THE BROWNS BOARD

Stallworth will be back in 2009

Lumbergh

I understand the disappointment in Stallworth's injury bug, but I'd be glad to have him back. . . on one condition. . . the Coach/O-Coordinator/QB GET HIM INVOLVED In the offense. Let's face it, Stallworth was out for what, 4-5 games? And after that, he was targeted an incredibly low amount of times. We saw it all year, Edwards, Winslow (Heiden when Winslow was out), and Lewis. . . that was the entire game-plan every week for this team. Week in and week out we begged to see more of Harrison & Cribbs. . . let me add Stallworth to that.

Stallworth is a good receiver. Yes, he seems to miss a few games each year due to injury, but a lot of players do. But it's up to the coaches to make sure he's involved during the games he is in. He led the league in YAC last year, but didn't have a chance to build on that this year because they didn't throw him the ball.

I hope he's back, and I hope they use him properly. He'll be a great additional target on the field to draw attention away from Edwards and the running game.

I'd be glad to have him back. . . on one condition. . . the Coach/O-Coordinator/QB GET HIM INVOLVED In the offense.

Hit it on the head, fooleze.

The guy was a very serviceable second banana in NE, and there was a reason most of us were pretty stoked to have signed him last offseason. Say what you will, folks, but an Edwards/Stallworth/Winslow receiving corps can be special. If everyone (those 3, QB, coaching staff) gets their shit together, it will be.

Hit it on the head, fooleze.

The guy was a very serviceable second banana in NE, and there was a reason most of us were pretty stoked to have signed him last offseason. Say what you will, folks, but an Edwards/Stallworth/Winslow receiving corps can be special. If everyone (those 3, QB, coaching staff) gets their shit together, it will be.

To build on it. . . Edwards was targeted an average of 8.9 times a game. Winslow 8.2 times a game. Stallworth came in third, but way off the pace at 4.2 times a game. If you're only throwing to your #2 receiver 4 times a game, what do you expect him to do??? Especially when your #1 receiver is dropping every third pass that hits his hands!

I understand the disappointment in Stallworth's injury bug, but I'd be glad to have him back. . . on one condition. . . the Coach/O-Coordinator/QB GET HIM INVOLVED In the offense. Let's face it, Stallworth was out for what, 4-5 games? And after that, he was targeted an incredibly low amount of times. We saw it all year, Edwards, Winslow (Heiden when Winslow was out), and Lewis. . . that was the entire game-plan every week for this team. Week in and week out we begged to see more of Harrison & Cribbs. . . let me add Stallworth to that.

Stallworth is a good receiver. Yes, he seems to miss a few games each year due to injury, but a lot of players do. But it's up to the coaches to make sure he's involved during the games he is in. He led the league in YAC last year, but didn't have a chance to build on that this year because they didn't throw him the ball.

I hope he's back, and I hope they use him properly. He'll be a great additional target on the field to draw attention away from Edwards and the running game.

Stallworth's quad never healed 100% this year so he was slow coming out of breaks and never got separation. Hard to get the ball to someone that is always covered. That being said, they did seem to ignore him and didn't throw the ball his way too much. The QBs were always looking for Edwards or Winslow even if they were doubled.

Maybe it was a lack of confidence since they didn't practice much together.

A guaranteed roster bonus is not the same as a guaranteed signing bonus.

A roster bonus is only guaranteed and paid out IF that player is on the roster on a certain date.

If Stallworth gets cut before that date, he does not get paid the roster bonus. If he IS on the roster, he is guaranteed to be paid that amount.

Guest Aloysius

Just to be clear, the Browns could cut him before the roster bonus is due & not have to pay him anything. That's the whole point of a roster bonus: it forces a team to decide whether to cut a guy or pay him. In some circumstances, it's put in a contract to force both sides to negotiate a long-term deal - the $8.6M roster bonus the Lions owe Leigh Bodden in March is an example of that.

In Stallworth's case, I think it's likely that the Browns will cut him before his $4.75M roster bonus is due. However, I could see a case for keeping him. If you think this year's injury was a fluke - and that the OC was responsible for not getting him involved in the offense - it might make sense to pay Stallworth all of the $5.495M he's owed in '09, especially because he'll actually be relatively cheap to keep in '10 ($1.5M) and '11 ($2.775M).

Though I don't think we can rely on Stallworth to be our #2 receiver, I can see the logic in trying to have him be our #2 in '09 while a rookie develops, then make him a reasonably-priced slot receiver in 2010 and '11.

Exactly. And it's the same with DA. He has a "guaranteed" roster bonus due a week or two into the 09 season. If he is here, he gets paid. If he isn't on the roster, he doesn't.

Hopefully, we'll have an executive that's a little more intelligent with HOW he spends money. It feels like Denise Northcutt has never left our WR Corps. There's a reason Stallworth is on his 4th consecutive dissatisfied team so dishing out more cake for an unmotivated oncore would be more of the same. That squid hasn't broken a sweat since his rookie season. I'd rather take in some ambitious WR from the CFL who wants to PROVE himself for a fraction of the cake Stallworth and agent robbed us blind with.

- Tom F.

As usual Lummy forgets to go out and do a little fact finding of his own...and relies completely on some moron who knows nothing of contracts. Here is DS's contract:

3/1/2008: Signed a seven-year, $35 million contract. The deal includes $10 million in guarantees. 2008: $605,000, 2009: $745,000 (+ $4.75 million roster bonus due in March), 2010: $1.5 million, 2011: $2.775 million, 2012: $4.55 million, 2013: $5.65 million, 2014: $5.95 million, 2015: Free Agent. Cap charges: Unknown (2008), $6.4 million (2009).

The truth is, DS could be cut any time up to March 1st and the Browns owe him nothing. However, it might actually be worth keeping him. His base salary for 2009 through 2011 is quite reasonable. Considering the number of areas we need help...keeping DS around may be the smarter move.

Either way, it is the Browns decision (not DS's), and they don't HAVE to do anything.

Stallworth is a stiff...........why do we have a thread about this ordinary ...............bloak

NE made him and he was nothing and now we have the stiff.............thank you Mr. USELESS Sewage

I think I remember something about Eric Steinbach playing ALL SEASON with a torn pectoral muscle, and Donte's leg "felt funny" so he sat out half the season.

I don't want to see him back, ANY player that sits out while NOT injured is suffering from a vaginal strain and needs to go, bonus or no bonus.

As usual Lummy forgets to go out and do a little fact finding of his own...and relies completely on some moron who knows nothing of contracts. Here is DS's contract:

Looks like the Retard bus is veering off the tracks again thanks to WBP.

Read this again. Read it real slow this time.

"the nearly $5 million bonus he’s due in the offseason is part of the $10 million he was guaranteed, so he’ll be back next year."

The next person who tries to say that a guaranteed contract is not guaranteed deserves a barbell to the face.

I want Stallworth back next year. When healthy he's a great receiver, I watched him last year alot when he played for New England and he looked alot like Cribbs (honestly) he gets the ball and just keeps going, breaking takles juking left and right, he's an athlete.

Since he was injured this year Chud sort of removed him from the game plan (theres an article in the PD that actually admits this). Plus, who do we have besides Stallworth that could be a good No. 2?

Hubbard could, possibily 2 years from now (I watched the vids from him in college and he was good, but needs to catch the ball with his hands) once he learns the position a little better, but Stallworth is by far the best option and better than he played this year

Somewhere around the time of his signing I thought I read where the contract had around $10 million in guaranteed money. Don't know if it was a roster bonus or not.

It seems that the 10 mil in guaranteed money included a signing bonus, this year's salary, a roster bonus next year, and next year's salary.

Stallworth would be the best free agent on the market if released right now.. We need him back..this year was a fluke.. yeah he misses a game or two here and there..but nothing like this year... he and braylon will make a formidable team next year. You can cry about this year..but fact is..the guy is pretty darned good when he is involved in the offense.

Stallworth would be the best free agent on the market if released right now.. We need him back..this year was a fluke.. yeah he misses a game or two here and there..but nothing like this year... he and braylon will make a formidable team next year. You can cry about this year..but fact is..the guy is pretty darned good when he is involved in the offense.

That's a good point, not to mention letting him go means it's one more hole to fill.

Looks like the Retard bus is veering off the tracks again thanks to WBP.

Read this again. Read it real slow this time.

"the nearly $5 million bonus he’s due in the offseason is part of the $10 million he was guaranteed, so he’ll be back next year."

The next person who tries to say that a guaranteed contract is not guaranteed deserves a barbell to the face.

I'm pretty sure if it is a "guaranteed roster bonus" as opposed to a "roster bonus", the total amount can be pro-rated over the remaining years of the contract. So it would be 4.75/6 years left = 792k + 2009 salary against the cap.

Guest Aloysius

According to the OBR, Stallworth's contract includes the following:

• a $4.5M signing bonus, already paid & prorated over the years of his contract

• a $4.875M non-guaranteed roster bonus in '09

• $500K of his base salaries in '08 and '09 are guaranteed
If we keep him, Stallworth receives his $4.75M roster bonus and the non-guaranteed portion of his base salary, an additional $245K. So it'll cost us about an additional $5M, all of which costs against the cap.

If we cut him, Stallworth doesn't receive that $5M, but the rest of his prorated signing bonus would count against our '09 cap. Not only would we be paying the $643K yearly charge; we'd have a cap charge of an additional $3.2M.

If I did the math right, we'd only save about $1.8M in cap space if we cut Stallworth before his roster bonus is due. However, the drop in actual money paid out would be over $5M.

Guest Aloysius

Not better than Houshmandzadeh, but Stallworth would be one of the better second-tier guys available.

I think your post gets to the fundamental question the Browns have to answer: is this year just a fluke, or is Stallworth just another fragile, inconsistent receiver?

Even if the cap difference between keeping him around in '09 and cutting him isn't very significant, the money paid out is ($5M). And if we pay him that money & he limps through the '09 season, we'll face a cap charge of about $3.2M in 2010 if we decide to cut him then.

Obviously, that decision will have to be made by our next coach and/or GM. If we go with Pioli & McDaniels, expect Stallworth to be cut. McDaniels had Stallworth behind Jabar Gaffney on the depth chart for much of the '07 season, and the Pats promptly cut him after the season. My guess is that the Pats duo would cut Stallworth again, bringing in a cheap FA like Gaffney to fill his spot.

I'd Agree but I think Pool has to go, I love B-mac Wright and Jones but we need someone other than Pool. He dosent know how to tackle, hes solid in coverage but he either needs to go to a tackling clinic or he needs to be cut because Im sure we can find better, Sorenson has played pretty well, I thnk we ishould maybe give him a shot or pick up/draft someone

According to the OBR, Stallworth's contract includes the following:

[*] a $4.5M signing bonus, already paid & prorated over the years of his contract

[*] a $4.875M non-guaranteed roster bonus in '09

[*] $500K of his base salaries in '08 and '09 are guaranteed

10 mil is guaranteed per rotoworld and multiple newspaper reports. The OBR-reported guaranteed amounts only add up to 5.5 mil.

So who do you believe, rotoworld and the newspapers, or some bloggers on the internet?

10 mil is guaranteed.

Archived