THE BROWNS BOARD

What if the Browns beat Pittsburgh this week? Does Crennel Stay?

Buck The Frowns

So, what if Crennel stays as head coach? Would it be that bad for the future? This is substantially the team and coaching staff that was 10-6 a year ago and beat the Giants on MNF this year. Kept the score close to the Steelers in the first matchup this year, in horrible field conditions. So if the Browns beat the Steelers this week does he stay?

Did Crennel get so much dumber in one season? I doubt it. Bear in mind that you're never as good as you look when things go right, and you're never bad as you look when things go south.

Granted, a coach's fate should not hinge on one game, but I believe the Browns actually have a good shot at beating Pittsburgh this weekend; they are in the playoffs, can't move up a seed if they win, can't move down if they lose. They have a first round bye, so maybe they are looking ahead to the week off. It is a nightmare job for any coach to motivate a team under those conditions, to get them to not treat it like a preseason game. Unless Tomlin can convince his players that they are playing for their jobs next year, I look for the Steelers to come out flat. Add to that the fact that many starters will be rested and the backups will play most of the game. If Tomlin plays the starters much and someone gets banged up for the playoffs it would go down as one of the all time bonehead moves. And he does not strike me as a bonehead. I tell you I would put money on the Browns this weekend if I were a betting man.

I think the reason our coaching looked good last year was because of the competition that we played. They sure as hell didn't look very smart in the second steelers game, nor the second bengals game. Tucker still doesn't know how to run a defense. I mean, I really don't get it. There's been flashes of brilliance in it. We blitz 5 or more, then give them a third and long, which is what a defense should want to do. Yet EVERY SINGLE xxxxING TIME, it's 3rd and 14, we'll send three. And seeing as our ends are slow as shit, they convert every time.

I appreciate your candor, Buck, but if the Browns win 180-0, Crennel still gets his ass fired the very next day.

We are a team starting our 4th-string QB and in complete and utter disarray, and you are playing your scrubs. This game means less than nothing, which is sad.

So, what if Crennel stays as head coach? Would it be that bad for the future? This is substantially the team and coaching staff that was 10-6 a year ago and beat the Giants on MNF this year. Kept the score close to the Steelers in the first matchup this year, in horrible field conditions. So if the Browns beat the Steelers this week does he stay?

Did Crennel get so much dumber in one season? I doubt it. Bear in mind that you're never as good as you look when things go right, and you're never bad as you look when things go south.

Granted, a coach's fate should not hinge on one game, but I believe the Browns actually have a good shot at beating Pittsburgh this weekend; they are in the playoffs, can't move up a seed if they win, can't move down if they lose. They have a first round bye, so maybe they are looking ahead to the week off. It is a nightmare job for any coach to motivate a team under those conditions, to get them to not treat it like a preseason game. Unless Tomlin can convince his players that they are playing for their jobs next year, I look for the Steelers to come out flat. Add to that the fact that many starters will be rested and the backups will play most of the game. If Tomlin plays the starters much and someone gets banged up for the playoffs it would go down as one of the all time bonehead moves. And he does not strike me as a bonehead. I tell you I would put money on the Browns this weekend if I were a betting man.

The Steelers are not going to come out flat in this game especially after they came away with a loss last week in Tennessee. They are going to want to avenge their performance last week especially on the defensive side of the ball since the Steelers D didnt have a very solid game against the Titans. This defense lead by Lebeau has a lot of pride and they are not going to come out and play 2 bad games in row especially against an inept Browns offense that hasn't scored a TD in over 5 weeks. Tomlin will not let his team get complacent this week in this game and let them play this game like it doesnt mean anything because he is not that kind of a coach. He also will not want to have his team going into the playoffs on a 2 game losing streak either. The starters on the Steelers will play close to a half and once they score some points and are able to gain some confidence and feel good about themselves going into the playoffs Tomlin will pull them either in the 2nd quarter or at halftime. Same can be said for the defensive players on the Steelers as well.

Do you really believe that the Browns with Bruce Gradkowski as the QB this weekend in his first game starting in the NFL in a few years and only being in the Browns system for not even a month yet really has a chance to come in Pittsburgh against the best defense in the NFL and muster up any kind of offense and actually score points?? It wont happen if you bet on the Browns winning this game on Sunday you need to have your head examined. Steelers roll in this game something like 24-6 and get feel good about themselves as they tune up and get ready for the playoffs in 2 weeks time.

Do you really believe that the Browns with Bruce Gradkowski as the QB this weekend in his first game starting in the NFL in a few years and only being in the Browns system for not even a month yet really has a chance to come in Pittsburgh against the best defense in the NFL and muster up any kind of offense and actually score points?? It wont happen if you bet on the Browns winning this game on Sunday you need to have your head examined. Steelers roll in this game something like 24-6 and get feel good about themselves as they tune up and get ready for the playoffs in 2 weeks time.

The point I am making is that the Browns won't be playing the whole game against the number one defense - they will be playing much of the game against the backups to the number one defense. Given the facts that 1) the Browns have every reason to be up for this game - some on this forum call this game the Browns' Super Bowl , 2 ) that Pittsburgh may have difficulty getting up emotionally for this game, and 3) the offense has been weak lately, an upset could occur.Tomlin seems like a good motivator, and football coaches are as much psychologists and motivational speakers as anything else, but you and I both know that the day you think you can just dial it in, that is when you get beat by someone you should theoretically pummel. It happens every week. I'd love to be a fly on the wall just to hear what Tomlin says to his troops. I think the Steelers have superior talent but could be beaten.

The point I am making is that the Browns won't be playing the whole game against the number one defense - they will be playing much of the game against the backups to the number one defense. Given the facts that 1) the Browns have every reason to be up for this game - some on this forum call this game the Browns' Super Bowl , 2 ) that Pittsburgh may have difficulty getting up emotionally for this game, and 3) the offense has been weak lately, an upset could occur.Tomlin seems like a good motivator, and football coaches are as much psychologists and motivational speakers as anything else, but you and I both know that the day you think you can just dial it in, that is when you get beat by someone you should theoretically pummel. It happens every week. I'd love to be a fly on the wall just to hear what Tomlin says to his troops. I think the Steelers have superior talent but could be beaten.

The Steelers backups many of them are still much much better then what the Browns have to offer with their starters. How the hell you think the Steelers have been winning all season long?? They have had numerous numerous injuries on both offense and defense and time and time again the depth of this team and the backups have had to come in and be tested and time and time again they have been able to answer the bell. Tomlin will have this team ready to go this week and as I stated before he will not let them go into the playoffs losing 2 games in a row especially losing to the Browns at home to close out the season. This team is too good all the way across the board and too well coached to let that happen.

Romeo has to be recorded as one of the worst coaches of all times he has talent wasting on the sidelines talent that he and his assistants didnt develop or even give them a shot until someone got hurt then they are thrown out to the wolves with little or no prep time romeo hates to develop rookies to a real fault..

Romeo fails to ride his less than motivated coaching staff to do their jobs and to do them well they have absolutely no "can do" mentality.. our offensive coordinator shows no discipline and has a tendency to either (1)stick with a absurd losing gameplan thats so predictable most of us can call 90% of the plays or

(2)chud loses his grip and gets desperate which usually results in a turnover or a punt with lost yards...the offensive line schemes are static most of the time any decent defense can adjust easily and with confidence while confusing our static ol blocking schemes we have very little element of suprize even our WildDawg has become incredibly predictable...

The same can be said of romeo as a defensive minded coach his non-aggressive defense is static and easy to exploit its gaping holes our zones are more like canyons and played loosly without change game in and game out our corners and safties are all alone in man to man coverage because theres no pressure coming especially when rogers is taking a breather the oposing offense almost always takes advantage of this...the bottomline is our coaching staff sucks from rac on down and savage sucks for letting it go on proving he isnt qualified to be a gm..

Romeo's player evaluation skills are way below average as ive said before if savage had not dumped frye he would still be our starting qb and with crennel willie mcancient will always get the nod over hall or bell unless he is tired or injured...

I cant stomach to watch the fat man standing on the sideline like he is lost instead of leading a team anymore he has to go...

If that is how it will be determined....I will be rooting for the Steelers on Sunday.

If Romeo is retained as coach, I will know we have no hope until the team is sold and a new owner comes to town.

The chance of the Browns beating Pittspuke this week are about the same as me winning the lottery. Sure, maybe "anything can happen", but in my opinion, the "any given Sunday" scenario doesn't apply to this game. Pittsburg could play 3d stringers only, and still beat us by 3 td's. At this point, given the way the coaches and the team has quit, I say we forfeit, and save the embarrassment. If Lerner decides to retain Crennel and Savage, all the home games next year will be like last week.....30k empty seats. I'm not a gambling man, but I'll take your bet. I don't consider that to be a gamble.

After what I've seen on the field, heard about in the locker, and off the field, no he doesn't stay. I wouldn't let him stay if he finished 12-4 next year because it is another result of weak scheduling and a 'fluke'. I keep reading that some people (players) are calling this season a fluke; I say it was last season that was a fluke. If you look at RACs record here, you'll see this season's record and performance is not the one that doesn't look like he others.

The point of games isn't to 'keep them close so you 'have a chance' - it is to win them. RAC hasn't been doing that, and the players aren't playing well or being coached well. That's on him and his staff.

You have to base his coaching this year on what the team did before the injuries to DA and BQ later in the season. Sure it was a tougher schedule this year but he had a 10-6 team with multiple returning all-pros, a thousand yard RB, a very good O-line and a suspect defense that added pieces to improve it in the off season. The Browns didn't live up to the expectations that the fans, organization and the rest of the league had for this team at the beginning of the season regardless of the injuries. So the person to take the fall is always going to be the head coach and they know that when they take that job. So unless the Browns beat the Steelers, somehow find a loop hole and make the playoffs and win the Super Bowl - Romeo might as well take his bags with him to Pittsburgh because he ain't coming back.

This is by far your most humorous and intelligent post on this board, ever.

To the OP. RAC has made way too many coaching blunders this year to retain his position. It's not like we can say "Man he just had everything go wrong on him". No he was part of the reason everything was going wrong, and we all could see the year was going to be shit from day one when he kicked that effin' FG in the Cowboys game opening day.

The whole year is filled with the Crennel shit piles, and they've all been mentioned here. Bottom line is that the guy is a putrid gameday coach, and in the NFL, your headcoach should be able to coach effectively on gameday.

Not once this year have I seen our team adjust to something the team did in the first half. Ever. It's like he writes the gameplan on monday and then just sticks with it come hell or high water. Injuries? pffftttt........other team has injuries that expose a new weakness? Why would he want to take advantage of that? He already made his gameplan on monday, and now he's got 6 days of good buffet scouting to do.

He's done, finished. and if RAC keeps his job I will not be following the Clevleand Browns next year. For my own health and sanity.

Well said. Yeah the schedule was tougher- but at least on paper, the Browns were also a better team. Thanks for reminding me of that FG against the Cowboys- sheer coaching genius- kick a fg, and you still need two scores to win. Bad clock management, sticking with DA about 4 games too long, underusing Harrison and Cribbs- and where the hell is Bo Bell?

There's no way you can explain the total collapse of the offense on just missing Tucker, and the run defense is still a sieve despite the addition of Rodgers. After four years, we're still looking for an effective pass rusher, so just maybe Savage should hit the road along with Romeo.

Nope, you grade a guy on his total performance, not how he does in just one game. So if you keep him if he beats the Steelers, doesn't that mean he should have been fired after that gawdawful performance against the Bengals- and pick any 5 other stinkers this year? Romeo's going to go o-fer against the Browns most hated rival, and he's been suckful against the Queen City Kitties and Ratbirds, on top of it. The Browns will not beat the Steelers. For the last several weeks, Cleveland's looked like a team that's has flat-out quit. If I was in Vegas, I'd put $100 on Pittsburgh covering the spread.

I have a hard time thinking they'll keep Crennell. But whether or not they keep him probably won't be dependent on how his team plays with a 4th string QB against the steelers.

Loverboy, did you come up with that one all by yourself? I'm still trying to figure out HOW we won 10 games with a 4th string QB teaming up with the mind of RAC and all I could summarize is that we played 12 teams incapable of winning more than 8 games and went 0-3 vrs all our AFC opponents that won more than 8 games. It's not very often the Cleveland Browns have been given Appalachan State's schedule but it worked the 1 time we got it. Therefore, it only made sense we had that caliber of QB.

- Tom F. (I'm really happy how easy Oregon State finds the matchup with USC since Dumb Ass left. Maybe we'll find the same luck with Pittsburgh when he leaves Cleveland)

I'm still trying to figure out HOW we won 10 games with a 4th string QB teaming up with the mind of RAC

And I'm still trying to figure out how the "greatest NFL prospect at QB in the past decade" couldn't do any better than DA especially after everybody claimed that DA was the ONLY thing holding the Browns back this year.

It was easy competition, remember DA never beat anyone that was good until MNF this year against the Giants. And I will say to that, every dog has his day!

True, and every dawg needs a nap, which is what NY did. Loverboy and anyone that hates Quinn think the NY Giants were the rule instead of the exception to it. Trust me, if the NY Giants didn't think they were watching football follies when they were looking at us on film, they would have shown up looking at us a little differently than USC looked at Stanford in 2007. It's called looking ahead and being caught in a snooze.

Loverboy thinks this is Disney and DA is going to the Superbowl the same way he thinks he saw Oregon State winning all those Pac 10 Titles with DA at QB. I think Loverboy counts 4 Pac 10 Titles from his boyfriend while the rest of America doesn't have the heart to tell him the truth. That folks, is Lummy's Victorious Secret he just can't keep secret.

- Tom F. (QBs make or break Head Coaches and GMs. The fact that Ken Dorsey was kept here to tutor our younger QBs and lead by example scares the crap out of me every bit as much as seeing DA start another game or that signing Trent Dilfer was once a proud moment for our GM)

Archived