THE BROWNS BOARD

This Team Needs Speed

Sony Reed

Now that the RAC era has come to a end, I would hope the new GM and coach look at film of this team and see the BIGGEST NEED is SPEED on this team on both sides of the ball.

We have all seen the lack of a pass rush on defense and blitzers not getting near the QB and on offense no players stretching the field and it all comes down to team speed.

On defense we have 2 fat tackles playing DE in the 3-4 RAC was running, we have to get more athletic at the DE position if we are going to play the 3-4 also we have no speed at outside linebacker and people question why our safties play so deep the reason is we have 2 safties in Pool and Jones with average speed and quickness and though McDonald may make a good nickle back he does not have the top end speed to be a starting CB. Take a close look at the Steelers, Ravens and Titans defense and what stands out is the speed and quickness or the linebackers, safties and defensive ends.

On offense Lewis has good straight ahead speed but he can't get to the edge and Edwards is not a burner at wide receiver and the only receiver we have with great speed is Donte Stallworth who after he was healthy for some reason we failed to utilize and of course we did not utilize Harrison or Cribbs.

Part of the problem with the offensive line is also due to lack of quickness on the right side of the line and the center position

So in free agency and the draft we have to look for speed at DE, LB, S, RB and WR.

Now I know many people want us to draft a linebacker with our 1st pick but IMO we need to draft the one player who I feel will make the biggest difference on our team next season which would be Chris Wells (OSU), the Browns have already passed on Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson so lets hope we don't make that mistake again, a back like Wells who will touch the ball 20+ times a game will benefit this team more than any defensive player we can select and just take a look at what Micheal Turner did for the Falcons this year he made Matt Ryan a much better qb with his running and Wells would do the same thing for Brady Quinn with his speed and power. I keep hearing people say you can get a running back in the later rounds but premier running backs like franchise Qb's you find early in round 1 and Wells is the type of running back IMO who can do what Adrian Peterson did for the Vikings and add speed to this offense, this team has lacked a premier running back since its return.

Guest Aloysius
Now I know many people want us to draft a linebacker with our 1st pick but IMO we need to draft the one player who I feel will make the biggest difference on our team next season which would be Chris Wells (OSU), the Browns have already passed on Tomlinson and Adrian Peterson so lets hope we don't make that mistake again, a back like Wells who will touch the ball 20+ times a game will benefit this team more than any defensive player we can select and just take a look at what Micheal Turner did for the Falcons this year he made Matt Ryan a much better qb with his running and Wells would do the same thing for Brady Quinn with his speed and power. I keep hearing people say you can get a running back in the later rounds but premier running backs like franchise Qb's you find early in round 1 and Wells is the type of running back IMO who can do what Adrian Peterson did for the Vikings and add speed to this offense, this team has lacked a premier running back since its return.

In the 2005 draft, the following backs were taken early in Round 1:

• Ronnie Brown (1.02)
  • Cedric Benson (1.04)
  • Cadillac Williams (1.05)
And the following backs were drafted in Round 4:

• Marion Barber (4.08)
  • Brandon Jacobs (4.09)
  • Darren Sproles (4.29)
Which three would you take?

Also, it's a bit ironic to use Turner as a example for why it's important to draft a RB in Round 1; Turner was drafted late in the 5th Round of the '04 draft.

Guest Aloysius
I gave you a thanks for the post, Alo, because it's a good point, even though I'm inwardly thinking about jumping off a bridge in anticipation of the inevitable "You CAN'T take a [insert position here] at [insert draft slot here]" wars.

Ha. Thanks, Dennis.

In the 2005 draft, the following backs were taken early in Round 1:

• Ronnie Brown (1.02)
  • Cedric Benson (1.04)
  • Cadillac Williams (1.05)
And the following backs were drafted in Round 4:

• Marion Barber (4.08)
  • Brandon Jacobs (4.09)
  • Darren Sproles (4.29)
Which three would you take?

Also, it's a bit ironic to use Turner as a example for why it's important to draft a RB in Round 1; Turner was drafted late in the 5th Round of the '04 draft.

The point is what Micheal turner meant to Matt Ryan not what round he was drafted in

For every Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs taken in a 4th round I can point to premier backs taken in round 1 which has made a huge impact on there teams.

Are you going to tell me you would not want a Adrian Peterson, Ladanlian Tomlinson who are the premier backs in the game today, just look at the teams in the playoffs Joseph Addi-1st round, Chris Johnson-1st round, Tomlinson-1st round, Ronnie Brown-1st round, D'Angelo Williams-1st round, Adrian Peterson-1st round, sure you can find good running backs in the later rounds but in Wells I am talking about a special back a guy that will be a difference maker and a threat everytime he touches the ball who would also open up the passing game for Brady Quinn, just look how Michael Turner made things much easier for Matt Ryan.

What 2 players touch the ball most in any game your QB and Rb now tell me how many impact plays is a linebacker going to make each game? a premier running back is more important than a linebacker who may get you 10+ sacks, when Wimbley had is great rookie season how much impact did he have on the Browns that season? a running back touching the ball 20+ times has a far greater impact on the game, do you think any linebacker could have the impact on the Vikings Peterson has everytime he touches the ball he is a threat to score and Wells IMO is the same type of back.

Just look at the Panthers this year with D'Angelo Williams and how much he made a impact on that offense and opened up things for Steve Smith and others.

We already passed Tomlinson and Peterson do we want to make that mistake 3 times now?

In Cleveland in November and December and if we ever get to the playoffs you need that premier running back and this roster does not have that type of back and please don't tell me Jerome Harrison could be that player.

We have Brady Quinn now lets give him a outstanding RB and we have Thomas and Steinbach on the left side, so lets upgrade right guard, right tackle and center and add a premier running back and see what a difference this team looks like and then lets have a offensive coordinator who make a commitment to run the ball and send Chud the Dud out the door.

Guest Aloysius

If I thought Beanie Wells was the next Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson, I'd be more comfortable using the 5th pick of the draft on him.

But I don't. I'm not sure many of the Beanie fans here would even say he's on that level.

And I'm not surprised that you were able to find Round 1 RB's who are very good; I'd just ask that you not exclude guys drafted from Round 2 on.

Of the top 10 rushers this season, only 5 were picked in the 1st Round. And only one of those (Tomlinson) was taken with a top 5 pick.

That should tell you something.

It's easy to pull a name out of a hat and say.. Oh, it's easy to get a runningback later..but look at the top 8 rushers from this year..

1 Adrian Peterson 1st round

2 Michael Turner ATL 5th

3 Clinton Portis WAS 1st round

4 DeAngelo Williams CAR 1st round

5 Thomas Jones NYJ 2nd round

6 Chris Johnson TEN 1st round

7 Steve Slaton HOU 3rd round

8 Matt Forte 2nd round

As you see there are 4 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounds 1 3rd rounder and Michael turner... It pays to get high picks at RB

We cannot afford to fool around with a late pick and hope we get a sleeper or the dreaded "value pick" .. we MUST get a back in the first or second round this year..there are 3-4 good backs out there who can be real studs...

It's easy to pull a name out of a hat and say.. Oh, it's easy to get a runningback later..but look at the top 8 rushers from this year..

1 Adrian Peterson 1st round

2 Michael Turner ATL 5th

3 Clinton Portis WAS 1st round

4 DeAngelo Williams CAR 1st round

5 Thomas Jones NYJ 2nd round

6 Chris Johnson TEN 1st round

7 Steve Slaton HOU 3rd round

8 Matt Forte 2nd round

As you see there are 4 1st rounders, 2 2nd rounds 1 3rd rounder and Michael turner... It pays to get high picks at RB

We cannot afford to fool around with a late pick and hope we get a sleeper or the dreaded "value pick" .. we MUST get a back in the first or second round this year..there are 3-4 good backs out there who can be real studs...

im still stuck on Curry in roud 1 and Greene in round 2....that fixes two huge issues...though i wonder if they could trade down from 5 and still get REY and fill in the holes savage traded away (round 3 and 5)

this is a pretty weak draft for RBs. aside from wells and moreno, there really aren't a lot of backs that people think are studs.

i like shonn greene more than either of them, though. he's perfect for running a RBBC with someone like harrison and a yet-unnamed third back.

If I thought Beanie Wells was the next Adrian Peterson or LaDainian Tomlinson, I'd be more comfortable using the 5th pick of the draft on him.

But I don't. I'm not sure many of the Beanie fans here would even say he's on that level.

And I'm not surprised that you were able to find Round 1 RB's who are very good; I'd just ask that you not exclude guys drafted from Round 2 on.

Of the top 10 rushers this season, only 5 were picked in the 1st Round. And only one of those (Tomlinson) was taken with a top 5 pick.

That should tell you something.

I am sure if the Browns bypass Wells the Bengals with grab him then we will watch Wells run crazy against the Browns for the next 5-7 years

Do you really believe taking a inside linebacker with a top 5 pick or a outside linebacker unless the guy is a terrific pass rusher with a pick that high worth it? you can find more linebackers dominant taken in later rounds than running backs.

As good as I feel Rey Rey will be I would take him before Curry based on his big play ability, I feel Curry will be a good linebacker but not a guy with 12-15 sacks each year but a good steady linebacker, with the 5th pick in the draft we don't need a very good player we need a GREAT PLAYER who will be a PLAYMAKER and make game changing plays a guy that will be a SUPERSTAR, thats what this team lacks more than anything a player that is a difference maker.

IMO Chris Wells will be a SUPERSTAR RUNNING BACK

Guest Aloysius

We can't draft guys for the purpose of keeping them away from the Bengals. If we did that, we'd be drafting criminals in every round.

As for Curry, I don't think he'll be a 12-15 sack guy. Nor will Maualuga notch that many sacks.

Both are ILB's in a 3-4 scheme, though Curry possesses the versatility to play inside or outside in virtually any defensive scheme.

I think Curry will be the better linebacker, and I worry about giving Maualuga top 5 money.

Maualuga's had character/motivation issues in the past. Whatever team drafts him will have to keep him hungry, and it'll be hard to do so if you give him so much money that he doesn't have to care about earning a second contract.

instead of taking one draft expert's evaluation, if you look at what a bunch of different people are saying about wells and curry, wells get mixed reviews while curry's are largely positive.

while wells has the potential to be a superstar, curry looks like a safer pick, and when you're drafting in the top five and giving someone twenty million guaranteed dollars, you have to sometimes take a player who's a safer bet than someone who could be a superstar but also could flop.

also, it's disturbing to me that people are questioning wells' toughness. that's something that can't be coached and that great players, especially at RB and LB, have to have. if he's not über-tough, there's no way for a RB to succeed.

The point is what Micheal turner meant to Matt Ryan not what round he was drafted in

For every Marion Barber, Brandon Jacobs taken in a 4th round I can point to premier backs taken in round 1 which has made a huge impact on there teams.

Are you going to tell me you would not want a Adrian Peterson, Ladanlian Tomlinson who are the premier backs in the game today, just look at the teams in the playoffs Joseph Addi-1st round, Chris Johnson-1st round, Tomlinson-1st round, Ronnie Brown-1st round, D'Angelo Williams-1st round, Adrian Peterson-1st round, sure you can find good running backs in the later rounds but in Wells I am talking about a special back a guy that will be a difference maker and a threat everytime he touches the ball who would also open up the passing game for Brady Quinn, just look how Michael Turner made things much easier for Matt Ryan.

What 2 players touch the ball most in any game your QB and Rb now tell me how many impact plays is a linebacker going to make each game? a premier running back is more important than a linebacker who may get you 10+ sacks, when Wimbley had is great rookie season how much impact did he have on the Browns that season? a running back touching the ball 20+ times has a far greater impact on the game, do you think any linebacker could have the impact on the Vikings Peterson has everytime he touches the ball he is a threat to score and Wells IMO is the same type of back.

Just look at the Panthers this year with D'Angelo Williams and how much he made a impact on that offense and opened up things for Steve Smith and others.

We already passed Tomlinson and Peterson do we want to make that mistake 3 times now?

In Cleveland in November and December and if we ever get to the playoffs you need that premier running back and this roster does not have that type of back and please don't tell me Jerome Harrison could be that player.

We have Brady Quinn now lets give him a outstanding RB and we have Thomas and Steinbach on the left side, so lets upgrade right guard, right tackle and center and add a premier running back and see what a difference this team looks like and then lets have a offensive coordinator who make a commitment to run the ball and send Chud the Dud out the door.

Sony it is nice to see one who gets it. Your posts are always insightful and knowledgeable present sound judgment of making a winner. The second most important position in football after a Franchise QB is a premier Running Back. That has been proven over and over. And the best of the best nearly come in high round one picks. It is amusing that some folks think the Oline makes a back vs a great back making a line full of pro bowlers not vice versa.

And team speed is a huge issue for the Browns....and needs addressed.....especially on D

The Browns premier need is a game breaker RB............if that guy is there when they pick and will be gone when the pick in round two ..he should be the guy. Wells, is a good candidate but there are others as well.

Those that think Carolina's offensive line is making DeAngelo Williams the stud he is or Minny's line making Peterson the stud he is are beyond hope as to what makes winning football.

Of course I was the guy who wanted to draft Larry Johnson who we passed on, then DeAngelo Williams who we passed on, the Adrian Peterson who we passed on......all the while passing on winning games

Your views are always refreshing........

Sony it is nice to see one who gets it. Your posts are always insightful and knowledgeable present sound judgment of making a winner. The second most important position in football after a Franchise QB is a premier Running Back. That has been proven over and over. And the best of the best nearly come in high round one picks. It is amusing that some folks think the Oline makes a back vs a great back making a line full of pro bowlers not vice versa.

And team speed is a huge issue for the Browns....and needs addressed.....especially on D

The Browns premier need is a game breaker RB............if that guy is there when they pick and will be gone when the pick in round two ..he should be the guy. Wells, is a good candidate but there are others as well.

Those that think Carolina's offensive line is making DeAngelo Williams the stud he is or Minny's line making Peterson the stud he is are beyond hope as to what makes winning football.

Of course I was the guy who wanted to draft Larry Johnson who we passed on, then DeAngelo Williams who we passed on, the Adrian Peterson who we passed on......all the while passing on winning games

Your views are always refreshing........

Thanks Rich, its too bad that most fans don't really understand how to put a winning team on the field, a running back who touches the ball 20+ times a game and can take it to the house everytime he touches the ball is more important than a linebacker who on his best day may have 7-8 tackles and 2 sacks.

We all saw after we lost our quarterbacks how pathetic this offense was with the 50 million dollar offensive line and a washed up running back and we go 6 games without a touchdown and these people think a linebacker will help more than a running back, I guess they forget if you can't score you can't win. these same people who want to make excuses because we lost our top 2 qb's forget that the Chiefs lost there top 2 quarterbacks but they did not go 6 games without scoring a touchdown, if you don't have a decent offense you won't win in this league unless you have a defense like the Steelers, Ravens and Titans.

So lets give the fans what they want and we will draft a linebacker and lose 17-10 because we can't score

Brady Quinn will need help and though I was high on Brady from what I saw in his 3 starts it kinda reminded me of watching a rewind of the dink and dunk of Charlie Frye, I was not impressed

I'm not so sure we need to draft a RB. I am still really high on Jerome Harrison and his YPC 7.2 proves that this kid can be a game changer. It was RAC's unwillingness to play the young guy in favor of Lewis that kept the lid on him having a breakout season.

I mean they give the kid a carry and he only gets 4 yards so they send his ass back to the bench. We need to utilize the young guys we do have.

However on the defensive side of the ball we need speed, we need LBers. I wouldn't mind us spending draft picks on nothing but LBers this year because that's our biggest need. That and a true pass rush DE.

Dude, get a clue are you serious? Jerome Harrison is not a every down NFL back

Also DE'S are not pass rushers in a 3-4 they are there to take on blockers, pass rush comes from outside linebackers in a 3-4. this team needs linebackers but not with a top 5 pick

5th pick in draft should be a guy that starts from day 1 and is a impact player

Dude, get a clue are you serious? Jerome Harrison is not a every down NFL back

Also DE'S are not pass rushers in a 3-4 they are there to take on blockers, pass rush comes from outside linebackers in a 3-4. this team needs linebackers but not with a top 5 pick

5th pick in draft should be a guy that starts from day 1 and is a impact player

I agree that DE's in the 3-4 are to take on blockers...but the problem with our DE's is they are DT's and are not fast enough side-to-side to keep the OT's off of our OLB's. We actually need 2 solid DE's either through FA or the Draft.

As for the RB situation, I agree if we had an AP coming out this year I would snap him up. But Wells isn't that type of back. He has speed, but not BREAKAWAY speed. Also, he has only caught 7 passes in two years. Not exactly a threat to catch a screen.

Turning to Harrison, what exactly is the REASON he isn't an every down back? He is the EXACT same size as Steve Slaton (5'9", 205) who carried the ball 268 times for 1,282 yds and 9 TD's...with 13 20+ yd carries and 5 for over 40 yds. That is not even to mention Chris Johnson at 5'11", 200. He was 8th in the league and is arguable skinnier than Harrison.

Anyway, do you also realize that only 1 RB in the top 10 is as big as Wells? Just ONE! Eight of the other 9 are 221 or less, and 6 out of 10 weigh less than 217. Big backs are NOT the norm anymore guys.

We need to rush the passer better. Can't say that Wimbley (he's had 11 sacks), Williams (he's had 7 twice), or Hall (4 in first half of the season) couldn't do that, though, because they have.

My roundabout point is that it might be coaching and scheme. Why in the world an athlete like Wimbley couldn't get around the edge, I'll never know.

I have addressed this ad nauseum. Our DE's (with R.Smith out and C.Williams learning the position and injured all season) are basically DT's. They lacked the side to side speed/quickness to seal the OT's and keep them off of our OLB's. In the 3-4, it is the DE's job to make the OT's pinch in and at least 'chip' them so the OLB's are free to rush against TE's and RB's. This just didn't happen.

Wimbley in particular was effected because he was up against the LT...the best pass blocker on the opposing line...on every play. Without help from the DE, he was outmatched. If we can get a true DE, I see Wimbley having a breakout season next year.

As for Hall...he was fine on the pass rush...but he was out of position against the run all the time...which is why he didn't see the field more. He will learn and should be fine next year.

Even so, I think a guy like Curry, who can move inside to outside, will give our defense that element of unpredictability that we lack...and give us the pass rush on the inside as well....forcing the OT's to pinch down...and free up the OLB's as well...and can work on stunts with Wimbley so you never know where Wimbley is coming from.

Archived