THE BROWNS BOARD

Off Browns Topic - NEED HELP!

listercat

I am attempting to teach Lister Jr to drive and it is scaring the living sh-t out of me! He has his temps; does not have much time with sports to learn how to drive; but I am telling you my friends this is horrid! I am white knuckled...brake...brake...GOD BREAK! and he is fine just no experience

Any sage thoughts?

My father was the same way with me, and I'm sure I'll be the same whenever I have a kid (shit, I'm like then when the wife drives).

The only thing I would say is to just be patient and encourage him. I remember how nervous I was when I started driving. My folks were patient with me and I'm grateful.

The wife and I sent my twin stepdaughters to a "AAA" driving school where they got both classroom and behind the wheel training with an instructor. Plus we got a discount on insurance once they passed the course. Their high school offered drivers ed. but they couldn't take it in time for them to get their license when they turned 16.

I am attempting to teach Lister Jr to drive and it is scaring the living sh-t out of me! He has his temps; does not have much time with sports to learn how to drive; but I am telling you my friends this is horrid! I am white knuckled...brake...brake...GOD BREAK! and he is fine just no experience

Any sage thoughts?

I'll agree with some of the others- if he's scaring the hell out of you, pay the $$$ and get a driving school instructor- they have dual brakes.

I don't have any first hand experience teaching to drive, but I can tell you what my dad did that worked for me and that I intend to put my own spin on.

First, drive around an empty parking lot and go over the most basics, and I mean break it down, i.e.:

Rule #1: You are controlling a DEADLY object and YOU are SOLELY RESPONSIBLE for whatever happens while you are driving. There are ZERO excuses when you are behind the wheel.

Rule #2: There is NO EXCUSE for hitting ANYTHING while driving. See Rule #1.

Rule #3: The purpose of driving is to arrive safely.

Rule #4: No excessive speeding. See Rule #3.

This may sound like "duh" but the point is to emphasize the seriousness of driving and to make sure that lister Jr. understands TOTALLY and CLEARLY that this is big boy time. No b.s. in a car.

Bottom line: learning to drive is the modern equivalent of learning to hunt in the olden days. You have to treat it like a right of passage and get your son to understand that driving is the MOST SERIOUS and MOST DANGEROUS thing he's legally allowed to do. He needs to get that.

I'm grateful for that lesson and intend on passing it on. Good luck!

Juki

I do appreciate the help from all! Very salient points; indeed I will follow them esp the reiteration of how dangerous driving a car can be

That said; I think it best to take him to an empty parking lot; go over the basics and spend the cash for a professional driving school. Money well spent in my opinion

Any sage thoughts?

Tell him to make sure when he corners that all four wheels stay on the ground............riding on two will give you an ulcer

i've been through it twice. Hang tough. My son always drove too close to the curb- drove me crazy. i thought he was going to ruin my rims/sidewalls. My father taught me about total awareness/defensive driving. He always asked me what was behind me- emphasizing the rear mirrors. i took the same approach.

As others have mentioned, teach resposibility. i don't envy you.

There's lots of tips I could give, but I would emphasize not to use a cell phone while driving.

As an adult, I'm guilty of talking and even texting while driving, but at least I have experience behind the wheel. If I were a teenager again, I'm sure I'd think in my invincible mind that I could easily do both. Good luck in discouraging him from this bad habit.

Teach him that he is driving a legal weapon of mass destruction. That his actions could end up killing someone if he is not careful and smart and alert about it.

That it is never ok to drink and drive!

And limit his passengers while he is first learning to drive, IE no more then one.

That driving is a privilege not a right.

To use no more gas then needed.

I recently taught my wife to drive. start in a giant parking lot. drive in circles, practice pulling in and out of parking spaces. After he masters that (5-7 years hahaha)Then find an industrial area... why.. becase the streets are usually REALLY wide and not much traffic. Do that for a couple weeks.. as he masters each area..then move to residential blocks, lots of stop signs.... then slowly out to the main streets. Pray a lot.. explain that LEFT turns are the most dangerous situation in driving. after he masters these things... Lock him in the closet for 5 more years..hahahah.. no practice the maneuverablity for a long time.. Once he learns gets his license.... I don't have a kid.... wife is much different..she really didn't want to drive.. 4 years later she still makes me drive everywhere but for her going to work and back.. but if I had a kid.. i doubt i would let him drive too much for the first year or two.

Guest Ghoolie

Any sage thoughts?

Why not hire a Dominatrix to beat the shit out him and introduce him to CBT? That drives a lot of guys.

God bless you, Listercat.

I find it somewhat unnerving to be a passenger most of the time no matter who is driving. Luckily for me, my older son was and still is a student of cars and driving. For his current job he needed a CDL so he can take big trucks to the U.P. of Michigan to drive them on ice during winter test. In his spare time, he helps engineer parts for a friend of his who races BMW's. Even so, when he first learned to drive, he was not allowed to have ANY passengers or listen to the radio for the first few weeks after he started driving. There were also roads he wasn't allowed on because of various dangers. No phone while driving either. I very quickly relaxed some of the restrictions, but I ran a tight ship until I felt comfortable that he would be reasonably safe. As far as I was concerned, there was only one issue: Keep mom and dad from worrying. Any teenager who can do that will be a happy teenager and a driving teenager. A driver's license and car keys are bestowed by parents and can be revoked by parents with no notice. (Said with a smile, that doesn't sound nearly as awful.)

I remember that when I first started driving I thought I knew how to get places but didn't really know the precise route. My kids discovered the same thing. So I spent a little time going over how to get places they wanted to go ... things like where to turn, what lane to be in, how to navigate the parking structure at the mall, etc.

I also let the kids know the local driving culture. My son tells me that in Pittsburgh, drivers are likely to turn left in front of you when the light changes. Even though it's technically illegal, it's accepted practice there at certain spots. Here there are certain parts of town where drivers do goofy things. Also if you turn right where it says "no right turn on red" it's a four point moving violation.

Teaching a kid to drive takes a while and involves several stages. I don't remember my younger son learning to drive at all. I must have blocked it out.

Archived