THE BROWNS BOARD

From the "I Did Not Know That" File

dencyguy

I don't remember reading about this before, but here's a factoid from the PD article on the possibility of Parcells becoming available:

>>Mortensen said the teams on Parcells' radar are the Browns, Jets, Lions, and Raiders. He would not, however, be interested in any job that his son-in-law Scott Pioli, the Patriots' executive president, is interested in. Pioli is the Browns' No. 1 choice for a new GM, according to multiple sources. <<

I didn't know they were related. It's possible to read the quick trigger on Savage in a couple of different ways. One is that he sucked as a GM and had virtually no credibility in a leadership role (ie, letting your coach go out and face the questions after you cuss out fans and cover up a staph outbreak), one is that Lerner is pretty much settled on Pioli, and one is that Lerner is signalling to Cowher or Parcells just how serious he is about ceding control of football operations to the right despot.

In the case of Parcells, I've called him a liar and scumbag (and pretty much stand beside those), and I questioned whether or not he could run an operation without being the coach. Clearly I was wrong, and if he decided to rule Cleveland with an iron fist, I would have no objection. Things might get interesting when it comes to coaching if he were to come to Cleveland, however. When he came to Miami, there was no pre-existing relationship with Cam Cameron, so it came as no surprise when he got the axe (plus drafting a punt returner at #9 didn't help). And he was interested in RAC in Miami. And RAC was on the staff that helped him get his first two rings. If Parcells were to come to Cleveland, I could see him keeping him around at least as DC.

Dennis

In the case of Parcells, I've called him a liar and scumbag (and pretty much stand beside those), and I questioned whether or not he could run an operation without being the coach. Clearly I was wrong, and if he decided to rule Cleveland with an iron fist, I would have no objection. Things might get interesting when it comes to coaching if he were to come to Cleveland, however. When he came to Miami, there was no pre-existing relationship with Cam Cameron, so it came as no surprise when he got the axe (plus drafting a punt returner at #9 didn't help). And he was interested in RAC in Miami. And RAC was on the staff that helped him get his first two rings. If Parcells were to come to Cleveland, I could see him keeping him around at least as DC.

Dennis

Thanks for the interesting post Dennis. Some really good points made. I don't think think you were ever too far offbase about him being a jerk with an ego. I think it just always boils down to what some franchises need most. This place has tried the nice-nice, the rah-rah and the 3rd choice. Let's make the RIGHT choice now.

The only thing that wouldn't thrill me is keeping RAC; but he does do better with a strong supervisor above him and players worried about consequences for half steppin. Not only that, he coached well when he had better talent to coach. I think alot of us overrate our talent levels. You don't set a record for quarters without TDs if you have enough playmakers. Instead you score by accident a few times or inspite of a dumb playcall. We didn't do that like ever.

Does anyone think Tony Romance goes to Cabo 1 week before the first playoff game if Parcells is there? Here's all we need to know about Parcells:

He took EVERY team he coached but Dallas to Conference Championship appearances. Any other coaches get Testaverde to a Conference Championship? He also took a Dallas team that wasn non-playoff level to playoffs. Jerry Jones chose TO over Parcells. Now look at Dallas vrs the Miami Dolphins 1 year after 1-15. It makes me feel happy TO got his way. LOVE that.

A player like Romo NEEDS Parcells. Simms might have hated Parcells the entire time he played for him; BUT he also knows there might not have been a better basterd for his career progression. I'm excited to see what happens this week.

- Tom F.

I don't disagree that Parcells could come in and make a difference, but I like others really don't like the guy. For that reason I hope we go down another path. He has kinda become the Larry Brown of the NFL the way he jumps from team to team. I'd like someone who is going to remain here for a while and build some continuity (part of the reason I wanted to keep Savage, but that's neither here nor there).

DEAD ON on the Simms perspective. Simms was a great quarterback, but would he have been, had he not been pushed and challenged like he was by Parcells ?

Parcells' greatest 'claim to fame player' was Lawrence Taylor (the greatest linebacker EVER) and they got along. Why, because Taylor was a mean ass player on the field. He did'nt need to be beat up to play well. Parcells and Taylor had alot in common. The guys that have the stuff already, as well as those that need to be pushed, will rise to a higher level.

I do not like Parcells either, but sure seems in todays climate with 'all about me' players, the pissed off pricks get the results from players no one else can. I say this team DESPERATELY needs someone like Parcells. I believe the shake up he'd create would hang around at least another season or two after he left as well.

Wandering around the NFL is a valid point too, but guys with his talent are also making the NFL all the moire interesting year after year rather than the old dynasty year after year. Who'd have ever picked Miami to do near what they did this season ????

I also did not know that before reading that article..../shrug

I expected the big tuna to turn miami around and become a contender in 2-3 years they are likely only a cinderella team this year but the tuna and crew are impressive to say the least...

Parcells has an out in his contract with Miami that states that he works only for Wayne Huizinga (sp?). If

Huizinga sells the team,as he is expected to do, Parcells is free to go and take the 12 mil owed him.

Parcells would be THE ideal coach for a soft team like the Browns. This team needs someone around

to kick some ass. Personally I would take Parcells over Cowher. Parcells has won with garbage while

Cowher had plenty of talent and only cashed in once.

Archived