THE BROWNS BOARD

Fighting in the locker room

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

From PFT:

BROWNS FIGHTING AMONG THEMSELVES?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 21, 2008, 1:34 p.m.

We got a tip this morning from a reader about a possible recent altercation in Cleveland. And so we started contacting some of our sources, and the current indication is that something indeed happened.

One source said that the rumor in the locker room is that one player hit another player with a weight, and that the player who was on the receiving end of said weight might have been quarterback Brady Quinn.

We’re trying to track down more information. And, of course, now that the cat is out of the proverbial bag, others will be doing the same.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whoever did this, unless it's a bona fide star, is likely gone. it'll be interesting to see what the fallout of this is. team chemistry always suffers when there's protracted losing, but this is ridiculous. hitting someone with a weight is cowardly and cheap.

why do i get the feeling it was shaun smith? somehow, this just has his name written all over it to me.

I would have to say Butch is way better than RAC. RAC and PS should be fired right away and let are bad OC Chud coach the last game and send him packing to. Who ever hit him with the weight is probably DA's boy that's mad that he is the QB of the future, or maybe RAC put a bounty on BQ. We all know he hates BQ. WHAT A JOKE.

i don't who got hit with a weight, but whoever it was (unless it was Pontbriand, Dawson, or Zastudil) deserved it. It was butt cold out there today. i lasted three quarters-which is two more than most of the players on our team. i'm an idiot. Hit me with a weight.

You're only joking, right? This is the kind of crap I expect of high school students and gang bangers...not professional athletes (keyword there being "professional").

Yeah i was joking about whoever got hit deserved it. i wasn't joking that the players gave up after one quarter or that i'm an idiot for sitting in the cold to watch them.

... and it's pretty clear that Crennel is getting fired and this is going to be Quinn's team.

It's been in the newspaper and on TV for several weeks that Crennel is getting fired. That's not news. It's not Quinn's team. Whoever is named the Head Coach will annoint Quinn as the QB. That's a layup. A good coach will have him on a short leash- say 20 games. i think BQ will respond.

However, Quinn will not outlast the next HC.

it's only natural for players, especially defensive ones, to dislike a QB with a golden boy image, especially when those players support a coach that's clashing with said savior.

quinn also didn't win himself any support when he went to mccain's rally. while politics and race have nothing to do with the game itself, he definitely hurt his chemistry with some of the team by being outspoken.

that's not meant to start a political flame war, it's meant to be an objective statement of fact. don't discuss the actual politics behind the situation, just the way they affected it.

also, everyone's the same color when a team is winning.

last, crennel's an awful evaluator of talent, a horrible gameday coach and sticks with guys who aren't getting it done for far too long. he's a coordinator, not a head coach, and getting rid of him and installing a new regime to focus the team on football will do a lot to cure the ills that we're seeing right now.

when the guys are focused on football, the petty shit goes out the window.

http://www.cleveland.com/livingston/index....ut_of_sigh.html

(From Livingston today)

Dorsey was at the controls of Hurricanes team that won 34 games in a row before Ohio State's front four overpowered his previously sturdy offensive line in a stunning Fiesta Bowl upset.

He was surrounded by talent everywhere. He could hand the ball off to Willis McGahee, who had hocus-pocus moves and great speed. He could throw glorified handoffs to elusive Kellen Winslow Jr., before the broken leg suffered with the Browns trying to recover the onside kick, before the ravages of the motorcycle injury here, before the surgeries and the staph infections. He had Andre Johnson and Roscoe Parrish as wide receivers. He could unleash inclement elements that were the figurative equal of the real ones on any given Sunday at the lakefront. He was the calm eye of a perfect storm.

Brady Quinn, the Browns' back-up quarterback, who was knocked out of the starting lineup soon after his overdue ascension, was the other side of the same coin.

Notre Dame has fallen off the map in college football since he left. He might have slid in the draft until 22nd in the first round in 2007, but the rest of his teammates did not go higher than the third round. While six other Irish players were taken overall, only two were offensive players. Neither was a skill position player.

The inference is that Quinn made the players around him better, and that the players around Dorsey made him something he is not. That, it appears, would be a quarterback in the NFL.

Bruce Drennan reported tonight on STO that it was Quinn and Shaun Smith involved in the fight.

I hope Smith won since Quinn has a splint on his right hand to protect finger he had operated on.

If not Smith is a bigger girl than he showed on the field.

Bruce said Smith did not show up for his regular show on STO on Thursday and this may

have been the reason for to no-show.

From Googleing around:

"Quinn took exception to the idiot's (Smith) commentary (from one of his STO spots) and they got into it. Just what we need: A scrub DL playing talking head instead of playing football. See you later Shawn...you suck anyway. Glad to see Quinn isn't going to take this crap from some non-performing piece of garbage. At least he is showing some character."

quinn also didn't win himself any support when he went to mccain's rally. while politics and race have nothing to do with the game itself, he definitely hurt his chemistry with some of the team by being outspoken

What the F is that supposed to mean? So because Quinn is a Republican and supports the party, he is anti-black??? So it is ok for the blacks to stand up and be heard because the US had one running for president but it is not ok for a white to stand up for what he believes in??

Give me a F-ing break... if your moniker is a true reflection of what you are, it should not surprise me you came up with this BS of a response. I am down off my soapbox and wont respond any further, but I get f-ing sick and tired of the g-d race card BS.

what i meant was that by supporting a candidate that the majority of the team likely opposed, quinn didn't endear himself to that part of the team. does it have something to do with race? yes. obama's a black man and likely had the support of the majority of the black players on the team.

i never said it was wrong of him to do so, just that it's likely that some of his teammates disagreed with his choice of candidate.

do you disagree?

what i meant was that by supporting a candidate that the majority of the team likely opposed, quinn didn't endear himself to that part of the team. does it have something to do with race? yes. obama's a black man and likely had the support of the majority of the black players on the team.

i never said it was wrong of him to do so, just that it's likely that some of his teammates disagreed with his choice of candidate.

do you disagree?

Gotcha. My bad... I thought you were turning it around..... so, I open mouth, enter foot on this one.

do you disagree?

Bull Shit.........................you aren't in the locker room and shouldn't try to assume who the members of this team supported or opposed.

More likely, it was Smith who is the biggest trash talker on the team running his big mouth. He's an asshole.

I still don't buy it. I have plenty of friends who are black and know that I was a McCain supporter. We had our political arguments, but nothing ever came of it. Politics is just a side-show. It doesnt actually affect people's relationships or views of each other, aside from Radicals and Revolutionaries.

Like it or not it all comes back to lerner for tolorating this crap so long at every level its absolutely rediculous rac should have been canned at the bye week and savage after the season it couldnt have been any worse with tucker or chud running the show...

@ ytown: i agree that smith's an asshole who needs to shut his mouth. all dude does is talk and sound like a moron. i wish quinn had hit him with the weight and knocked his teeth out.

you're right that i don't know what goes on in the locker room. do you think it's too much of a stretch to assume that there are, in a predominantly black sport, a fairly high percentage of obama supporters?

@ d'qwimbley: i think the difference is that those dudes are your friends. quinn and his teammates aren't necessarily friends, they're co-workers, people who might not get along to begin with.

@ ytown: i agree that smith's an asshole who needs to shut his mouth. all dude does is talk and sound like a moron. i wish quinn had hit him with the weight and knocked his teeth out.

you're right that i don't know what goes on in the locker room. do you think it's too much of a stretch to assume that there are, in a predominantly black sport, a fairly high percentage of obama supporters?

@ d'qwimbley: i think the difference is that those dudes are your friends. quinn and his teammates aren't necessarily friends, they're co-workers, people who might not get along to begin with.

I agreee with Jewdago - something like 97% of blacks voters chose Obama. It's not a stretch that the football teams are the same. We know Willie McGinest supported Obama.

If this sparked it, it shows what kind of control RAC has (or Phil is bringing in bad character guys).

As far as lifting, Quinn could easily lift with a splint on the finger - he had the surgery several weeks ago, and many exercises wouldn't strain the finger; not to mention the trainers probably know how to work around these types of injuries (or at least they *should*).

Damn shame what this season has become.

Like it or not it all comes back to lerner for tolorating this crap so long at every level its absolutely rediculous rac should have been canned at the bye week and savage after the season it couldnt have been any worse with tucker or chud running the show...

I agree....I said 6 games ago.....what possible good can come of keeping a lame duck HC in there??? Why do some of these owners go that route? So they don't ruin the season? Wtf???...it was ruined after the first 3 games. In my opinion, it has been a lot more embarrassing to keep Crennel, than to fire him early. I'm really starting to get worried.....is it possible that Lerner is thinking about letting Crennel stay??? Just shoot me now.

Archived