THE BROWNS BOARD

Report: Cavs' LeBron may forgo free agency

plumcrazy73

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8971638...rgo-free-agency

CLEVELAND (AP) - LeBron James said he'll consider signing an extension with the Cleveland Cavaliers this summer, well before he enters the free-agent market in 2010.

"You play out the season of course; I will consider it," James told Cleveland's The Plain Dealer before the team practiced in Denver on Saturday. "The direction we are headed is everything I expected and more."

James, under contract for two more seasons, can hit the free-agent market on July 1, 2010. There has long been speculation James will eventually end up in one of the NBA's larger markets — particularly with the New York Knicks.

The Cavaliers (22-4) have the second-best record in the NBA.

"I definitely want to keep an open mind, I will look at everything," James said. "(The extension) is a good point. I think me and my group have pretty much made good decisions so far and we'll look at the options and go from there."

James signed a three-year, $43 million deal with the Cavaliers in 2006. The deal includes a player option for 2010-11 worth $17.4 million.

• 2 weeks later...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8971638...rgo-free-agency

CLEVELAND (AP) - LeBron James said he'll consider signing an extension with the Cleveland Cavaliers this summer, well before he enters the free-agent market in 2010.

"You play out the season of course; I will consider it," James told Cleveland's The Plain Dealer before the team practiced in Denver on Saturday. "The direction we are headed is everything I expected and more."

James, under contract for two more seasons, can hit the free-agent market on July 1, 2010. There has long been speculation James will eventually end up in one of the NBA's larger markets — particularly with the New York Knicks.

The Cavaliers (22-4) have the second-best record in the NBA.

"I definitely want to keep an open mind, I will look at everything," James said. "(The extension) is a good point. I think me and my group have pretty much made good decisions so far and we'll look at the options and go from there."

James signed a three-year, $43 million deal with the Cavaliers in 2006. The deal includes a player option for 2010-11 worth $17.4 million.

Old news but I'm hoping he sticks around. Mo Williams is the X factor this year and I'd love to see a big move for a prime time free agent. There were Vince Carter rumors but I'm not sure I'd want VC on the Cavies.

So add the Cavs to your frontrunner portfolio. The Steelers, Buckeyes, and Cavs. Wow. That's about as bad as it gets. You do realize that all you did was pick the best teams? And I'm going to throw out there that you being a Cavs fan is a relatively new phenomenom, meaning within the last 4-5 years.

So the Indians over the Pirates too? Though the Indians don't win EVERY year so it's probably more like the Yankees or Red Sox.

How do you claim to be a fan?

I wouldn't be too concerned about this right now. Alot can happen between now and the end of next season. I firmly believe that LeBron wants to play where he can win a championship... not necessarily where the most money is. I know he talks up New York, but the Knicks don't have a better chance of winning anything than the Cavaliers. Yes, the Knicks are clearing cap room in the hopes of landing LeBron, but they would use it all on him and couldn't give him a solid supporting cast. He has that with the Cavaliers. The way this season is going so far, why would he want to be anywhere else? Excellent owner, GM, coach, and teammates. It will only get better.

Archived