THE BROWNS BOARD

The real facts of chris wells!

bigred

Chris wells stats at ohio state:

FR: 104ATT 576YD 5.5AVG 7TD

Soph:274ATT 1609YD 5.9AVG 15TD

Jun:191ATT 1091YD 5.7AVg 8TD

These are just his rushing stats. He had more touchdowns receiving but didn't include.

For everybody that thinks he is always hurt, let's just look at it. His FR year he missed 1 game, Soph year no games, and this year 3 games. Do the math then he has missed 4 games out of 39. Pretty durable to me. Also when they played LSU last year I hope everybody remembers there great defense last year with Glen Dorsey and all the big boys up front right: He put up these numbers on them:

20ATT 146YD 7.3AVG 1TD. This is why you can't pass on him. We already did on AP hopfully not Wells if he is there of course.

Quinn and Wells for 09

while those are great stats and definitely make a strong case for drafting wells, you have to consider the other impact players that are available in this year's draft and what our greatest needs are.

cedric effing benson ran for 171 on 38 carries against us. we need help on D more than the indians of the '90s needed pitching.

it's also easier for a rookie RB drafted in any round to make an impact than it is for a player at any other position. we need that immediate impact at LB, and the guy to do it needs to be ready from day one. he can't need coaching to be effective.

we can build a RBBC through FA and a later draft pick, but to get a guy who's ready to be in on every play, we need to pick someone high in the draft.

we need aaron curry.

Our defense certainly needs help. However, I don't want to reach on a player just for need instead of BPA. I think you have to take both into consideration. This draft class is extremely deep at the LB position. I'm not saying we should take Wells over Curry (or Maualuga although I'm not high on him), but we need to look at where we are come April (after any FA aquisitions) and assess what our needs will be. Another consideration is who will fit within the team philosophy that our new coach (RAC better not be here) will implement.

I certainly like the idea of having Wells in the backfield with Quinn under center. But our defense definitely needs an identity and a leader. A stud LB would fit that bill nicely. I'm torn. Either way I think we must add an LB and an RB to the roster via the draft.

a guy like wells doesn't come outta the draft every year. there are great LBs coming out, but nothing out of the ordinary, you can look at any draft and find LBs just as good.

bottom line, we may not get another opportunity to get an RB like wells in the draft, when we def need someone to replace JL, harisson isn't that guy, even tho hes good. with better DC and coaching, we could put together late round LBs, and free agents to fill our LB core, and do fine this year. when you get a chance to grab a RB like wells, its not something you u just wanna pass up.

i say best scenario would be to grab wells with #1, and trade up to try and grab a LB in last 1st, or with our 2nd/3rd picks, heck, maybe with luck laurinaitis will drop and we can trade into late 1 to grab him. while ya it does sound a bit OSU biased, and maybe it is. wells #1 and laurinaitis #2 from teh draft would sound like a sucess to me.

If he played for someone other than O$U you would all be saying take a linebacker. Please.

If Wells played for Penn State I would still want him. You should really try being objective for the good of the Browns and not let your bias get in the way. This is a Brown's board, not an ignorant, Nittany Lion-loving, Buckeye-bashing board. At least that was the memo that I got.

By the way, good luck New Year's Day. As a Buckeye fan I will be pulling for the Nittany Lions to upset USC as any good Big Ten fan should.

If Wells played for Penn State I would still want him. You should really try being objective for the good of the Browns and not let your bias get in the way. This is a Brown's board, not an ignorant, Nittany Lion-loving, Buckeye-bashing board. At least that was the memo that I got.

By the way, good luck New Year's Day. As a Buckeye fan I will be pulling for the Nittany Lions to upset USC as any good Big Ten fan should.

Honestly, I have never touted any of the PSU guys. It just seems as soon as a Buckeye does well, we want him right off the bat. I disagree with the finding LB's later - I think it is much easier to get a RB later than a real good stud LB. Shon Greene DOES fit that role, as does Ringer. I honestly thought Ringer would be decimated as many carries as he got this year.

But since we are playing college, I think the Browns should get Derrick Williams in the 3rd round to give us the slot receiver we need as well as spelling Cribbs perhaps on punt returns.

That's all for now.

I'm torn between Maualuga-Green/Ringer or Beanie-Cushing/Matthews. I just feel like After Green Ringer, there isn't much. This draft is very deep in LBs so if we go Beanie, and Cushing/ Matthews are gone, we still have other options.

I'm not sold on Ringer and Moreno and probably McCoy will go before both.

Archived