THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner's Decision

YtownBrownsBacker

Randy Lerner has stated he will stay in Cleveland and start his evaluation process on Monday. He will have an anouncement by Wednesday.

No indication if RAC will get the ax immediately and Savage will come later or if he'll make both decisions now.

Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel, owner Randy Lerner to meet next week

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Coach Romeo Crennel has talked to Browns owner Randy Lerner and has been assured that he'll have a chance to meet with him next week.

It means Crennel will most likely not be fired Sunday night after the season finale in Pittsburgh and that he might still meet with the media for his postseason news conference Monday.

"His [Lerner's] schedule varies a little bit, so I'm looking at sometime next week," Crennel said.

Crennel already has said he'll try to state his case for keeping his job. One thing he'll cite is the victory over the Giants.

"I think we can look at that Giants game and say if we prepare like we did for that game and play like we did in that game, that is what the future can be," Crennel said on his conference call with Pittsburgh media.

He said if he's let go, he'll weigh his options, one of which would be not coaching next year and spending time with his grandchildren.

Zastudil ailing:

Punter Dave Zastudil was limited in practice Friday with tendinitis in his right knee, the plant leg, and is listed as questionable. He punted great with the sore leg last week against the Bengals, but battled through the pain.

The Browns signed rookie punter Mike Dragosavich to the practice squad. Dragosavich (6-5, 190) was signed by the Patriots as an undrafted free agent out of North Dakota State in May and was waived in June. At North Dakota State, he punted 158 times for 7,025 yards and finished as the school's career leader with a 44.5 average.

Top player, good guy:

Shaun Rogers was unanimously voted Browns Player of the Year by the local chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America. Cornerback Brandon McDonald received the Dino Lucarelli Good Guy Award.

Rogers is fourth on the team with 77 tackles, and first with eight for a loss. He's also first in both sacks and pressures, with 4.5 and 15, respectively.

McDonald won for answering all questions in good times and bad.

Injury report:

Kellen Winslow is doubtful with his high ankle sprain and two players besides Zastudil are questionable: Darnell Dinkins (ribs) and Leon Williams (knee). For the Steelers, linebacker James Harrison, fourth in the NFL with 16 sacks, has been idle with a hip injury and is questionable.

Cribbs ready:

Josh Cribbs wore a brace on his right ankle Friday, but he said it was fine after twisting it in practice Wednesday. He also loved the news that Crennel will rely on him more at quarterback in Pittsburgh now that the Browns are down to fourth-stringer Bruce Gradkowski.

"It's the last game and I'm like, 'Romeo, man, just call the plays, whether they're designed or not,' " he said. "Just call quarterback plays. I'm going to be in his ear all game, especially it being the last one, I'm like, 'What is there to lose?' "

Cribbs said with a laugh that in running the option, he might have to take some liberties.

"Being the last game, I'm not greedy, but I'll do what I have to do to win and make plays."

Crennel on QBs:

Crennel was asked what he would've said if someone told him he'd head into the season finale with Gradkowski and Richard Bartel at quarterback.

"I would have told them they're crazy because going in, we felt really good about the quarterback situation," he said. "We had a guy who had just won 10 games, and then we had a top draft choice that we felt good about and we were saying it was a good problem to have.

"Now we're down to four and five. Just about everything has kind of gone wrong this year, and so this kind of fits right in with it."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

Cleveland Browns coach Romeo Crennel, owner Randy Lerner to meet next week

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Coach Romeo Crennel has talked to Browns owner Randy Lerner and has been assured that he'll have a chance to meet with him next week.

It means Crennel will most likely not be fired Sunday night after the season finale in Pittsburgh and that he might still meet with the media for his postseason news conference Monday.

"His [Lerner's] schedule varies a little bit, so I'm looking at sometime next week," Crennel said.

Crennel already has said he'll try to state his case for keeping his job. One thing he'll cite is the victory over the Giants.

"I think we can look at that Giants game and say if we prepare like we did for that game and play like we did in that game, that is what the future can be," Crennel said on his conference call with Pittsburgh media.

He said if he's let go, he'll weigh his options, one of which would be not coaching next year and spending time with his grandchildren.

Zastudil ailing:

Punter Dave Zastudil was limited in practice Friday with tendinitis in his right knee, the plant leg, and is listed as questionable. He punted great with the sore leg last week against the Bengals, but battled through the pain.

The Browns signed rookie punter Mike Dragosavich to the practice squad. Dragosavich (6-5, 190) was signed by the Patriots as an undrafted free agent out of North Dakota State in May and was waived in June. At North Dakota State, he punted 158 times for 7,025 yards and finished as the school's career leader with a 44.5 average.

Top player, good guy:

Shaun Rogers was unanimously voted Browns Player of the Year by the local chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America. Cornerback Brandon McDonald received the Dino Lucarelli Good Guy Award.

Rogers is fourth on the team with 77 tackles, and first with eight for a loss. He's also first in both sacks and pressures, with 4.5 and 15, respectively.

McDonald won for answering all questions in good times and bad.

Injury report:

Kellen Winslow is doubtful with his high ankle sprain and two players besides Zastudil are questionable: Darnell Dinkins (ribs) and Leon Williams (knee). For the Steelers, linebacker James Harrison, fourth in the NFL with 16 sacks, has been idle with a hip injury and is questionable.

Cribbs ready:

Josh Cribbs wore a brace on his right ankle Friday, but he said it was fine after twisting it in practice Wednesday. He also loved the news that Crennel will rely on him more at quarterback in Pittsburgh now that the Browns are down to fourth-stringer Bruce Gradkowski.

"It's the last game and I'm like, 'Romeo, man, just call the plays, whether they're designed or not,' " he said. "Just call quarterback plays. I'm going to be in his ear all game, especially it being the last one, I'm like, 'What is there to lose?' "

Cribbs said with a laugh that in running the option, he might have to take some liberties.

"Being the last game, I'm not greedy, but I'll do what I have to do to win and make plays."

Crennel on QBs:

Crennel was asked what he would've said if someone told him he'd head into the season finale with Gradkowski and Richard Bartel at quarterback.

"I would have told them they're crazy because going in, we felt really good about the quarterback situation," he said. "We had a guy who had just won 10 games, and then we had a top draft choice that we felt good about and we were saying it was a good problem to have.

"Now we're down to four and five. Just about everything has kind of gone wrong this year, and so this kind of fits right in with it."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670

I think it is safe to say in the 4 seasons crennel has been the HC he has failed to prep this team in the pre-season..every year we come out looking less prepared then a jr high school team we always have a slow start..injuries are going to happen and they are going to effect any team but the fact that rac and his staff fail to develop and prepare starters,rookies and backups for their role is unacceptable..romeo's coaching style is unacceptable his staff is a cast of losers with a capitol "L"...he and his staff doesnt use or apply the talent we have correctly or creatively...

Our coaching staff uses fairly static basic vanilla everything and are insanely easy to prepare for and exploit there is no variation on offense or defense and no excuses can be effectively made after 4 years even with injuries we should have been more effective then 4-12 or 5-11 against a team that wont even be playing most of their starters..

Romeo must go if lerner keeps him or savage it shows how little he cares about having a fanbase outside of cleveland or a winning franchise...

The worst part of it all is romeo is very likely a good guy if you know him personally its just tragic that he is not a great or even a good coach i would say if he could pick his own players that would make a difference but the truth is it wouldnt rac is a horrible evaluator of talent..

Randy Lerner has stated he will stay in Cleveland and start his evaluation process on Monday. He will have an anouncement by Wednesday.

No indication if RAC will get the ax immediately and Savage will come later or if he'll make both decisions now.

Wednesday? 4 years plus Monday & Tuesday? Is this another FREAKIN red flag or what? You gotta know your business better than this Randy. Can we have a "Paul Brown Rule" that Dumb Asses with inheritances shouldn't be allowed to OWN NFL teams unless they can exceed VY's Wonderlic score? That would REALLY shake up the AFC North and the battle of Ohio.

- Tom F.

Wednesday? 4 years plus Monday & Tuesday? Is this another FREAKIN red flag or what? You gotta know your business better than this Randy. Can we have a "Paul Brown Rule" that Dumb Asses with inheritances shouldn't be allowed to OWN NFL teams unless they can exceed VY's Wonderlic score? That would REALLY shake up the AFC North and the battle of Ohio.

- Tom F.

+11ty billion.

If what we've seen trotted out on the field for each game this year (and from previous years) isn't enough to make the axe fall immediately, then Lerner doesn't have the sense God gave a rock.

I'd fire him even if he admitted to being a Cylon and keeping him around would prevent the destruction of Earth.

"I think we can look at that Giants game and say if we prepare like we did for that game and play like we did in that game, that is what the future can be,

Well! Well! Well! If we should've, could've, would've, Coached like that every week.

We wouldn't be having this conversation.

Look in a mirror Romeo and dont blame the players for not being motivated, thats your job. ......Or it was. :ph34r:

Thank you T and hiwaygal for pulling out the quote of the year from the article.

Thanks, Romeo. If that's the argument you plan on presenting to Lerner, you best rethink that shit. Quickly.

Thank you T and hiwaygal for pulling out the quote of the year from the article.

Thanks, Romeo. If that's the argument you plan on presenting to Lerner, you best rethink that shit. Quickly.

"Great minds think alike"

Thank You mz the pussy!

Guest Ghoolie

OH, Ooooooh, OMG, OMG , OMG, Stop the presses, declare a National Holiday, Call the Media, Suspend all school and close our government down, RANDY LERNER is going to meet with Savage and Crennel and THEN render his decision!!!!!

Holy shit, this is important news.

The dumb, incompetent bastard is going to meet with his dik-heads for what? To decide what needs to be done to bring the Browns pittiful 4 - 10 record up to his Father's legacy of a .300 team?

Hey, this is a franchise that has ROUTINELY delivered 4.8 wins per year on average and Lerner is going to do whatever he has to do to get the Browns back to that illustrious position.

Don't be surprised to see the team possibly win 5 games in 2010. Oh, it'll take some major moves, but mark my words, in TWO YEARS the Browns will once again achieve 5 wins.

Hey, I know, I'n a Homer.

OH, Ooooooh, OMG, OMG , OMG, Stop the presses, declare a National Holiday, Call the Media, Suspend all school and close our government down, RANDY LERNER is going to meet with Savage and Crennel and THEN render his decision!!!!!

Holy shit, this is important news.

The dumb, incompetent bastard is going to meet with his dik-heads for what? To decide what needs to be done to bring the Browns pittiful 4 - 10 record up to his Father's legacy of a .300 team?

Hey, this is a franchise that has ROUTINELY delivered 4.8 wins per year on average and Lerner is going to do whatever he has to do to get the Browns back to that illustrious position.

Don't be surprised to see the team possibly win 5 games in 2010. Oh, it'll take some major moves, but mark my words, in TWO YEARS the Browns will once again achieve 5 wins.

Hey, I know, I'n a Homer.

no youre a negative asshole who thinks he knows it all...go sell shoes or something and relieve yourself of the constant menstrual migraine you have...being a real browns fan apparently isnt your forte in life...if it makes you feel this bad... go and be a front running turncoat and root for the steelers please...

Archived