THE BROWNS BOARD

2009 Cleveland Browns (Fill in the blanks)

PaulMcdonaldshoes

I had the opportunity to watch every stinking Brown's game this season. For the purpose of this topic, I am going to act as GM and Coach and put together 2009 Cleveland Browns based on the 2008 depth chart to help owner Randy Lerner make an informed decsion. I have separated the categories in terms of starters and those who should be traded, wavied or benched. I have also filled in players who were injured throughout year and may come back. I welcome other members of this forum to help me fill in the blanks either through the draft or free agency. There is nothing scientific about this nor do I have hair resembling Mel Kiper. Let's have some fun. Here we go.

Defense: (Going back to the 4-3)

DL:

Shaun Rodgers (keep)

Cory Williams (keep)

Shaun Smith (trade/wave)

Louis Leonard (Bench)

Santonio Thomas (Bench)

LB:

D'Qwell Jackson (keep)

Kamerion Wimbley (trade/wave)

Andra Davis (trade/wave)

Alex Hall (keep)

Leon Williams (Bench)

Willie McGinest (trade/wave)

Antwan Peek (Bench)

Kris Griffin (trade/wave)

Beau Bell (trade/wave)

Shantee Orr (Bench)

CB:

Eric Wright (keep)

Brandon Mcdonald (Bench)

Terry Cousins (trade/wave)

Travis Daniels (Bench)

Gerald Lawson (Bench)

SS:

Sean Jones (trade/wave)

Brodney Pool (keep)

Mike Adams (trade/wave)

Daven Holly (keep)

Nick Sorenson (bench)

Offense:

QB:

Brady Quinn (Keep)

Derek Anderson (trade/wave)

Ken Dorsey (trade/wave)

Bruce Gradkowski (trade/wave)

RB:

Jamal Lewis (trade/wave)

Jason Wright (Bench)

Jerome Harrison (Keep)

FB:

Lawrence Vickers (Keep)

Charles Ali (Bench)

Right Guard:

Ryan Tucker (Keep)

Rex Hadnot (Bench)

Left Guard:

Eric Steinbach (keep)

Scott Young (Bench)

Left Tackle:

Joe Thomas (keep)

Right Tackle:

Kevin Shaffer (bench)

Issac Sowells (trade/wave)

Center:

Hank Fraley (keep)

Seth McKinney (Bench)

TE:

Kellen Winslow (keep)

Darnell Dinkins (trade/wave)

Martin Rucker (keep)

Steve Heiden (keep)

WR:

Donte Stallworth (trade/wave)

Braylon Edwards (keep)

Joe Jurivicious (keep)

Syndric Steptoe (trade/wave)

Special Teams:

Josh Cribbs (keep)

Phil Dawson (keep)

Dave Zastudil (keep)

Ryan Pontibrand (keep)

Just a few observations and my opinion only. The DL you list is all DTs only, you have what we call LBs in the 3-4 that are really DEs in the 4-3 listed as LBs. Also, Sean Jones is a FA and wants mega bucks and at least 4 years. I don't know if you took into consideration that some of the players we played out of position in the 3-4 could be mcuh better playing in a 4-3 where they bolong.

We basterdized Wimbley and made him a OLB when he was a DE all his career. He wanted to add 10 to 15 lbs this year to help with his edge rushing and was told NO. He has dropped into coverage this year more then he has rushed the passer. I keep him, let him put on some pounds and see if the added strength will help his pass rush as a DE. Hall and Peek are basically DEs also.

Why would you want to trade or waive guys that RAC never played or gave a chance to. Wouldn't you at least want to see them under a new scheme and new coaches. YOu want to get rid of Bell and he never got to play. Griffin is actually a 4-3 OLB but we kept him inside and only used him on special teams. RAC never gave Sowells a chance to play, so he is a unknown quanity. They moved him from tackle to guard back to tackle. Let's see him on the field before we discard him.

Travis Daniels is another player with talent and size, who can play both corner and safety and RAC doesn't play him, instead he plays Cousins, who has been washed up for three years. You forgot Robiare Smith who could play DT or DE in the 4-3 and how about Rubin? Shantee Orr is a hybrid and doesn't have a position in the 4-3. He isn't a LB or a DE.

Mike Adams is a solid backup and good special teams player, why dump him? He comes cheap and is ready to play every week just like Sorenson. They are special teams players and you need those on your 53 man roster.

I agree with dumping McGinest, Davis and S. smith.

As far as offense, I don't get rid of Anderson unless I can get something for him. If he can't bring a decent draft pick then he is a servicable backup QB. Why wouldn't you want to bring Gradkowski to camp to see what he has? He could be a decent #3 QB. Why get rid of Steptoe? He is a #4 or #5 receiver and is your backup punt returner. He has decent hands. I bring him to camp and see if he makes the team. Is Cribbs a RB or receiver? He has shown he should be more then a special teamer.

Know you have to take into consideration that Winslow might be a major distraction next spring demanding a new contract.

Also, you leave a lot of holes that need filled and only a few draft picks. OLB, DE, WR, RB, RT and Safety if Jones walks. Can't count him because he may not want to stay. You are left with one WR because you don't know if JJ can make it back. There are no backup tackles, Fraley shwed his age this year and that position needs upgrading. You don't know if Tucker will make it back for G or T.

It is going to be pretty tough replacing a third of the roster and upgrading the team. One thing I don't want to do is bring in a lot of FA overpaid underachievers. Don't need anymore Stallworths.

Last thing to take into consideation is how much cap money are you going to have to eat when you dump some of these guys. Bonus money paid that is now spread out over the life of the contract all goes toward the cap when you release someone early. Stallworth, Anderson, Lewis and Wimbley would all be very big cap hits.

Just some food for thought that should get some debate started.

First, changing to a 4-3 is going to be a MAJOR overhaul. We do not have the correct DL pieces (no DE's) in place, and our LB's are also too big. So I will be assuming we keep a 3-4, but run a few plays out of the 4-3 alignment like the Ravens.

I will mark my changes in RED

Defense: (Going back to the 4-3)

DL:

Shaun Rodgers (keep)

Cory Williams (keep)

Shaun Smith (trade/wave)

Louis Leonard (wave/trade)

Santonio Thomas (One of our true 4-3 type DE, so rotate at DE)

Rubin, Ahtyba (rotate at NT)

Purcell, Melila (Another 4-3 type DE, bring up for ratation)

Smith, Robaire (Can play 4-3 or 3-4...and only one with real experience. keep)

Ratation (starters first):

RDE - R.Smith, M.Purcell

NT - S.Rodgers, A.Rubin

LDE - C.Williams, S.Thomas

LB:

D'Qwell Jackson (keep)

Kamerion Wimbley (keep, he is the one adversely affected by poor DL play and no opposite side rusher)

Andra Davis (trade/wave)

Alex Hall (keep)

Leon Williams (Bench)

Willie McGinest (trade/wave)

Antwan Peek (wave, injury prone)

Kris Griffin (ST player)

Beau Bell (let's see what he can do...rotate at SILB)

Shantee Orr (rotate at LOLB)

Rotation (starters first):

ROLB - K.Wimbley, (we need)

RILB - D.Jackson, L.Williams

LILB - Draft A.Curry, B.Bell

LOLB - A.Hall, S.Orr

CB:

Eric Wright (keep)

Brandon Mcdonald (keep)

Terry Cousins (trade/wave)

Travis Daniels (Bench)

Gerald Lawson (Bench)

D.Holly (keep)

Rotation

RCB - E.Wright

SS - Jones

FS - Pool

LCB - McDonald

Nickle - move McDonald to slot and put Holly in at LCB

SS:

Sean Jones (keep unless we can draft a top guy)

Brodney Pool (keep)

Mike Adams (keep, he is versatile and can play slot or S)

Daven Holly (he is a CB)

Nick Sorenson (bench)

Offense:

QB:

Brady Quinn (Keep)

Derek Anderson (trade/wave)

Ken Dorsey (trade/wave)

Bruce Gradkowski (I gotta see what this kid can do, may be a perfect backup...and we already got him)

RB:

Jamal Lewis (trade/wave)

Jason Wright (Bench)

Jerome Harrison (Keep)

FB:

Lawrence Vickers (Keep)

Charles Ali (Bench)

Right Guard:

Ryan Tucker (Keep)

Rex Hadnot (move to center if we don't pick one up)

Left Guard:

Eric Steinbach (keep)

Scott Young (rotate in)

Left Tackle:

Joe Thomas (keep)

Right Tackle:

Kevin Shaffer (bench)

Issac Sowells (trade/wave,)

this would mean we need to trade for a guy or draft one high...I don't see it

Center:

Hank Fraley (keep)

Seth McKinney (Bench)

as I said above, move Hadnot here

TE:

Kellen Winslow (trade, he has a limited future and his value is still good)

Darnell Dinkins (trade/wave)

Martin Rucker (keep)

Steve Heiden (keep)

WR:

Donte Stallworth (trade/wave)

Braylon Edwards (keep)

Joe Jurivicious (keep)

Syndric Steptoe (not a bad slot guy...but without a legit #2 he is lost)

Special Teams:

Josh Cribbs (keep)

Phil Dawson (keep)

Dave Zastudil (keep)

Ryan Pontibrand (keep)

First, changing to a 4-3 is going to be a MAJOR overhaul. We do not have the correct DL pieces (no DE's) in place, and our LB's are also too big. So I will be assuming we keep a 3-4, but run a few plays out of the 4-3 alignment like the Ravens.

I will mark my changes in RED

I like your additions much better. If we stay with the 3-4 I'd like to see us go to the one gap scheme which gives the linemen some ability to put some pressure on the QB.

No matter what scheme, you are going to need a LB. OLB if you switch to the 4-3 or ILB if stay with the 3-4. Also, with both schemes you need a DE/OLB to rush the passer. Maybe a Rex Ryan as coach could bring a Suggs with him. I also don't think I give Jones a big long contract. Rumor is he wants 4 years at around 30 million with about $16 million guaranteed.

So no matter which scheme you may need at least 3 pieces if you have to fill a SS position.

On offense they need a WR to stretch the field opposite Edwards, a RT and mid round pick for a center to develop. that is if you want to keep Lewis for another year.

So, 6 impact pieces needed to make this team competitive next year. So, I say see what Winslow, Anderson and Shaffer will bring in draft choices.

Archived