THE BROWNS BOARD

Fighting in the locker room

Guest Aloysius

According to Jim Donovan, Sean Smith and Quinn got into a verbal confrontation, and all of a sudden, Smith punched Quinn in the face.

A big defensive lineman, sucker punching a qb with a fixed broken finger in the face? We don't need "defensive" linemen like this on the Browns.

Just another giant dummy who couldn't care less about football, only the money. The Browns need to replace Sean Smith trashheaps like this with

players who love the game, and want to win.

Although, it IS near the end of football season, so Smith probably just came out of hibernation, and desperately needs food - about a ton of anything a day.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I blame that on Romeo too.

By leaving this dude in charge we are really f--king this team up .

you blame Romeo for Quinn starting a fight and getting his ass kicked?

face facts pl3tnum, Quinn just isn't a leader. He's a pompous prick who his teammates don't like. It started when he walked in after his holdout like he owned the place.

you blame Romeo for Quinn starting a fight and getting his ass kicked?

face facts pl3tnum, Quinn just isn't a leader. He's a pompous prick who his teammates don't like. It started when he walked in after his holdout like he owned the place.

Yeah...I'm sure you're right. Shaun Smith...now there's a leader. Idiot.

Guest Aloysius

Cutting Shaun Smith looks like the move to make, and it may not be as cap-costly as I thought.

Previously, I understood Shaun Smith to have received a $3.6M signing bonus up front with his deal. If that's the case, then cutting Shaun Smith would result in a cap charge equal to the two remaining proprated portions of his signing bonus - $1.8M.

But I checked rotoworld and it says that Smith's contract includes $3.6M in bonuses. If that money is paid out in roster bonuses, then it'll be a lot cheaper to cut Shaun.

Which is a good thing.

Talk about not knowing anything and demonizing a player based on conjecture. Did someone post up any facts or stories that prove Smith was at fault? Quinn because of what exactly is innocent how?

Shep lay off the its Quinn's team he took a dump in his 3 starts and proved nothing. As for leadership when was the last story of any starting qb getting into a lockerroom fight?

Who really cares anyways if these highly paid mercenaries fight in the lockerroom. The race factor and political links have zero validity in this story because no one knows, that was just personal conjecture.

I'm starting to think this is a non-story. I think the fighting with your brother example above makes sense, as well as Shep's team in free-fall point.

When you haven't scored an offensive touchdown in months, you can't win at home, the crowd boo's every week, there's talk of firings, and on and on, there is going to be very little hand holding and Kumbayah-ing going on.

All no biggie to me.

By the way, if I'm Quinn, I would not have gone to introduce McCain. Vote and support for who you want, but he could have been more sensitive to the fact that Obama becoming president is a huge deal for the black community. No, you're not going to piss off every black guy on the team, but a little sensitivity would have made some sense to me. It's probably forgotten by now, so just water under the bridge.

By the way, if I'm Quinn, I would not have gone to introduce McCain. Vote and support for who you want, but he could have been more sensitive to the fact that Obama becoming president is a huge deal for the black community. No, you're not going to piss off every black guy on the team, but a little sensitivity would have made some sense to me. It's probably forgotten by now, so just water under the bridge.

Barf.

Guest Aloysius
This team is so fragmented, it's crazy.

Came out today that Crennel did NOT want Beau Bell... we traded up to get him... and he apparently had leprosy when he didn't have a dinged knee.

Here's the Mary Kay Cabot article that first reported it:

Analysis: Does Crennel deserve to be the fall guy?

I must say: if this is the best "analysis" Mary Kay can do, she better stick to straight reporting.

And I wish she had dug a little deeper on this story. In addition to reading that RAC didn't like Beau Bell, I'd be interested to know who RAC did like. Was there a mid-round ILB that he thought would be a better fit for our defense?

Apparently, Mary Kay didn't think to ask that question.

Secondly, I'm in the minority here who think players should vote for whomever they please but keep it to themselves... and in this election more than any other. NFL locker rooms are 75% black and McCain's opponent was a historic black candidate.

They are professionals. If you think they should act that way, then all professionals should. I'm in favor others accepting your beliefs and choices as your own and not being offended that you don't think exactly the same way they do. We shouldn't cater to those who are ultra-sensitive. That's how I feel, and I am cool with you feeling how you feel.

Here's the Mary Kay Cabot article that first reported it:

Analysis: Does Crennel deserve to be the fall guy?

I must say: if this is the best "analysis" Mary Kay can do, she better stick to straight reporting.

And I wish she had dug a little deeper on this story. In addition to reading that RAC didn't like Beau Bell, I'd be interested to know who RAC did like. Was there a mid-round ILB that he thought would be a better fit for our defense?

Apparently, Mary Kay didn't think to ask that question.

I agree Mary Kay isn't exactly a good analyst...or even interviewer...but the info there sure makes you wonder if it wasn't MORE Savage than Romeo who was the problem.

Just by adding Sheppard/Law and Horn....the possibilities for the Browns would have been GREATLY improved.

I wouldn't be surprised if that would have given us and extra lift enough to beat Washington, Baltimore (#2), Denver, Houston, Indianapolis, and of course Cinci #2. Having the extra go-to WR would have changed the game play of the offense and we could very easily have avoided the QB injuries...and may even have DA as QB right now (and be in a great place for trading either DA or BQ after the season). Having a vet in the DB...that could have stopped some of those late game meltdowns that we suffered through.

Sounds to me Savage spent too heavily and backed himself into a corner and unable to adjust to the injuries we suffered.

A few of you may recall back in camp that I predicted Shaun Smith and his foot in mouth would become an issue. I said at the time that a real coach would reel him in before he continued to spiral out of control and did something really stupidass.

It's quite evident that RAC let's Smith do whatever he wants, while at the same time Smith continues to let being a guy on the STO show make his head fatter than it already is. Don't forget, this guy didn't play a few games because he chose not to go with a cast.

I liked him last year, but his act is beyond old and the guy literally thinks he's the core of this team and its mouthpiece.

Got news for you fatso, you need to go. A guy like Parcells or Coughlin would have canned his too fat to play DE ass a long time ago.

How many of you guys watch that show with him on STO? Is it just me, or is he a complete buffoon on there?

you mean the loss to denver who average qb rating of opposing qb's this ENTIRE season was over 100? really? its not quinn hate its hate over rookie's who have done nothing to deserve any sort of fan support. Get over this Quinn rabid support, he did not win games and threw even worse than anderson in the oh my thats right COCKPIT... remember that Greythan.

Leadership in a locker room fight with other players, you here that all the time from Brady, and either manning or any other starting qb....

The demonizing of Smith is Retarded considering no one really knows anything to blame anyone.

This team is flawed from the top meaning ownership who gives the keys to Phil Savage... RAC is just a figurehead. Leadership.... that is exactly what we are missing from this 100+ million dollar franchise. We dont need leadership from a kid who just graduated but Business and ownership level leadership along with general manager to coaching.

you mean the loss to denver who average qb rating of opposing qb's this ENTIRE season was over 100? really? its not quinn hate its hate over rookie's who have done nothing to deserve any sort of fan support. Get over this Quinn rabid support, he did not win games and threw even worse than anderson in the oh my thats right COCKPIT... remember that Greythan.

Leadership in a locker room fight with other players, you here that all the time from Brady, and either manning or any other starting qb....

The demonizing of Smith is Retarded considering no one really knows anything to blame anyone.

This team is flawed from the top meaning ownership who gives the keys to Phil Savage... RAC is just a figurehead. Leadership.... that is exactly what we are missing from this 100+ million dollar franchise. We dont need leadership from a kid who just graduated but Business and ownership level leadership along with general manager to coaching.

I was demonizing Smith way before this supposed issue, so let's just say I'm not surprised one bit.

Oh, and BTW, you're agenda to try to prove you're correct about Derek Bear is friggin boring.

You people that are hoping for the worst from Quinn are way worse than the people you claim hated Derek Bear unjustly. Not to mention, your facts suck ass. Quinn looked damn good while he was in there. He put 30 and 29 points his first two starts.

Give me a break. YAWN

OSU...that 100 plus QBR was with 1 DAY OF PRACTICE as the starter. Not a full week like all the other guys had.

And, just so you know, BQ still ended up with a BETTER QBR than DA, even playing 2 of his 3 games with a broken finger and tendon damage.

Guest Aloysius

@WPB: I think Savage did screw up in not signing a veteran receiver, though the larger mistake may have been signing a fragile FA in Stallworth when he already knew that Jurevicius was iffy for this year.

But I can understand where Savage is coming from. If you go against the grain of Cabot's thesis, you can see that RAC wanted veterans at every spot: bring in Willie Mac, re-sign Brian Russell (who's rapidly aged in Seattle), bring in Ty Law, etc.

At some point, Phil must have said to him, "Dammit, Romeo. Why don't you play some of the players I drafted for you?!"

Which gets at another problem in Cabot's analysis. She matter-of-factly states that Phil hasn't provided Romeo with the players to run a 3-4, but she doesn't consider the possibility that Romeo hasn't properly developed the players Savage has picked.

There's a kind of nature vs. nurture debate that could be had there, and Cabot totally misses it.

@WPB: I think Savage did screw up in not signing a veteran receiver, though the larger mistake may have been signing a fragile FA in Stallworth when he already knew that Jurevicius was iffy for this year.

But I can understand where Savage is coming from. If you go against the grain of Cabot's thesis, you can see that RAC wanted veterans at every spot: bring in Willie Mac, re-sign Brian Russell (who's rapidly aged in Seattle), bring in Ty Law, etc.

At some point, Phil must have said to him, "Dammit, Romeo. Why don't you play some of the players I drafted for you?!"

Which gets at another problem in Cabot's analysis. She matter-of-factly states that Phil hasn't provided Romeo with the players to run a 3-4, but she doesn't consider the possibility that Romeo hasn't properly developed the players Savage has picked.

There's a kind of nature vs. nurture debate that could be had there, and Cabot totally misses it.

that's what I get for reading fast...I missed that SHE missed it.

duh....

that's what I get for reading fast...I missed that SHE missed it.

duh....

John, Mary Kay is a nice gal, but she is completely partial toward RAC because she thinks he's such a nice man.

He is a nice man, but he's not a good head coach and this has been proven.

Guest Aloysius

More from Mary Kay:

Crennel won't confirm or deny reported altercation between Brady Quinn and Shaun Smith

And this is interesting:

Crennel did acknowledge that Smith got into a heated confrontation with an offensive lineman at practice recently, but that to his knowledge it didn't get physical.

"Guys get heated at practice,'' he said. "There was some discussion (between Shaun and an offensive lineman).''

The Channel 3 report said that Smith and Quinn also had a verbal confrontation.

Sounds like Shaun's been pissing everybody off, and Quinn called him out on it.

John, Mary Kay is a nice gal, but she is completely partial toward RAC because she thinks he's such a nice man.

He is a nice man, but he's not a good head coach and this has been proven.

Oh, I agree RAC isn't a good coach...but I am now rethinking Savage. If he is really not listening to his coach and what his coach needs....then he is either deliberately sabotaging him...or he doesn't play well with others and may need to go as well.

Anyway,

back to the locker room.

I know nobody knows what happened...but we know 2 things.

RAC and BQ have NOT gotten along

Smith LOVES RAC

So, I wouldn't doubt that with BQ in the weight room...there are a number of ways for that pair to go off...but I would have a tendency to believe that Smith would be the initiator.

Likely scenarios?

Smith makes a snide comment about "here comes the savior"

BQ tries to talk up somebody and Smith says something about him not even being on the field and/or BQ calls him out for quitting...either one can start that one.

Smith asks BQ if he is satisfied (that RAC is gone)

So many ways for this to happen when you have guys with opposite feelings about the HC.

Guest Aloysius
Mary Kay is a nice gal, but she is completely partial toward RAC because she thinks he's such a nice man.

Well, at least she's a better reporter than this guy:

You know you've done something incredibly dumb when Terry Bradshaw's calling you an idiot.

How many of you guys watch that show with him on STO? Is it just me, or is he a complete buffoon on there?

He is a total Idiot, I watched jump all over some woman who was calling in, and he really jumped her and embarrased her for no reason.

Dinkins confirms it:

Cleveland Browns TE Dinkins says Quinn and Smith did have an altercation

Posted by Mary Kay Cabot December 22, 2008 15:28PM

BEREA -- Browns tight end Darnell Dinkins confirmed on the WQAL 104-FM this morning that an altercation occurred between Browns quarterback Brady Quinn and defensive lineman Shaun Smith last week and that Quinn had a mark on his face.

Dinkins also said on the show that coach Romeo Crennel was very upset about the incident and took care of it. Dinkins said he did not see the incident take place, according to CBS Radio Senior Vice President Chris Maduri. He also said Dinkins was asked if a weight was thrown at Quinn and Dinkins said he didn't know.

WKYC's Jim Donovan reported that Smith punched Quinn in the face after verbal spat between the two. Smith was inactive for the Bengals game because of a coaches' decision, Crennel said Monday. Crennel refused to confirm or deny the incident, saying: "If it did happen, we're keeping it in house.''

And there is this piece of conjecture:

And just to take this one step further, a commenter on The Big Lead says this is how it went down.

there’s truth to the story…and from someone i know who works for the browns (through a friend of a friend) here’s what ive heard.

brady and shaun were going back and forth just talking shit, brady says something about shaun’s wife, gets jacked in the eye. according to my dude, shaun was holding an ice pack to brady’s eye soon after saying, “you can’t say that shit, man.”

Yeah, come on Brady, everyone knows wives are off limits.

Kinda funny if that is the truth of it!!!

Archived