THE BROWNS BOARD

TOP COACHES FOR NEXT YEAR

Sez.EJ

THESE ARE RANKED TOP TO BOTTOM PER MY PREFERENCE... NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOP 4 FOR ME. 5 AND 7 COME WITH SERIOUS RESERVATIONS #8 IS A DEFINATE. "NOT IN THIS LIFE"

1. Jim Schwartz: Currently Titans DC: is in his 10th season with the Titans and eighth as defensive coordinator. two statistics jump out: third-down defense and rushing

defense. Over the last seven seasons, the Titans rank sixth in the league in third-down defense (36.3% conversion rate) and eighth in the league in rushing

defense (105 yards per game). only eight 100-yard rushers in the last 56 home games. Great D even after chopping 7 starters after the 04 season..WOW!

That takes real coaching. Was previously the linebacker coach. Graduate of economics from GEORGETOWN.. a real school. lettered at LB 4 years. Also

worked under billichek in Cleveland. some college coaching stops as LB and Secondary coach

* no complaints if we hire this guy. smart and tough... has worked under one of the best. 44 yrs old. probably my top choice push cOme to shove.

2. Steve Spagnolo: Currenty Giants DC. 2nd season as Giants DC . Giants 25th in D prior to Spags arrival. top 10 in eight statistical categories, third down conversions

(34.6 percent) and yards allowed per play (4.96 yards). In 20 regular season and postseason games, the Giants’ defense held opponents to 17 points or

less 12 times. eight seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles, the last three as the club's linebackers coach. began there in 99 as defensive assistant then to

db coach before going to lbers, then DC... pretty good and steady rise to the top... He definately is the one running the D under Caughlin from what is

known out there... not just a puppet. he coached in college for aprox 13 years and 2 in nfl europe where he was the DC of franfurt galaxy who went to

the championship, also worked special teams and DL the year before with Barcelona.. many of his nfl europe players made the transition to the nfl or

should i say many more than most teams sent there (the stats are there if you search)

* solid pick.. only 2 years at DC.. but appears to be ready to be head coach. My big question.. is he ready? or just the sexy pick.

3. Rex Ryan: Currently DC of Ravens: 9 years with Baltimore, 12 in the nfl, 3 years in other places.. Son of Buddy so had a lifeline into nfl coaching. 2006 nfl asst. coach

of the year, 3rd year as DC, 6 prior as DL coach.. man can we use that...I don't need to put a lot of stats up for this guys D'fenses.. We

play them 2x a year so we know they are great and well coached.. His D's just do not give up many points and doing this without

offensive help. We also know that asshole was not running the show on Ryan's Defense..

* Solid pick, not sure if he is the benefactor of great talent being funelled his way by Ozzie or if he is as good as advertised. Seems to be ready.

4. Jason Garret: Currently Assistant Head coach/ OC of the Cowboys: Only 4 years nfl experience 2 years with Dallas. 2007 2nd in scoring, average of 28.4 points-per-

game, sent seven offensive players to the Pro Bowl, (him or the players?) Romo's 1st season qb rating of 97.4 .. this says something about his coaching.

He began in Miami 2005 as the qb coach and had to work with five different starting quarterbacks over 32 regular season games. In 2005 Miami

quarterbacks threw 22 touchdowns with just 16 interceptions. not bad when your going through QB's like the Browns.. we have seen the results on our own

team so he did a good job managing these guys. Spent many years as a player under OC's Norv Turner and Earnie Zampese.. 2 of the best. Has some ties

to University School in Chagrin Falls

* Not sure we could pry him away from Dallas... I would be very happy with this pick..Not much experience.. but believe he would be solid.

5. Bill Cower: Currently announcing. Formerly Headcoach of the Squeelers. I am not going to give you history on this guy.. If you don't know.. you would not be on this

board. I am fine with him being head coach.. but to be the GM too... I say NO WAY... I do not like the idea of giving any one guy too much controll and too

many jobs, Just being a headcoach is a 75-90 hour a week job.. You cannot be GM too cuz one job or the other will suffer.

* As headcoach.. I say YES....To Head coach AND GM.. I say NO WAY... Not real sure he will want to coach vs the Steelers as he has great respect for the

Rooneys.

6. Mike Mularky: currently OC in Atlanta, has done an amazing job with his rookie QB and young offense and made the playoffs.. Who woulda thought that? Awsome

coaching job this year. is the dark horse candidate.. not a great results in Buffalo (2 years HC) but the experience would help.. Has been OC in

Pissburgh 01 to 03 (finshied 3rd and 5th om offense), but coaching in Pittsburge since 96 mostly as tight ends coach , Miami OC in 2006. 9 years as a nfl

tight end with 3 teams.

* He would be OK as our HC but lower on my list

7. Mary Shot-and-Beer: (Sorry I have been calling him that too long to change it now, and it is no way meant to be derogatory.. just think its funny) I love Marty and

laughed my arse off when he got fired after going 14-2... Not at Marty, but at how stupid the Chargers were for firing him. Then they hired

NORV??!! hahahah a sure solution to run your team into the toilet.. We have seen that happening right before our eyes...

* much as I love Marty.. This ship has sailed.. I really do not want him back again. If we hired him... I would not really complain.. guy knows how to

coach and win.

8 Josh McDaniels: Currently OC of Patriots: Only 32 years old.. I say NO WAY.. don't want another Billichek pawn who we are not even sure he really coaches or just wipes

Bill's butt since Bill runs everything.

* I am sure there are others..but these are MY top guys... and the ones getting the most jock riding in the press and on the board.

I just read something about how the Browns may offer Crennel a chance to stay in the organization as a defensive coordinator. I don't get how they can do that though, because when a new head coach comes in he's going to want his own hand picked assistants.

THESE ARE RANKED TOP TO BOTTOM PER MY PREFERENCE... NOT MUCH DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TOP 4 FOR ME. 5 AND 7 COME WITH SERIOUS RESERVATIONS #8 IS A DEFINATE. "NOT IN THIS LIFE"

Thanks for the interesting writeup Sez. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens this week. Still not sure why Lerner thinks he needs until Wednesday to decide which way his compass points if he's had a pulse the last 4 years. If we gotta do up the Rooney Rule thing for an interview - why not James Lofton who graduated from Stanford and hung around in this league forever and played in some Superbowls for Buffalo? Our vertical game is challenged so I'd at least like to see him get an interview. Ernest Byner is the RBs Coach in TN and he'd be a Rooney Rule interview worth conducting too.

If Cowher or Marty coached couldn't you see Byner coming here to help coach up our running game? I'm worried we won't get Cowher so Rex Ryan and Spags appear to be my favorite alternatives.

- Tom F.

I don't see Romeo going to DC. New coach new staff. Only way is even remotely possible is if we stay with a 3-4 which is doubtful. As for minority candidates.. I am sure there are several qualified. Not sure if Singletary can officially be hired by san fran... but we could certainly do worse than him. I like his fire and coaching roots.. He has that old school attitude I love.

OK Cohwer is out.. I am actually breathing a sigh of relief for some reason.. I was wondering about Herm Edwards.. If the Chiefs axe him.. I like him a lot.. Guy can coach.. Jets were stupid for getting rid of him.. Chiefs are just about as screwed up as we are right now.. but they do have Herm.. His is good.

OK Cohwer is out.. I am actually breathing a sigh of relief for some reason.. I was wondering about Herm Edwards.. If the Chiefs axe him.. I like him a lot.. Guy can coach.. Jets were stupid for getting rid of him.. Chiefs are just about as screwed up as we are right now.. but they do have Herm.. His is good.

oh, god, no. herm edwards is romeo with a fully buttoned polo shirt. he runs teams into the ground everywhere he goes.

Fisher runs the Titans defense, Schwartz is his pimp.

Spagnola mentored under Jimmy Johnson the Eagles DC and runs the whole show for the Giants on the defensive side of the ball.

The Cowboys have already given Garrett permission to interview with the Lions and K.C. He had a flunk-out year this year and his offense is as perdictable as Chuds.

Rex Ryan is a DC and has no experience with any other part of the game. That's scary.

Cowher has said no, but is willing to talk to the Jets.

Mularky is a retread, was a failure as a HC in Buffalo, enough said. Good coordinator and that's it.

Marty isn't interested in coaching, looking for an avenue for his son to be a HC.

If you would have done a little more homework on McDaniel you would have found out that Tom Brady gives him the credit for his development, not Weiss. He also brought Cassell from nowhere to NFL star in one year. Belichick leaves all the offensive game planning to him. Belichick works with the defense. Bill Cowher was 32 when the Browns passed on him and Pittsburgh made him their HC.

My top pick would be Spagnola. I'd take McDaniel if he could convince me in an interview that he would bring in a top DC and turn the defense over to him. McDaniel is a better offensive mind then Garrett. I know his father well and Josh was born to be a coach. Note: He is a teacher and pays particular attention to the smallest details. He has a innovative offensive mind and fits the system to the players. Now, that is from an interview with Tom Brady.

1. Jim Schwartz: I like him, but he may be a product of Albert Haynesworth being amazing and Jeff Fisher. But I like him.

2. Steve Spagnolo: Would be excellent for this team IMO.

3. Rex Ryan: Again, I like him, but I think there's a reason he hasn't gotten that gig yet after being talked about being for a HC position for years it seems.

4. Jason Garret: Screw him. He couldn't score with Romo, Barber, TO, Witten, Williams etc.

5. Bill Cower: Prefers the Jets? Screw him too.

6. Mike Mularky: :lol:

7. Mary Shot-and-Beer: :lol:

8 Josh McDaniels: A risk, but coupled with Pioli and solid, aggressive coordinators, I can't see why anyone besides rich and Ghoolie would be dead-set against this.

Let's say we don't get Pioli. Who then f will we get as our GM?????

I don't see Romeo going to DC. New coach new staff. Only way is even remotely possible is if we stay with a 3-4 which is doubtful. As for minority candidates.. I am sure there are several qualified. Not sure if Singletary can officially be hired by san fran... but we could certainly do worse than him. I like his fire and coaching roots.. He has that old school attitude I love.

Singeltary is already off the market--I'm still not sure if he'll succeed, but he's done better than I thought in his interim period.

I could see RAC staying on as DC if it's Pioli/McDaniels. He's a Patriots guy, so it would fit in with the motif. McDaniels used to work under him, so there's a relationship. And most young coaches need an old hand around, and RAC would fill that need and not be a threat to replace McDaniels.

As for the other candidates:

1) Schwartz seems like a guy that is a solid HC in waiting. Would make an excellent choice if Pioli doesn't come to Cleveland and they bring in someone like Floyd Reese (his GM in Tennessee for a while) instead.

2) Spagnolo is another guy who could be a really good pick. Just as a "okay, it wouldn't happen, but still" thought, how weird would it be if he brought Chris Palmer along with him?

3) I'm not so sure about Ryan. He's done a good job, but the real star of the Ravens' defensive system is Ozzie Newsome...does the man ever whiff on a pick?

4) Garrett...oy. Alright, he seems to have fallen off the table this year, but remember that Owens has made every coach he's ever had look bad; if Parcells would rather quit than try to deal with him, can we blame Garrett? Plus it's hard to not question Tony Romo at this point; he is starting to look like a major choke artist, and it's hard to blame Garrett for Romo holding the ball for ten seconds at a time yesterday. Still, I would pass at the moment.

5) Cowher is a moot point.

6) I have no particular use for Mularkey.

7) Agreed with whoever says that Schottenheimer wants to be a GM to get his kid a HC job.

8) McDaniels...if Pioli comes, McDaniels will come. Let's hope for the best.

Dennis

Guest Aloysius

I'm rooting for Schwartz. He's the most Belichickian of all of the candidates to be Pioli's new Belichick.

Here's a cool quote:

"(Schwartz is) probably one of the smartest people that I've been around," Belichick said. "He's one of these guys that can be working on five or six things at the same time, and be right on top of all of them. He's a hard-working guy, he knows no hours and no time frame. He's very dedicated. He's a good football guy, a good football mind, a good guy to be around.

"He's done well. But that doesn't surprise me."

Tonight, Tony Grossi predicted that Schwartz will get the job. An NFL executive told Terry Pluto the same thing.

Plus, he's already got a ready-made catchphrase.

Fisher runs the Titans defense, Schwartz is his pimp.

Spagnola mentored under Jimmy Johnson the Eagles DC and runs the whole show for the Giants on the defensive side of the ball.

The Cowboys have already given Garrett permission to interview with the Lions and K.C. He had a flunk-out year this year and his offense is as perdictable as Chuds.

Rex Ryan is a DC and has no experience with any other part of the game. That's scary.

Cowher has said no, but is willing to talk to the Jets.

Mularky is a retread, was a failure as a HC in Buffalo, enough said. Good coordinator and that's it.

Marty isn't interested in coaching, looking for an avenue for his son to be a HC.

If you would have done a little more homework on McDaniel you would have found out that Tom Brady gives him the credit for his development, not Weiss. He also brought Cassell from nowhere to NFL star in one year. Belichick leaves all the offensive game planning to him. Belichick works with the defense. Bill Cowher was 32 when the Browns passed on him and Pittsburgh made him their HC.

My top pick would be Spagnola. I'd take McDaniels if he could convince me in an interview that he would bring in a top DC and turn the defense over to him. McDaniel is a better offensive mind then Garrett. I know his father well and Josh was born to be a coach. Note: He is a teacher and pays particular attention to the smallest details. He has a innovative offensive mind and fits the system to the players. Now, that is from an interview with Tom Brady.

This makes me want Mcdaniels even more, plus, he's a Cleveland guy, he played quarterback for John Carrol and I think with BQ this could be an awesome duo. I want Mcdaniels even if we dont get Pioli.

3) I'm not so sure about Ryan. He's done a good job, but the real star of the Ravens' defensive system is Ozzie Newsome...does the man ever whiff on a pick?

Well, there was this guy...

34187274.jpg

But I blame (thank) Savage.

Zombo

McDaniels scares me.. too young and I have to wonder....is he just a "coach Bill" puppet like Romeo?. I still like Swartz and Spags at the top of my list. If the Shanahan rumour is true. then he is right in this mix too then. ..Anyone have any idea who the minority coaches are that are going to be in all these interview processes??? The requirement now is that they must be interviewed... There certainly are many minority coaches around... who are we missing is my question.. Someone is going to come from no where and land one of these jobs.... just watch..Either that or someone will interview well enough to set themself up for the next offseason.

Archived