dawg08

Why we lost:

1. Defense can't get a sack to save their lives

2. Stuckey's fumble fingers

3. Cribb's injury

4. No discernible talent at the WR position

5. Time of possession, Jets: 47.08 Browns: 27.36

6. Eric "can't cover shit" Wright

HC, OC, and DC aren't on that list. I remembered to forget more football than you ever forgot to remember...or something like that.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tell me when I said throw it deep. I said downfield was never an option for us. You don't have to have a Randy Moss to have downfield threat. You can run 5 linemen as wideouts and have a downfield threat. Just because Cribbs is out doesn't give Daboll carte blanche to stop sending any receivers on a fly.

It's football 101....you send your receivers downfield to spread the field. It's called a smokeout, and it's the basis of the spread offense. Running them downfield gives the defense less defenders to work with in order to stop the run. It's especially effective against defenses that blitz heavily (like the Jets defense), because once the runningback clears the first level (the blitz), the second level is cleared and all that is in front of him is the defensive secondary which is occupied by offensive wideouts. The wideouts that were sent on the fly then can provide downfield blocks. The smokeout is perfect for teams with no legitimate receiving threats, because after being gouged by the run, the secondary will either start to cheat in or play the deep routes very soft, expecting the offense to run.

BUT... since Cribbs is out, we pack everything in tight and run the ball. The Jets are easily able to stack the box, and even if they didn't, our low number routes (crosses, hitches) compact the defensive players in tight which gives the runningback even more defenders to beat. The low number routes are great when you have YAC recievers, but I haven't really seen one of those on our roster in a while. And then, when we get stifled on the run, we run the low number routes that keep our receivers underneath the sticks, which puts us in third down because....once again....we have no YAC recievers.

Like I said before, our two wins were influenced heavily by trick plays and great defensive plays. Once you take those two things away, it exploits Daboll's playcalling.

go ask the saints, pats and now the jets if all we have is trick plays. pleeeeez. dude, it ain't that bad! look at the positives and have a drink.

go ask the saints, pats and now the jets if all we have is trick plays. pleeeeez. dude, it ain't that bad! look at the positives and have a drink.

You do realize that the Saints and the Pats game each had like 4 trick plays in them? And they all either were plays we scored on, or set up a future score.

It's not that bad, I still am encouraged by what I see. But I'm not drinking the Kool Aid like everyone else is. Everyone was saying how we're playoff bound or a force to be reckoned with after only two wins. We've proven we can compete, I agree. But I'm not proclaiming us to be out of the cellar just yet.

You do realize that the Saints and the Pats game each had like 4 trick plays in them? And they all either were plays we scored on, or set up a future score.

It's not that bad, I still am encouraged by what I see. But I'm not drinking the Kool Aid like everyone else is. Everyone was saying how we're playoff bound or a force to be reckoned with after only two wins. We've proven we can compete, I agree. But I'm not proclaiming us to be out of the cellar just yet.

No one really give a xxxx what you proclaim.

Why we lost:

3. Cribb's injury

HC, OC, and DC aren't on that list. I remembered to forget more football than you ever forgot to remember...or something like that.

this is one of the few posts in this thread displaying common sense.. I agree with all 6 reasons but would also add: 7. Fujita and Brown both got hurt too.. Haden played very well, but Fujita would have given us a better chance of wrapping up Sanchez..

Why we lost:

3. Cribb's injury

Cribbs injury shouldn't have had the catastrophic effect it did on our offense. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

I will agree with everything else though. It wasn't solely on Daboll, and I don't want him fired. But his normal playcalling has got to improve still. Trick plays are all well and good, and so is the WildDawg. But once you take Cribbs away, you need to be able to still constantly maintain an offensive presence.

Granted, that's hard to do when the offense never sees the field in the second half. But that's just gives you even more reason to capitalize on the few chances you do get.

everybody does realize that we are fans of the same team here right? i mean we shouldn't be screaming at each other but instead we should all be happy in the fact that we aren't seeing thread titles like 'SAME OLD BROWNS'. i don't think anyone thought that we'd make the playoffs, just some wishful thinking is all, and there should be nothing wrong with that. if i was in the bar right now with all of you i'd by a round. there would be no hanging of the heads or bad-mouthing of our team. we'd all be standing together proud and toast the resurgence of THE CLEVELAND BROWNS!!!!! prost/cheers!!!!!

GO BROWNS!!!!

everybody does realize that we are fans of the same team here right? i mean we shouldn't be screaming at each other but instead we should all be happy in the fact that we aren't seeing thread titles like 'SAME OLD BROWNS'. i don't think anyone thought that we'd make the playoffs, just some wishful thinking is all, and there should be nothing wrong with that. if i was in the bar right now with all of you i'd by a round. there would be no hanging of the heads or bad-mouthing of our team. we'd all be standing together proud and toast the resurgence of THE CLEVELAND BROWNS!!!!! prost/cheers!!!!!

GO BROWNS!!!!

Agreed. But Tim Couch pulls out is a punk.

But you've still yet to provide a reason.

I can sit here and say you're a robot, but it doesn't mean jack shit unless there's proof.

Just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't make it any less true.

You are making his point for him.

Seriously though stop bickering and rally behind this team. We lost a hard fought game and there are a million things that you have changed to make us win this game...Not just 1 thing.

If Colt's pass to Watson on first down at the 2 is 1 foot lower its a 30 yard gain and a chance to win.

If Stuckey doesn't fumble we have a chance to win.

They play calling wasn't GREAT today, but it wasn't bad. Get real guys...swallow the tough loss and lets move on to next week.

The problem with that play was it was only a 1 receiver set, giving McCoy only one deep option which he overthrew. If more receivers were in play maybe there would've been a greater chance of success in getting a big play.

The problem with that play was it was only a 1 receiver set, giving McCoy only one deep option which he overthrew. If more receivers were in play maybe there would've been a greater chance of success in getting a big play.

shoulda. woulda. coulda. let's gear up for next week.

You are making his point for him.

Seriously though stop bickering and rally behind this team. We lost a hard fought game and there are a million things that you have changed to make us win this game...Not just 1 thing.

I'm not making any point. I'm being a rational, realistic fan. I'm not bickering. He called me a punk and a pussy just because he didn't like what I had to say.

I'm not satisfied with a loss. We played well, and that's something to be proud of. But it's still a loss, and losing is something I have a hard time swallowing.

That's part of the problem with this franchise since we came back, so many previous coaches have been happy just with competing. It's always been "Oh, we're an expansion team and we only lost by one touchdown. That's pretty good" or "We're rebuilding and at least we didn't get blown out of the water." I'm happy to see this team fight, really I am. And I know it's got to be taken one step at a time. But in order to turn the corner, you've got to stop being satisfied by losing a close game. And that means breaking down what you did wrong. Second guessing every mistake that was made. Because it's only then that you get better. That's the player in me, I guess, and I'm not going to apologize for it.

WOW!! What the hell was Daboll thinking there! Terrible play calling and playing not to lose!! This is just another reason to fire this POS!!

What a way to lose a game!!

Whoa. Our defense just shit the bed. That was their worst performance of the season. And you want to get rid of Daboll? Dude, your focusing on the wrong Coordinator.

lok guys dont get all upset....for some reason refs and "(hmmm)" seem to favor the "big skyline" cities....im livid about this loss we shoulda had it....however why did i feel like i shoulda bet the farm on the jets since thursday......(for those of you who dont get it im saying the NFL is fixed)

what are you talking about? the refs seems to favor the big skyline cities? the Jets have the 3rd most penalties in football. what call by the refs helped the jets to win the game??? id love to hear this explanation.

Oh, and Revis was covering Moore because Revis is no longer considered the number one corner in New York. He hasn't been all season. Cromartie has been the #1 all season.

Revis has been covering slot receivers and #2 receivers since coming back from his injury.

It's nothing to do with our lack of playmakers as it's just the basics of setting up a defense.

Once again, something you would know if you knew jackshit about anything.

Last week Revis covered Calvin Johnson the entire game. Johnson finished with 1 catch for 13 yards. He's clearly the #1 cornerback now.

Last week Revis covered Calvin Johnson the entire game. Johnson finished with 1 catch for 13 yards. He's clearly the #1 cornerback now.

He did get the Megatron assingment last week. But there were still combo coverages, and Megatron was only targeted four times that game.

Last week was also the first time this season Revis has gotten the #1 nod. As Boomer says, One time is a fluke, two's a trend.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...rns_corner.html

Why we lost:

3. Cribb's injury

#6 should be #1

and you could add a #7- Refs inability to call holding on several 3rd down plays that the jets converted!

He did get the Megatron assingment last week. But there were still combo coverages, and Megatron was only targeted four times that game.

Last week was also the first time this season Revis has gotten the #1 nod. As Boomer says, One time is a fluke, two's a trend.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...rns_corner.html

megatron was targeted four times that game because a healthy Revis was covering him not because they just didnt want to throw him the ball lol

#6 should be #1

and you could add a #7- Refs inability to call holding on several 3rd down plays that the jets converted!

dude, you cannot blame the referees on that loss today. as you know the browns had a few GREAT chances to win that game. actually the refs called a couple of big holding penalties on the jets, including a phantom hold on brandon moore. cmon man you gotta be better than that, blaming the refs for that type of loss. blame eric wright, blame stucky, blame it on the fact the browns defense couldnt get off the field in the 3rd quarter. blame it on anything other than the refs.

Archived