who is 5-foot-11 and uses his strength to get under, up and around tackles.

"I still haven't seen too many guys who can block him one-on-one without holding," said inside linebacker James Farrior.

But guess what?

Apparently, nobody is holding. At least, not according to the officials.

The Steelers have not seen an opponent called for offensive holding since the fourth quarter of the Nov. 3 game against the Washington Redskins, when left tackle Chris Samuels was penalized for holding Harrison.

That's six games -- 24 quarters -- without a holding penalty against the best pass-rush team in the AFC.

"That's shocking, actually," said center Justin Hartwig. "We sit out there and watch the defense and you see James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley getting around the edge like every play, and guys are just grabbing onto their shoulder pads and pushing them from behind.

"There are so many plays that are holding, but they don't call them. It happens so often. I don't know if the refs come to expect that, that they're just going to get around the corner every time, and they just don't call it or what."

it should be noted that, of the six teams the Steelers have played since the last offensive holding penalty, two of them -- the Colts and Patriots -- lead the league in fewest offensive holding penalties (9).

But, one of them -- Baltimore -- leads all potential NFL playoff teams with 22 offensive holding penalties. Left tackle Jared Gaither, who has lined against Harrison twice this season, has five of those.

None, though, in the 13-9 loss Sunday to the Steelers.

The Steelers are not complaining about the lack of holding penalties being called. They just find it amusing, if not ironic, considering the tenacity of their pass pressure.

"We can't get caught up in the referees," Farrior said. "That's something we can't control. We cry and gripe and more stuff like that, the more likely they will be to not call it. We have to keep our mouths shut, play our game and, hopefully, they'll start calling 'em."

In other words, hold on.

First published on December 20, 2008 at 12:00 am

Interesting.... It seems that TRUTH is different than Perception ! Dont expect too many Responses on this ... Kind of blows out the Conspiracy theory on the North Shore.

good teams find a way to win whether the calls go their way or not. they don't bitch, whine and moan about things not going their way. they execute. the steelers have a ridiculously ferocious defense that gets after it on every play. they get guys that fit their system and make sure they know what they're doing. having the best defensive coordinator in the modern game helps, too. i definitely envy steeler fans. i'd love it if the browns were close to that good on D.

that being said, santonio's non-TD, though, is more than karmic payback for the non-calls.

Good post Freak.........I read that elsewhere and indeed it has been obvious the last several Steeler games the opposition has not gotten holding calls..........while the Steelers accumulated a bunch of holding calls.......

I found that unbalanced........and find it interesting that others saw the same thing enough so the write about it

JewDago............as far as the so called non touchdown........

denial is a wonderful thing..........replays showed the ball broke the plane while Holmes had possession and two feet down, that is the NFL explanation

Thus the call was correct a TD...............simple as that NO further explanation needed..........but you can deny the ball broke the plane.........to me it was very close ..........in the booth the have stop action cameras and overhead cameras to view...........Their view said the ball broke the plane

Good job Steelers against the hardest schedule in the NFL.........and tonight good job Ravens

Two solid strong reps from the AFC North in the playoffs......

Dallas losing already made my weekend

Go Browns

JewDago............as far as the so called non touchdown........

denial is a wonderful thing..........replays showed the ball broke the plane while Holmes had possession and two feet down, that is the NFL explanation

Thus the call was correct a TD...............simple as that NO further explanation needed..........but you can deny the ball broke the plane.........to me it was very close ..........in the booth the have stop action cameras and overhead cameras to view...........Their view said the ball broke the plane

i haven't seen that replay, i guess. less denial, just simple ignorance. if there's conclusive evidence, that's cool. i'll admit that i apparently didn't see the overhead angle, just the one from the sideline where it looks like holmes has got the ball close to but not breaking the plane. do you have a link to video of it? i'd really like to see a conclusive answer.

it was fun watching dallas lose, though, especially in their last game in texas stadium. one of the only times i've enjoyed watching the ravens take it to someone.

I find it very interesting that it's only the players from the Steelers that are noticing all of this alleged holding. They wouldn't be biased or anything - would they?

It's only the STEELERS players commenting on it. But those players from other teams wouldn't be biased or anything - would they?

Sorry, but if you have not paid attention, the STEELERS players called out the refs for pussifying the league. The refs are not intentiionally screwing the STEELERS, but it is obvious they are not going to call the penalty on them unless it is blatent and they have no choice. It's also obvious that the STEELERS have been able to overcome this obsticle.

It's only the STEELERS players commenting on it. But those players from other teams wouldn't be biased or anything - would they?

Sorry, but if you have not paid attention, the STEELERS players called out the refs for pussifying the league. The refs are not intentiionally screwing the STEELERS, but it is obvious they are not going to call the penalty on them unless it is blatent and they have no choice. It's also obvious that the STEELERS have been able to overcome this obsticle.

So if the refs are doing exactly what the Steelers asked for - why are they commenting on it?

I honestly don't give a damn if the Steelers "get away" with this or that.

They play hard, unlike our Browns, and they WIN.

Of coarse everyone is going to whine about it when it's their team losing to the Steelers.

I'm sick of hearing people bitch, piss and moan about the Steelers while we wallow in mediocrity year after year, I want the BROWNS to be the team that wins year in and out everyone bitches about.

I honestly don't give a damn if the Steelers "get away" with this or that.

They play hard, unlike our Browns, and they WIN.

Of coarse everyone is going to whine about it when it's their team losing to the Steelers.

I'm sick of hearing people bitch, piss and moan about the Steelers while we wallow in mediocrity year after year, I want the BROWNS to be the team that wins year in and out everyone bitches about.

as soon as that dumb ASS Romeo is gone there will be a Major Turn around! How long did we have to put up with John Coopers Shit? Thank God for Jim Tressel

as soon as that dumb ASS Romeo is gone there will be a Major Turn around! How long did we have to put up with John Coopers Shit? Thank God for Jim Tressel

I just don't see it.

We need the right guy, no one with experience is going to want to come here with anything less than total control and going for another unproven is just tossing the dice again.

We need a miracle.

And a new front office.

And pretty much a new coaching staff.

And a new group of linebackers.

And more depth on the oline.

And at least one more "real" receiver.

And a running back.

And a lighter/ faster defensive end.

And a staph free medical facility.

But outside of those things, we're almost there!

Who gives a shit! the steelers SUCK!

Kicked your ass year in and year out. If we win this week and put in our second team nest week, you might win a game though. Good luck with that.

As far as the browns becoming a better team without Romeo, I agree in part. Romeo is one of the dumbest coaches in football but was put in place and kept in place by YOUR owners. Poor decisions on your leadership above Romeo have played a huge part in the problem.

Personally, I want Cleveland to become a powerhouse team. I don't like pushover games and want our division to be feared throughout the NFL. Nobody fears Cleveland because everyone knows that somehow the coach, players, owners, etc... will screw up the day for Cleveland. What Cleveland needs is a change of mind set. You have had the draft picks and should have been a much better team than you are. It's frustrating even as a division rival. Although it is nice to see some of the douchebag cleveland fans so upset. I feel for the long time fan that are not a-holes.

I find it very interesting that it's only the players from the Steelers that are noticing all of this alleged holding. They wouldn't be biased or anything - would they?

well you have a point there.... however, we are talking Offensive Holding a penalty that they say "Can be call on almost any play you see in the NFL... and 6 games 24 quarters ?? I dont know brother.

It's us fans that are saying something about it. So far the players are just laughing and still kicking ass.

Actually, it's the players that are making the comments in the article - not the fans.

i haven't seen that replay, i guess. less denial, just simple ignorance. if there's conclusive evidence, that's cool. i'll admit that i apparently didn't see the overhead angle, just the one from the sideline where it looks like holmes has got the ball close to but not breaking the plane. do you have a link to video of it? i'd really like to see a conclusive answer.

it was fun watching dallas lose, though, especially in their last game in texas stadium. one of the only times i've enjoyed watching the ravens take it to someone.

I have no evidence more than you.............I was just informed by two sources one the NFL that video sources (overhead ??? reported as one) ...showed the ball breaking the plane and him having possession and two feet down

meanwhile........Dallas getting whipped was so cool

Actually, it's the players that are making the comments in the article - not the fans.

The players are humorously laughing it off.... what you gonna do ? didnt hurt us too much.... Till today, and Today ...when just plain got our Jocks torn out and stuffed in our mouths ! YUCK !

Archived