THE BROWNS BOARD

This is the problem with the Cleveland Browns

Captain Cheesedick

Here is the problem, as I see it, with the Browns. And it is NOT going to get better soon.

We constantly compare our team with other successful teams. "How do they do it?" we ask. The Patriots? The Steelers? The Eagles? These teams always seem to have a good, or very good team year after year. And here is why.

Their owners love football. Their owners know football. Our owner does not love, or know football. (he's not a bad guy, but it's (admittedly) not him.)

Let's look at the Steelers for example.

When the Steelers need to hire a coach, the coach does not bring in a new philosophy. The new coach accepts the fact that the Steelers play a certain type of football. And he either agrees with it, or doesn't get the job. They don't come in and put their stamp on the team. They draft for a certain type of football. They teach a certain type of football. They believe they can do well playing a certain way. Years of drafting have gone into developing a type of play. A continuity is established. They have an identity. That is how they do it.

Now, as Learner selects who is going to run this team, he does not seem to have a direction in mind. He wants to get a winner. Someone who has done it before. But HE needs to know what will win before he hires these people.

Just my two cents. I know when I said the Browns would not do well this past summer, i was told I was wrong. When I said P.S. is not doing a great job, i was told I'm not a true Browns fan. When I questioned the fact that in July someone said it was "official" that the Browns had the best offensive line in pro football, I was told to quit posting if I didn't know what i was talking about.

Opinions?

Guest Ghoolie
Here is the problem, as I see it, with the Browns. And it is NOT going to get better soon.

We constantly compare our team with other successful teams. "How do they do it?" we ask. The Patriots? The Steelers? The Eagles? These teams always seem to have a good, or very good team year after year. And here is why.

Their owners love football. Their owners know football. Our owner does not love, or know football. (he's not a bad guy, but it's (admittedly) not him.)

Let's look at the Steelers for example.

When the Steelers need to hire a coach, the coach does not bring in a new philosophy. The new coach accepts the fact that the Steelers play a certain type of football. And he either agrees with it, or doesn't get the job. They don't come in and put their stamp on the team. They draft for a certain type of football. They teach a certain type of football. They believe they can do well playing a certain way. Years of drafting have gone into developing a type of play. A continuity is established. They have an identity. That is how they do it.

Now, as Learner selects who is going to run this team, he does not seem to have a direction in mind. He wants to get a winner. Someone who has done it before. But HE needs to know what will win before he hires these people.

Just my two cents. I know when I said the Browns would not do well this past summer, i was told I was wrong. When I said P.S. is not doing a great job, i was told I'm not a true Browns fan. When I questioned the fact that in July someone said it was "official" that the Browns had the best offensive line in pro football, I was told to quit posting if I didn't know what i was talking about.

Opinions?

Excellent post. Rich and I have said this for years. Unfortunately Browns fans have become dumb asses. It wasn't long ago this board was a circle jerk for the idea of Dilfer mentoring Frye.

Wouldn't you think it was even more worthless if Lerner suddenly came up with some kind of philosophy right now and then narrowed down his search to even less viable candidates?

Play good defense and run the ball is basically what every team wants to do.

The fact is that the solid teams do it year after year.

Pretty much the only teams that still want to win via the air are 1. Arizona and 2. Wherever Martz is.

Archived