THE BROWNS BOARD

Let's get something straight here

ballpeen

Whenever you have a coaching and GM change at the same time, everything you think you know about the team needs to be thrown out the window,

The guys you think that are probably safe, are probably gone, minus a few, and the guys you think are gone, probably are.

Two years from now, this roster is going to be purged about 75% of the way, so if you have a board name after a current player, plan on changing it. ;)

Guest Masters

I don't think the roster overhaul will be as large as you might think. The D certainly with philosophy change, but the O, regardless of the philosophy, wouldn't have as many changes on the roster.

Whenever you have a coaching and GM change at the same time, everything you think you know about the team needs to be thrown out the window,

The guys you think that are probably safe, are probably gone, minus a few, and the guys you think are gone, probably are.

Two years from now, this roster is going to be purged about 75% of the way, so if you have a board name after a current player, plan on changing it. ;)

As usual Ballpeen you understand things and as usual this Brownstown will go in denial objecting to reality

Not many changes on offense? This group couldn't score a TD in 6 straight games and was shut out twice in a row. Not only will they get rid of key people, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded proven commodities (like Brady) if they thought they could get more talent in return.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of that sort of trade, it just sounds like something an incompetent organization would do.

Guest Masters
Not many changes on offense? This group couldn't score a TD in 6 straight games and was shut out twice in a row. Not only will they get rid of key people, I wouldn't be surprised if they traded proven commodities (like Brady) if they thought they could get more talent in return.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of that sort of trade, it just sounds like something an incompetent organization would do.

That is an O down to it's 3rd and 4th string QBs, on a team that quit weeks ago. Also, almost the exact same personal that was in the top 5 in scoring the year before.

If I had to throw guesses, I'd say on O the changes would be 2 starting linemen, 1 of the WR, 1 of the TE, 1 of the RBs. As far as guys you see regularly. So that is maybe 5 starters/regular players.

On D, that could be a for sure 6-7 guys who play most of the snaps, especially if they change from a 3-4 to a 4-3.

Guest Aloysius

Savage getting the boot makes it more likely that Winslow will stay & that developmental guys like Hubbard will get discarded.

On defense, Wimbley will have to earn his spot. I wouldn't be surprised if Hall is allowed to challenge him for the ROLB spot.

And it should be very interesting to see what the new coaching staff thinks of our DB's: specifically, whether McDonald's a starting CB & whether Sean Jones is worth keeping.

re: brandon mcdonald being worth of a starting spot: nnamdi asomugha cleaned out his locker after the raiders' last practice. he doesn't want to be back there, and i don't know if there's any way they can keep him.

if they franchise him again, we definitely won't match it and give up a first and a third (esp. b/c we don't have a third), but i could see a scenario where we either trade for him or simply sign him through free agency in the unlikely event that the raiders simply let him go.

man, hubbard was an absolutly godawful pick. what a waste.

re: brandon mcdonald being worth of a starting spot: nnamdi asomugha cleaned out his locker after the raiders' last practice. he doesn't want to be back there, and i don't know if there's any way they can keep him.

if they franchise him again, we definitely won't match it and give up a first and a third (esp. b/c we don't have a third), but i could see a scenario where we either trade for him or simply sign him through free agency in the unlikely event that the raiders simply let him go.

man, hubbard was an absolutly godawful pick. what a waste.

You can't franchise a guy two years running. He's an UFA. They keep him by outbidding everyone else, but the price tag for top corners is nearing that of top qbs.

No way will a GM and coach come in here and clean house. Maybe if we were the detriot lions and had nothing to build on build one player.

But for us, we have a solid core of guys already. Im in favor of switching to the 4-3 D and allowing Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers to dominate o lines. Obviously we need to to find some DEs, and with Shaun Smith no doubt being gone after his little doing. We have the #5 pick which could be used to pick one of our DE for the future and maybe allowing Wimbley to test the position for a year and if he fails trade him off.

There is no chance that they rebuild - but they will infact remodel.

But why wouldn't this team need a remodeling? We missed out on the playoffs in 2007 because of games we should have won on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side of the ball. Lack of integrity? Maybe. Lack of teamwork? Maybe. Do we have talented roster spots, yes - are they being used wrong - yes.

When you have a D-Line centered around Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers, a 4-3 is an absolute necesity. So maybe we will finally have the personell to realize this. We do not have a backfield - we cannot get it done with Jones, McDondald and are other injury proned Dbacks.

As for our offense. On paper, we could have one of the best offenses in the National Football League. But because of injuries this year, and attitudes, and improper coaching - we were a laughing stock. Yes, add a running back - a young, fast, agile running back that can take away from the pressures of our QB. Don't change BQ. Why change BQ? Did he not show you enough poise in what should have been his 2 out of 3 victories this year? Find the personell that can instill the confidence back in Braylon Edwards. Joe J coming back next year, will help out the offensive unit tremendously, and not just from a playing standpoint - he is our ONE true leader. His slots will open more room for Donte "Does anyone know I'm here" Stallworth, as a great 3rd WR. This will put less pressure on BE, in turn making our offense more confident and less troublesome.

We didn't score an offensive TD in 6 weeks so I would understand the lack of allegiance. We're ancient at Center, and the right side of the oline is overpaid and underproductive. Lewis is done. Winslow has had 1 knee surgery and staph infection too many to get seperation. We're more of a mess on ofeense than people realize. Thomas, Steinbach, Quinn and HOPEFULLY Edwards are the core pieces. Harrison SHOULD be our 3rd down back so we just need a credible workhorse ahead of him.

Defensively we could use a boost at LBer due to age, injury and disappointment. We need depth at corner and playmakers at Safety like the teams that GET it in our division have. An outside pass rush never materialized so we need that too.

When people SAW Atlanta giving team cancer DeAngelo Hall his walking papers they were like "Atlanta is gonna suck." Guess what? Worst to 11 wins. Addition by subtraction works when the right people are doing it. Never thought I'd agree to those that wanted to trade Winslow but his NAME could bring us a party to celebrate on draft day. His upside is over. I'm looking forward to chnages because the crap we witnessed in 2008 was rock bottom and I disagree were very talented when I saw us without a WR to throw the ball to and Jamal being our other weapon of choice.

- Tom F.

Archived