THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Savage fired

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
SAVAGE IS OUT IN CLEVELAND

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2008, 5:11 p.m.

A league source tells us that the Browns already have parted ways with G.M. Phil Savage.

The move was widely expected. It has come faster than anyone anticipated.

Some reports suggested that Savage would be given a chance to stick around in a reduced role; it currently appears that there will be a clean break.

The next question becomes whether the Browns will try to stiff Savage with respect to his buyout. Arguably, Savage’s e-mail exchange with a disgruntled fan could provide the Browns grounds for terminating Savage with cause.

And Savage doesn’t seem to have the temperament to fight such a decision via the filing of a formal grievance with the Commissioner’s office.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Aloysius

I had mixed feelings about getting rid of Savage. But now that he's gone, I'm excited about the possibility of bringing in Scott Pioli.

The next few days should be very interesting.

I had mixed feelings about getting rid of Savage. But now that he's gone, I'm excited about the possibility of bringing in Scott Pioli.

That has to be the plan, right???? If not, why would you fire the GM before the coach?

Guest Aloysius
That has to be the plan, right???? If not, why would you fire the GM before the coach?

I sure hope so.

Let's hope that Lerner hasn't become enamored with Floyd Reese or any other mediocre GM candidate.

I'm predicting (as Shep did yesterday) that it's Pioli.

Guest Aloysius

I could be wrong, but I don't think we'd have to wait for the Pats' season to be over to hire Pioli. Last year, the Falcons hired Tom Dimitroff in mid-January, weeks before the Pats' season ended.

However, things may be different in Pioli's case because

1. he's a higher-level front office guy

2. he may think it's somehow disrespectful to Belichick and the Pats to leave before their season is over.

As long as the new GM can hire his own coach is all I want, I don't want a GM having to play with his 2nd choice (not having the ability to pursue who he wants) like we did with Savage. I don't want that excuse to be able to be used. Tired of excuse I want wins.

while savage isn't a great PR guy, he's a decent evaluator of talent who makes moves to get the players the team needs. we should have found a way to keep him on as director of player personnel or director of scouting.

and crennel absolutely killed savage's tenure here. the last six games have been some of the worst football i've ever watched sixteen minutes of.

Savage done enough to kill his own career, the email to the fan and how he handled the KWII staph thing. Think Lerner figured the team needed the clean slate image so the players will see change not just a cover up. plus it got Savage out of here on the cheap. plus maybe lerner figured no one would come here under savage.

Via WTAM it was Triv who called it; stating that 'believe me, Phil is no longer with the Browns organization'

Triv may have got the story from the same PFT rumormill. Triv hates Savage more than Ghoolie does.

This would seem to be a newsworthy story, and i can't find it anywhere substantial. Anyone find it?

Well I heard Triv about a month ago stating he had talked to Lerner himself and Lerner is Quoted as saying that romeo would definately be fired and that savage would be demoted meaning basically hes gone...so...No real surprise to Me...Triv had the scoop a month ago...

Savage wasn't bad but he dug his own grave by resigning DA and sending that stupid email.

Add to that the fact that he should have shit-canned Crennel a long time ago, or never hired him, and I can justify why he's gone. But other than that, the guy brought in a ton of talent.

Add to that the fact that he should have shit-canned Crennel a long time ago, or never hired him, and I can justify why he's gone. But other than that, the guy brought in a ton of talent.

Savage didnt hire Crennel...Lerner did....

Archived