THE BROWNS BOARD

Cowher to the Jets ... NOT

Fan Of STEEL 1

Just heard it on ESPN that Cowher and the Jets came to an agreement and he will be their next head coach. They did not name their sources but said that the Jets offered Cowher anything he wanted.

EDIT: This was a Bullshit post by obviously an uninformed poster. Please refrain from posting without any substance to back-up your claim. It's third-class fans such as this that leave Pittsburgh Steeler forums among the most uneducated.

Something interesting about Cowher. . . during his coaching career, when he had Dick LeBeau as his DC, he had a winning percentage of .679, and his Defensive Rankings averaged 4.6 (8 seasons). When he did NOT have Dick LeBeau (7 seasons), his winning percentage was .553, and the Defensive rankings averaged 7.57. With Dick LeBeau, they had a top 5 Defense 6 out of 8 times. Without him, only 1 out of 7. While certainly not terrible, it's a significant drop-off from seasons with LeBeau running the Defense.

During Cowher's time from 92 - 06, the team had a 'losing' record only 3 times. All three came when Dick LeBeau was NOT on the staff. His worst record with Dick LeBeau was in 06 at 8-8.

So. . . I'm wondering how he would do with a new organization and a different DC.

What does this say about the Browns as an organization, if Cowher takes the Jets job. Lerner was ready to give Cowher what ever he wanted. It's a shame that we can't land probably the top coaching prospect.

Cowher isn't coaching anywhere, it's all smoke and mirrors. This report is media driven. The only thing Cowher said is that he would be willing to talk to the Jets when he was in town with CBS next week. It's about not burning bridges and showing respect, like he did with Lerner.

I think Cleveland would be a great market to be in. I'm not saying anything derogatory about the team or Cleveland at all. My question is, and don't think past what the point is... Regardless of who the top coach prospect out there is... Cowher, Parcels, Marty... It's doesn't matter who that person is ... THe point is, why would the number one coaching prospect be handed everything on a silver platter and turn us down, say that he is comfortable with where he is in his lifestyle, and then consider going to the Jets. That's the point of the question.

I'm past Cowher now.. it's done.. Not coming. There will be a tomorrow, there will be more games to play. We have to move on. I'm just a little concerned about our image on the outside looking in.

Cowher isn't coaching anywhere, it's all smoke and mirrors. This report is media driven. The only thing Cowher said is that he would be willing to talk to the Jets when he was in town with CBS next week. It's about not burning bridges and showing respect, like he did with Lerner.

I think you are right. Maybe Cowher is just playing the field... Who knows.. Maybe he's an attention whore... Like seeing his name everywhere...

How is the organization viewed on the outside if Cowher turns us down and take the job with the Jets?

Really, who cares?

If Cowher politely turned Lerner down, said he wasn't going to coach in 2009, and then takes the Jets job (or some other team's HC job)- it doesn't mean a darn thing. Maybe the Jets job is his dream job. Maybe he wants to live in NY. Maybe he doesn't want to coach here and didn't want to be blunt.

Folks, let's not be too full of ourselves. Cowher can pretty much coach where he wants, and this isn't necessarily a dream destination.

Cowher is still my personal top choice (and Deiken said a few times yesterday that the door is still cracked open), but the chances are less than slim and we need to turn the page.

The only scenario that would piss me off is if Marvin Lewis got fired and Cowher took the Bengals job. Cowher has the credentials to coach wherever he wants.

What does this say about the Browns as an organization, if Cowher takes the Jets job. Lerner was ready to give Cowher what ever he wanted. It's a shame that we can't land probably the top coaching prospect.

Let's not jump to conclusions. As far as I know, Cowher has not committed to anything with the Jets.

#1 I believe he is very loyal to the Rooney family and, despite the ton of money laid at his feet by Lerner, he would be hard pressed to compete against the Steelers twice a year. IMHO.

#2 Cowher has one daughter living in NY and another going to school at Princeton. He COULD live in or near Princeton and still coach the Jets.

Just a couple of rambling thoughts................

Thats a good question Fooleze. I was hoping to see him in Cleveland. I liked him as a coach for many years but tired of him later in his career. He only finally won a Superbowl when in the playoffs he let go of his turtling the games away and let the offense open it up.

Yeah, not to mention the help in the Super Bowl. Cannot leave that one off the plate.

This whole Cowher / Jets thing is BS.

It's fuel for controversy.

Leave it alone, pay no further respect to this issue, it doesn't deserve the time.

Read any NFL press of recent, Cowher is coaching no where and even if he was, there is nothing saying he is headed to NY.

Jump into the therads about Pioli and his rejime, THAT is very real and relates to Cleveland.

Don't allow this to be a Cowher Forum, it's a Browns forum.

This whole Cowher / Jets thing is BS.

It's fuel for controversy.

Leave it alone, pay no further respect to this issue, it doesn't deserve the time.

Read any NFL press of recent, Cowher is coaching no where and even if he was, there is nothing saying he is headed to NY.

Jump into the therads about Pioli and his rejime, THAT is very real and relates to Cleveland.

Don't allow this to be a Cowher Forum, it's a Browns forum.

LOL, yeah when they offer to give Cowher 10 million a year to coach and give him complete control, he will sign. He has stated all along he wants to wait until 2010 to coach, but nobody expected the Jets to have an opening at this time. If he is talking to them, there is a good chance he will sign with them.

Archived