THE BROWNS BOARD

WR's Around The League We Should Look At

PlaygroundLegend

Currently we have two solid receivers In Edwards and Stallworth but this year they have left much to be desired, next year they could shape up and play to expectations, but what if one of them is let go or traded where does that leave us? Also, what do we do about our third receiver? The videos of Hubbard look promising(

and Paul Hubbard Scouting Video) but he was riding our practice squad earlier this year. Steptoe could be a potential solution but is he consistent enough?

In case our current situtaion doesnt work out, there are some recievers around the league that I think we should take a look at.

Chad Ocho Cinco

This man really needs no introduction, hes fast, he's got amazing hands, and he can jump, he is Ocho Cinco. With his problems in Cinci he might be shopped this offseason and I think we can get him in a trade, he brings enthusiasm, comedy, and a desire to win. He's still young and is having an off year, picture BQ throwing to Chad

Anquan Boldin

I dont think there is a receiver in this league that is more suited to BQ than this guy. He is a free agent after this season and has said he wanted to leave Arizona in the beginning of the year, we can definately pay him. He has been an absolute Beast this season amassing 1,083 yds 89 receptions and 11 touchdowns and he hasnt even played every game this year due to a broken nose. He is one of the most physical recievers in the league and would be great up in the AFC north.

Steve Breaston

Yet another Arizona reciever, their 3rd reciever actually who has posted multiple 100+ yd games this year, he is also an amazing punt and kick returner, he could return punts which would take a load off of Cribbs duties do we could utilize him more in the offensive game plan, I think Breaston could be a viable number 2 guy, and he's definately one of the best #3's in the league.

Marques Colston

He is a free agent in 09 and would be a great addition to our squad. Teams like Arizona and Cinci have set the bar as far as the passing games go with 2 or more #1 recievers on their squad and the Browns should follow suit. Colston has presence and forces the D to account for him, no way a d can cover him, Braylon Stallworth and Winslow.

I will add more as we go along if anyone else has any suggestions...

No to Ocho Cinco. Don't need the headache.

No way Arizona lets Boldin leave. He's too valuable and they know it.

Breaston is interesting, because Arizona isn't gonna pay THREE WRs top dollar, are they. Perhaps Braylon's 2nd banana at Michigan can reprise that role here...

For Colston, see Boldin.

Afraid to say, our best/most realistic option might be Stallworth.

Currently we have two solid receivers In Edwards and Stallworth but this year they have left much to be desired, next year they could shape up and play to expectations, but what if one of them is let go or traded where does that leave us? Also, what do we do about our third receiver? The videos of Hubbard look promising(
and Paul Hubbard Scouting Video) but he was riding our practice squad earlier this year. Steptoe could be a potential solution but is he consistent enough?

In case our current situtaion doesnt work out, there are some recievers around the league that I think we should take a look at.

Chad Ocho Cinco

This man really needs no introduction, hes fast, he's got amazing hands, and he can jump, he is Ocho Cinco. With his problems in Cinci he might be shopped this offseason and I think we can get him in a trade, he brings enthusiasm, comedy, and a desire to win. He's still young and is having an off year, picture BQ throwing to Chad

Anquan Boldin

I dont think there is a receiver in this league that is more suited to BQ than this guy. He is a free agent after this season and has said he wanted to leave Arizona in the beginning of the year, we can definately pay him. He has been an absolute Beast this season amassing 1,083 yds 89 receptions and 11 touchdowns and he hasnt even played every game this year due to a broken nose. He is one of the most physical recievers in the league and would be great up in the AFC north.

Steve Breaston

Yet another Arizona reciever, their 3rd reciever actually who has posted multiple 100+ yd games this year, he is also an amazing punt and kick returner, he could return punts which would take a load off of Cribbs duties do we could utilize him more in the offensive game plan, I think Breaston could be a viable number 2 guy, and he's definately one of the best #3's in the league.

Marques Colston

He is a free agent in 09 and would be a great addition to our squad. Teams like Arizona and Cinci have set the bar as far as the passing games go with 2 or more #1 recievers on their squad and the Browns should follow suit. Colston has presence and forces the D to account for him, no way a d can cover him, Braylon Stallworth and Winslow.

I will add more as we go along if anyone else has any suggestions...

Um>>>Let's see..How bout a TE...cuz QUinn can't throw the ball farther than 15 yards......You saw how many balls Edwards caught huh>>>

Actually, I was at the Texans game when Quinn threw that nice bomb to Braylon in the first half. Quinn's arm is just as strong if not stronger than Tom Brady's and Peyton Mannings, if you check scout.com it says one of his positives coming out of college is his arm strength.

http://car.scout.com/a.z?s=123&p=8&amp...amp;nid=2477577

It states:

"Nice-sized, strong-armed pocket passer with a great amount of upside. Patient, calm under pressure and buys time for receivers. Gets outside the pocket to give himself a better view of the field, has a quick, over-the-top delivery and immediately gets the ball out of his hand. Zips the outs, Pos:sesses a good deep arm and drives passes into the tight spots. Flashes the ability to beautifully place throws where only his target can make the reception. Consistently challenges the vertical game. Puts touch on throws when necessary."

Back on Topic, I think we could get Boldin if we really tried, and the same for Chad. I like chad actually, I dont think he's a headache at all, I find him up-beat and entertaining, plus I dont think anyone cares more about the game than he does, he was tearin up and pissed off when the Bengals went 4-1, thats heart, thats what we need

Guest Aloysius

Here are some free agent receiving options. I've included their stats from this season.

• T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
    • - 92 catches, 904 yards, 4 TD
Antonio Bryant, Bucs
  • - 80 catches, 1,171 yards, 7 TD
Bobby Engram, Seahawks
  • - 41 catches, 439 yards, 0 TD
Amani Toomer, Giants
  • - 46 catches, 564 yards, 4 TD
Devery Henderson, Saints
  • - 30 catches, 764 yards, 3 TD
Bryant Johnson, 49ers
  • - 43 catches, 503 yards, 3 TD
Shaun McDonald, Lions
  • - 35 catches, 332 yards, 1 TD
Jabar Gaffney, Patriots
  • - 38 catches, 468 yards, 2 TD
Brandon Jones, Titans
  • - 39 catches, 436 yards, 1 TD
Drew Carter, Raiders
  • - 38 catches, 517 yards, 4 TD
Michael Clayton, Bucs
  • - 36 catches, 397 yards, 0 TD
Reggie Williams, Jaguars
  • - 35 catches, 348 yards, 3 TD
Justin McCareins, Titans
  • - 29 catches, 401 yards, 0 TD

after housh.. I would not take anyone on that list for a guy who is not even on that list...Lance moore.. scored 7 weeks in a row for the saints this year as the #3 guy..that is the kind of production we need. Steptoe... should not even make the roster of a contending team.. the recieving corps this year was a joke. We need 3 veterans to come into camp... and make the roster for the 3,4,5 spots. I also like hank baskett, miles austin, bryant johnson (who is on that list), and dane looker for those 3,4,5 spots.

I dont know why but for some reason I dont really like Housh, He's consistent and all, and he gets big numbers, but I think his success is amplified by having Chad being double and triple covered on the field, he is also targeted on alot of curl routes. I dont think he'd do well anywhere besides cinci, plus, theyre gonna Franchise him this offseason

No to Ocho Cinco. Don't need the headache.

No way Arizona lets Boldin leave. He's too valuable and they know it.

Breaston is interesting, because Arizona isn't gonna pay THREE WRs top dollar, are they. Perhaps Braylon's 2nd banana at Michigan can reprise that role here...

For Colston, see Boldin.

Afraid to say, our best/most realistic option might be Stallworth.

It probably will be Stallworth unless they want to eat a big cap hit. Then again, Pioli and McDaniels had no interest in keeping him in NE after his best year as a pro.

Looking for a receiver.......................draft one. The problem with this team is they wanted to build a solid core through FA while winning teams are building their teams through the draft.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to bump this thread back up due to all the Edwards trade talk going around, we might need a WR

Someone here was talking about shopping Edwards for Boldin, I actually think this is possible, what about going for ocho?

Oh, and if someone is willing to give us a 1st rounder next year for him, I have quite the draft choice, Randy Moss/Boldin hybrid, check this guy out:

Dez Bryant

He's sick.... the only problem is speed, I dont see him burnin folks

It's gotta be tough on the cap to pay two guys like big-time #1 WRs... and I say that for the Cardinals and Browns. Most teams pay one guy that kind of jack and then have a reliable "possession receiver" opposite him. Sometimes that guy evolves into more, like Houshmadilla and Wayne.

Plus, the Browns have Winslow. In theory, at least, the Big Two are former Pro Bowlers Edwards and Winslow.

It seemed to me that both guys thrived when the other receiver was a big possession receiver (Joe J.). Stallworth could move into the slot and be replaced by someone like Bryant Johnson or a third round pick who doesn't have to be crazy fast. And Joe J. is coming back.

I think both Steptoe and Hubbard will be on the roster next year, with an eye toward Hubbard becoming a #2, which might be a little pie-in-the-sky at this point, but who knows. He's big and he can run and jump.

No, the Browns do not have Winslow.

Actually it was Boldin who was having fits with the coaching staff, & he's a free agent, but he is likely to get franchised

i like Malluguguguga too.

where is he falling in the draft? seems like a stud player. i'm surprised more people aren't talking bout him.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Stallworth may be potentially gone, we should re-surface this and start thinking seriously.

I say we make a move to get breaston, too bad we got rid of WInslow because I would have done that trade straight up. How about DA for breaston and a third or fourth?

After watching tape on Hubbard, he looks like a viable receiver, I actually wouldnt mind putting him in the slot this year, or maybe even starting him opposite of Edwards if Stallworth gets sacked.

You know who actually looks really bad on tape... Martin Rucker, he looks straight up awful. He comes out of cuts SLOW AS HELL. He catches with his hands which is good, and has O.K. straightaway speed, but he looks so un-coordinated running any kind of route its quite laugable. I did notice he runs strong though, looks like he's hard to bring down.

Outside of that I really want to see is for us to find some way to land Breaston in a trade.... How does that happen, how do teams pick these guys up in the fifth and sixth rounds and turn them into viable starting material.

steve-breaston.jpg

How does that happen, how do teams pick these guys up in the fifth and sixth rounds and turn them into viable starting material.

it's called 'good coaching.' i had to look up how it happens because i haven't seen it in so long.

ESPN just reported that the Jaguars released receiver Matt Jones

The Jacksonville Jaguars have released receiver Matt Jones, an NFL source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The former Arkansas player was charged with cocaine possession in July.

He was suspended for the last three games of the 2008 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. In a plea deal, Jones entered a program that emphasizes treatment.

Jones was released a day early from jail Saturday during a weeklong stay for drinking beer in violation of his plea agreement for a drug charge.

The Jaguars picked Jones in the first round of the NFL draft in 2005. Before his suspension last season, Jones was having the best year of his career, with 65 catches for 761 yards and two touchdowns.

Information from ESPN senior

Guest Aloysius

This guy looks like an interesting small school prospect:

WR Guice demonstrates blazing speed at workout

The official Northwestern State (La.) pro day is March 19, but one scout showed up on Tuesday, so the school held an impromptu workout.

WR Dudley Guice put up some impressive numbers on the outdoor FieldTurf track. He checked in at 6-foot-2 1/2, 209 pounds and ran a 4.40- and a 4.43-second 40-yard dash. That time would have ranked him among the fastest participants at last month’s combine. He also had a 39-inch vertical jump, 10-foot, 5-inch broad jump, a 4.01-second short shuttle, a 6.61-second three-cone drill and 12 bench-press reps of 225 pounds. It is also noteworthy that he has 34-inch arms — a good measurement for a wideout.

Guest Aloysius
NFL | Several teams showing interest in Guice

Fri, 20 Mar 2009 00:00:09 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Northwestern State WR Dudley Guice said during an interview that the New Orleans Saints, the Miami Dolphins, the Jacksonville Jaguars, the Atlanta Falcons, the Cleveland Browns and the Indianapolis Colts are among the teams showing the most interest in him.

In all honesty the guy looks good.... but I think he needs to put on some weight.... After seeing a guy like Dez Bryant, every WR looks tiny to me. Were in the AFC north which is very physical, not only are recievers called to run block, but to make the catch and get some yards after, physical yards, when you look at recivers like Anquan Boldin or Hines Ward, you can tell that theyre able to deliver a hit. Ive seen Braylon deliver a few himself (this is why I liked picking up Stallworth when we did, as I dont think there is a better break tackle reciever).

I like recievers that are hard to bring down, here are some examples:

573142.jpganquan-boldin_nc.jpg

Dez Bryant_________________________________________________Anquan Boldin

t1-ward.jpgjerry-porter-jaguars_nc.jpg

Hines Ward______________________________Jerry Porter

I like those WR's with a good Height/Weight ratio

• 5 weeks later...

Outside of Bryant next year, I think we could scoop up this guy this year as our #2, he is very impressive on the post

Kenny Britt

6"4 215lbs

cout.com Player Evaluation: STRENGTHS eval_pro.gif Downfield Threat eval_pro.gif Elusiveness with Catch eval_pro.gif Red Zone Weapon AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT eval_con.gif Hands and Concentration eval_con.gif Route-Running Skills Britt is a physically gifted receiver with tremendous upside. He has great size, good strength and is a dynamic playmaker down field. He’s versatile; he can play inside or outside, he runs good routes and uses his long strides to his advantage. He’s not afraid of contact and makes a lot of receptions over the middle. He’s outstanding after the catch and runs with purpose. - Chris Steuber, Scout.com

britt-ul.jpg

Archived