THE BROWNS BOARD

Pittsburgh Gazette Looks to Atenears' Message Board

Flugel

This was sent to me by Ozzie as a fun reminder about the Rivalry:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06166/698372-66.stm

your quote is on the computer screen in the photo Flugel!

Anyway, here's a cut and paste of the article that the Pittsburgh Gazette author came to Atenears' board to extract after he did the same thing to a cincy message board. Enjoy:

Trash-talking NFL fans waste no time reveling in Roethlisberger's misfortune

Thursday, June 15, 2006

By Ray Fittipaldo, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Post-Gazette photo illustration

Click photo for larger image.

For those who thought Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer displayed a childish attitude in Sports Illustrated a few weeks back when he proclaimed "I hate the Steelers," wait until they get a load of what some Bengals fans had to say in the moments after Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident Monday.

As the news and pictures were posted on internet Web sites, some Bengals backers at Bengalszone.com made light of the fact that the Steelers' quarterback had sustained severe injuries, with many of them proclaiming that justice had been served. A few Cincinnati fans said in their messages that it served Roethlisberger and the Steelers right because former Steelers defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, they contended, intentionally injured Palmer in an AFC wild-card game at Paul Brown Stadium in January.

"Irony, they cheap shot their way to a Super Bowl, now karma comes in," wrote a poster with the handle Spain.

Another poster with the handle jjakg27 wrote: "What comes around ..."

Cantonbengal posted: "This is what I been waiting to see happen to the Steelers they all laughed at us when Carson went down. At least, Carson isn't [stupid] like Ben ... hopefully he might miss some time this season."

The messages were posted in the moments or hours after the accident Monday when the severity of Roethlisberger's condition was unclear.

The ill will toward Roethlisberger and the Steelers was not confined to Cincinnati cyberspace. Message boards from around the NFL were filled with tasteless comments about Roethlisberger and the accident. At a Cleveland Browns fan site, TheBrownsBoard.com, one poster dubbed the quarterback "Ben Toothlessberger" and noted that he is now "right at home with all those Pittsburgh inbreds."

A poster with the handle flugel wondered: "who is wearing a bigger turban today? Bin Laden or Ben Ridin'?" Flugel also noted that "there's something about Steelers quarterbacks bouncing off hard surfaces that keeps this rivalry fun."

That was a reference to Terry Bradshaw getting dumped on his head by Cleveland defensive lineman Joe "Turkey" Jones at old Municipal Stadium in 1976.

Fans of the Baltimore Ravens also got into the act. Only moments after the accident, Revo2001 posted: "HAHA" followed by an expletive. A few hours later CRAVNRAVN posted: "Raven baby are now the favs to claim the division!"

So why do some football fans react in such a crazed manner in the wake of a potential tragedy?

Dr. Paul Friday, the director of clinical psychology at UPMC Shady Side, said the posters of these comments are people with psychological problems whose brains never fully developed.

Friday said the human brain does not fully develop until 25 years of age, which, he said, might explain why Roethlisberger, who is 24, decided to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Friday said the posters are either too young to know better or are people whose brains never completely wired, which can happen due to a number of circumstances, including class and culture.

"The people who are blogging in Cincinnati, they're the ones whose brains never fully develop," Friday said. "They don't perspectivize human tragedy. They don't learn to think effectively. These people are not normal. We're talking about a fringe element. We're dealing with the screaming people who are venting. These are elements that are not representative of their communities. They are representatives of their own minds."

Friday said posters on Internet message boards hide behind their keyboards and write things they would never have the courage to say aloud in public. He said posters who write tasteless messages use football and the rivalries between teams as a way of getting out their aggression in a non-violent manner. It's not necessarily a new phenomenon, just one that is more evident because of the instant communication that is available via the Internet.

"We have a degree of transference on sports figures," Friday said. "It's a way of vicariously going to battle. People can blog and send thoughts, and feel a self-induced empowerment."

The Steelers' success also is part of the equation, he said. If the Steelers had not won the Super Bowl in February, people would not post such vitriolic messages. The Steelers are kings of the mountain, and their players are being transformed from humans into symbols, waiting to be knocked from their high perch.

"We identify with our champions," Friday said. "Maybe 3,000 years ago when we were still throwing rocks at each other, the Davids wanted to hit the Goliaths between the eyes. Every year now, we anoint a new Goliath. And we are the new Goliath after winning the Super Bowl.

"Our heroes are no longer humans. They're symbols. Ben is no longer Mrs. Roethlisberger's son or someone who is coming to dinner. He is someone who represents the wars that take place. And there are no bigger wars than the ones that take place in the 5 1/2 inches between our ears."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correction/Clarification: (Published June 16, 2006) Internet forums for Cincinnati Bengals fans can be found at bengalszone.com and forums for Cleveland Browns backers are at thebrownsboard.com. They were listed incorrectly in this story on fan response to Ben Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident in June 15, 2006 editions.

First published on June 15, 2006 at 12:00 am

Ray Fittipaldo can be reached at rfittipaldo@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1230.

This was sent to me by Ozzie as a fun reminder about the Rivalry:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06166/698372-66.stm

"Our heroes are no longer humans. They're symbols. Ben is no longer Mrs. Roethlisberger's son or someone who is coming to dinner. He is someone who represents the wars that take place. And there are no bigger wars than the ones that take place in the 5 1/2 inches between our ears."

Ray Fittipaldo can be reached at rfittipaldo@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1230.

What he fails to point out is that Pittsburgh injects MORE Human Growth Hormone and steroids into their players than any other team so they're not REALLY human. Last time Big Ben went Bambi - he went behind closed doors in weird science project #200 and presto: Pittsburgh QB has brand new leg and passer efficiency.

Seriously, look at that team's struggles before the Bambi pose and look at how 1 corrupt illegal solution produced 1 inhuman player that some mom and dad call son. Why do I hear Mel's Gibsons screaming "GIVE ME BACK MY SON!" or Greg Lloyd's son screaming "GIVE ME BACK MY 165 POUND DAD WITHOUT THE GUNS!" ???

Should fans that dislike corruption HAVE to tell Steeler players that SI has a running body count? We'd be glad to tell them if they were steroid free - but is that realistic? BTW, the lady that Steeler fans were bold enough to threaten not only has a mom and dad too but I heard the police report said she used her blinkers. She wasn't the one all roided up not thinking straight.

Who's kiddin who? Pittsburgh is the NFL version of Sodom and Gomorroh and SI is like the New Testament covering it all. The Rooneys have that Team Doctor they were trying to investigate hidden in some tropical paradise. You gotta better chance of finding where Jimmy Hoffa got buried. How does Willie Parker metamorphasize from backup RB at North Carolina to star player in Pittsburgh? Stay tuned for the next chapter of Sports Illustrated.

- Tom F. (The same author writing about right and wrong never asked for permission to use our quotes or website BUT nonetheless - there had to be something worth reading in that jibberish so I was glad we could help!)

Whatever jackasses piss on winners and denial losing.......................and losers are jackasses..........meanwhile winners work on admiting what makes winners and emulate.......

take it for whatever it is worth

I made a nice thread about OHIO and football coaches..........why don't you use up of your energy to piss on me for that thread....instead of whining like an asshole here

BTW in case you still don get it.........working on winning is demanding Sewage gets fired..........football 101...........working on winning

I am sure this message of total wisdom went zooming way over the intellect........but I trust and hope a mea culpa will ensue from you......but I shall not hold my breath.......

Whatever jackasses piss on winners and denial losing.......................and losers are jackasses..........meanwhile winners work on admiting what makes winners and emulate.......

take it for whatever it is worth

I made a nice thread about OHIO and football coaches..........why don't you use up of your energy to piss on me for that thread....instead of whining like an asshole here

BTW in case you still don get it.........working on winning is demanding Sewage gets fired..........football 101...........working on winning

I am sure this message of total wisdom went zooming way over the intellect........but I trust and hope a mea culpa will ensue from you......but I shall not hold my breath.......

Hey da ich, tell that whiney sumbitch the way it is, you be da man.

Love yah bro..........YOU JUST DO NOT GET IT..........but that is not unusual in Brownstown now................

no need to continue...............because your objective is the find fault with my expertise which proves correctomundo year after year

and PISS ON IT IT

thus believe your fantasies and continue to deny what it takes to win...........and Salute dimwits like Sewage

I have made specific comments now numbering on a hundred since the Browns returned............about 95 have been 100% correct............and some have had amnesia on all 95%

do what you wish........pissing on me for knowing what takes winning is the easy way out

maybe you should worry more about what it takes to win instead of how to criticize me for saying what IS HAPPENING

Because Steeler fans would never say anything negative about a Browns player, say Kellen Winslow, if he had a motorcycle accident. :rolleyes:

I agree with your statement here brother... Dumbarses Reign on-line. Though getting clocked at 35 Mph by a Car and putting your head thru windshields and Pavement is different than Flipping a Bike trying to be a Trick Rider and tearing up you Knee ! Wouldn't you agree ?

piss and moan piss and moan!

we all know that rich is a steelers fan too!

who gives a shit about the steelers?

and because we have had such a shitty season we are not allowed to make fun of the steelers?

If you answered Yes You Can....Suck It!

Dr. Paul Friday, the director of clinical psychology at UPMC Shady Side, said the posters of these comments are people with psychological problems whose brains never fully developed.

He must have perused our "Political Discussion" section before he made this statement.

He must have perused our "Political Discussion" section before he made this statement.

Too bad he didn't follow in Joe Friday's footsetps because me might actually know who the flock he is. As fas as I'm concerned, he's just some sweat that opened up a bar in the middle of some Pittsburgh trailer park that threw the word Dr in front of his name. How else do you market warm Iron City rat piss?

- Tom F. (If there's 3 dumb ass Steeler fans in a car on Sunday - who's driving? The cop)

Too bad he didn't follow in Joe Friday's footsetps because me might actually know who the flock he is. As fas as I'm concerned, he's just some sweat that opened up a bar in the middle of some Pittsburgh trailer park that threw the word Dr in front of his name. How else do you market warm Iron City rat piss?

- Tom F. (If there's 3 dumb ass Steeler fans in a car on Sunday - who's driving? The cop)

Or maybe he is the Pittsburgh doctor who found the cure for Polio, or maybe he is the Pittsburgh doctor who successfully performed the world's first organ transplant, or maybe he is the Pittsburgh doctor who did the world's first lasic eye surgery. He probably is just one of the world's top doctors who work in Pittsburgh that do surgeys for poeple from all world becuase UMPC Pittsburgh docotrs have the highest full recovery rate when they perform life threatening surgerys on patients.

Wasn't that last on a nice run-on?

Or maybe he is the Pittsburgh doctor who found the cure for Polio, or maybe he is the Pittsburgh doctor who successfully performed the world's first organ transplant, or maybe he is the Pittsburgh doctor who did the world's first lasic eye surgery. He probably is just one of the world's top doctors who work in Pittsburgh that do surgeys for poeple from all world becuase UMPC Pittsburgh docotrs have the highest full recovery rate when they perform life threatening surgerys on patients.

Wasn't that last on a nice run-on?

LOL! Okay Mr Trailer Park Shakespeare. Just like they invented pro football in your city in 1970. Let's take a more accurate look into Jonas Salk and feel free to correct me as necessary:

"Jonas Salk was born in New York City. His parents were Russian-Jewish immigrants who, although they themselves lacked formal education, were determined to see their children succeed, and encouraged them to study hard. Jonas Salk was the first member of his family to go to college. He entered the City College of New York intending to study law, but soon became intrigued by medical science."

The ONLY thing that was discovered in Pittsburgh was that sleeping around in the family leads to congenital mutations like 1 leg being longer than the other. I'll give you all the credit you need for that one. I can see how a simple basterd would confuse that with the Polio Virus. I think this discovery you speak of started when your daddy played Doctor with your sister. That wasn't "Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" in your house. That was Dr. Lickalottapuss or as you put it "dad."

- Tom F.

Guest Masters

Rich is right on topic with his comments in this thread. He proves one of the Dr.'s points.

People can blog and send thoughts, and feel a self-induced empowerment."

Which is why our dear friend always changes subjects when confronted with facts that go against his rand. Why he must keep things in a gray area, so he can yell the loudest, while never truly being right or wrong (or at least in a provable way). Someone needs to feel some empowerment, don't they Richie?

Rich is right on topic with his comments in this thread. He proves one of the Dr.'s points.

People can blog and send thoughts, and feel a self-induced empowerment."

Which is why our dear friend always changes subjects when confronted with facts that go against his rand. Why he must keep things in a gray area, so he can yell the loudest, while never truly being right or wrong (or at least in a provable way). Someone needs to feel some empowerment, don't they Richie?

I just find it amusing that the same Pittsburgh Gazette newspaper pleaded ignorant to how Pittsburgh fans conducted themselves the day Winslow crashed his motorcycle. Or, how they acted when their version of take a knee differed from that of GOOD sportsmanship in Cincy. They were already down 10-0 at the time so something CHEAP needed to prevent FUBAR. If that's not enough, how their 70s steroid corruption got a blind eye SI wasn't willing to play hush hush with so they did a body count of what happens to those that cheat and take short cuts. Almost the same story as Death in the Lockerroom about former Olympians cuttin life short by 2-3 decades. The thing I can't get past is how Pittsburgh looks at a widespread Ben Johnson story as somethign to aspire to. It's like rooting for 22 heroin addicts to shoot up. Not me, not now, not ever. Just say no.

We're just fans BUT Mike Webster was eating out of garbage cans in the streets of Pittsburgh where "win at all costs" gave a middle finger to Webster's family. No Ben Johnson Trophy or ring is worth burying your dad for. In Steeltown they break out the fiction every time we want to talk non-fiction with them. Different strokes for different folks. I'm sure the Lloyd family grew very proud of the head of their household. Doesn't every son dream of placing his two lips around a loaded pistol that dad has pressed up against his tonsils?

In conclusion, we've ALWAYS had the option to root for ANY of the 32 teams. What's fun about rooting for compromised ethics and he who cheats most? I'd rather do it the right way, without the Ryan Tucker, Ross Verba and Lyle Alzado types. Those guys never took us anywhere special and I heard teammates hated Verba and Alzado.

- Tom F. (Somebody wanted to talk about Dr Salk instead of the HGH Dr that got them their last trophy. What a time for pretending we care about our fellow humans)

Someone helped me and I thanked him. Where did you get the word "victory" from? Maybe from the Steelers?

If Pittsburgh chokes at home again this January - does their new Head Coach get fired? See what happens when they don't look to former Cleveland players to save their ass? It's winless in January!

- Tom F.

Archived