THE BROWNS BOARD

Fag-o-meter

admin

Some of you may have already noticed that we've installed a button near the bottom of each post that reads, 'THANKS'. This is for giving credit (or Thanks) to the author of a post for providing useful and appreciated information.

It's the Holiday Season, feel free to give out a lot of 'THANKS' and raise your mates rating on the fag-o-meter.

Look for other new features coming soon, now that we've wrestled the controls away from Atenears crusty old-fashion hands and started distributing some power around here.

Some of you may have already noticed that we've installed a button near the bottom of each post that reads, 'THANKS'. This is for giving credit (or Thanks) to the author of a post for providing useful and appreciated information.

It's the Holiday Season, feel free to give out a lot of 'THANKS' and raise your mates rating on the fag-o-meter.

Look for other new features coming soon, now that we've wrestled the controls away from Atenears crusty old-fashion hands and started distributing some power around here.

Sweet! This has the makings of your worst idea ever!

Seriously, I find the love of post counts to be silly and question anyone who cares about such a thing. Now we're going to add strength of post?

My favorite baseball board (and Bernie's - IIRC) tried this and the end result was pretty awful. It only accented hierarchy and curbed growth.

If someone takes the time to hammer out a decent post, a few people may acknowledge it with a reply. If someone takes the time to - dunno - act like Rich, a few more people will take the time to call him an idiot.

After a bit of reading, most people know who to take seriously and who to ignore.

What you don't want to do, IMO, is cause decent posters to feel as if they're not wanted by the minimal number of "THANKS" they may receive. I'd put this idea to bed ASAP, Stan.

Beanpot

now where is that THANKS button?

"THANKS" for installing it for me. I got alot of flack when I suggested it, but it's a great feature and there's nothing faggy about it.

Letting someone know you appreciated a good post is a fantastic feature.

Thank you Stan.

Guest Aloysius
Sweet! This has the makings of your worst idea ever!

Seriously, I find the love of post counts to be silly and question anyone who cares about such a thing. Now we're going to add strength of post?

My favorite baseball board (and Bernie's - IIRC) tried this and the end result was pretty awful. It only accented hierarchy and curbed growth.

If someone takes the time to hammer out a decent post, a few people may acknowledge it with a reply. If someone takes the time to - dunno - act like Rich, a few more people will take the time to call him an idiot.

After a bit of reading, most people know who to take seriously and who to ignore.

What you don't want to do, IMO, is cause decent posters to feel as if they're not wanted by the minimal number of "THANKS" they may receive. I'd put this idea to bed ASAP, Stan.

I get where you're coming from, but I'd make two points in response:

• Sure, it's possible that some posters will get upset because they haven't gotten enough thank you's. However, I think it's far more likely that the 5 star rating system that's already installed would cause that to happen. What's worse: not being told thank you or having multiple people give you a one-star rating?

If anything, the occasional Thank You could be a morale boost for a poster who thinks his posts are getting ignored.

• And if it does turn negative, the Thank You count can always be scrapped. The mod that was installed actually lets you hide those numbers while still allowing people to leave a Thank You message after an insightful post. At the very least, that aspect of the mod deserves a place on this board.

When WPB, kshutchins, or dencyguy writes a long weekly post, there should be some way for board members to express their appreciation for the great stuff they put together. The Thanks button is an easy & effective way of doing that.

Guest ATENEARS

I hear where you are coming from Beanpot, and I agree mostly. This forum attracted many because we had no frills, just football discussion. It was like the Browns going logo-less. Our frills were the great humor we created here that kept things loose and fun.

However, wouldn't you also agree that if someone took their ball and went home because their fag-o-meter didn't needle out, that would be doing us a favor? I mean, what great poster have we ever had that would let something like a fag-o-meter derail them?

If someone is gonna get upset over the fag-o-meter than they are gonna get upset over something else just as trival.

I'm going to play with the fag-o-meter for the next few weeks, just to mess with people, and then i'll probably forget it ever exsisted until some wet-nose starts whining he didn't get an atta-boy for his post.

I have to praise the person for this button of absolute ridiculesness as much as I dont like it, "its necessary"! And I feel a dance is required in this ritual, come one, come all, praise the mighty Brownies with this signature dance!

I saw it this morning and started to click it 3-4 times on different posts trying to figure out what it was.

Can i take my thanks back?? I didn't really want to thank those people. ;)

I'm going to play with the fag-o-meter for the next few weeks

I'm going to let that one stand on it's own ...

OK, no I'm not. Here's a thought: Change it from "Thanks" to "Kills". And everytime someone drills an opponent fan someone can give them a Kill. Double Kills for Steeler fags.

I think this plan would allow Beanpot to sleep better at night. Maybe not. I just want to call them "Kills".

Zombo

--Member No. 425? I keep losing ground everytime you switch formats. I think I was in the room when you came up with this Brownsboard idea ... or maybe thats when you were in the room with the Pizza Boy in your Tampa hotel.

Sure, it's possible that some posters will get upset because they haven't gotten enough thank you's. However, I think it's far more likely that the 5 star rating system that's already installed would cause that to happen. What's worse: not being told thank you or having multiple people give you a one-star rating?

Wait, there's a rating system already in play? That's worse...that right there! Seriously, I had no idea such a thing was already in existence.

If anything, the occasional Thank You could be a morale boost for a poster who thinks his posts are getting ignored.

Sure, but what if that lonely poster doesn't receive a Thank You from you soulless a-holes? He's outta here and never to be heard from again. I know I would be so gone if people didn't recognize my brilliance.

When WPB, kshutchins, or dencyguy writes a long weekly post, there should be some way for board members to express their appreciation for the great stuff they put together.

On a message board? There's exactly a way for people to do just that. It's built in, even!

I know what you mean Alo and I'm backing off the crusade ever since I noticed 7 (SEVEN!) people have given me thanks for some reason or another.

Stan, don't you dare do away with this feature.

Beanpot

Archived