THE BROWNS BOARD

Mock Draft

franchisedotcom

I have the Browns selecting in the first round:

Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

"If the Chiefs select Curry, Cleveland will alternatively choose DE. The Browns sack leader put up a mere 4 sacks and the Browns overall accumulated 22 sacks in 2008. However, Curry is too talented and will help the entire Browns defense including the defensive line."

to see the rest of my mock, please visit: draftking.blogspot.com

sorry if this is spam, but that's why I entered your teams pick here

Guest Aloysius

Nice mock.

A few things:

• Don't think KC takes Monroe. Branden Albert played well this year, and Monroe's not dominant enough a run-blocker to warrant drafting him this high to play RT. It'd be nice to bring Monroe & Albert together again on the left side, but it wouldn't be the best use of KC's resources.

• Rey to the Raiders is interesting - would he play strongside linebacker for them? Don't think there's any way Alex Mack is a top 10 pick, btw.

• Not sure Laurinaitis is a good fit for the Chargers. They've already got a good Mike (Stephen Cooper), and word is they're grooming Brandon Siler for the other spot. Little Animal's also a poor scheme fit.

• Like the Jerry to Tampa pick - that one makes a lot of sense.

• Davis and Jenkins are top 10 guys; no way both of them slide to the bottom of Round 1.

Guest Aloysius

Belichick & Pioli put a premium on smart, high character players, especially at the LB position.

And I'm not sure Rey Rey fits the part. Not because he's a bad guy, but because he's got the kinds of red flags that make you wonder whether he'll be motivated once he receives top 5 money.

And if you've got a Belichick D in which the linebackers are supposed to play smart & maintain gap integrity, Maualuga's uber-agressive style may lead to us getting gashed up the middle.

Maualuga is about 15 steps slower than Ray Lewis isn't he? I don't see the comparison, and I don't see Maualuga doing anything in the NFL.

Nice mock.

A few things:

• Don't think KC takes Monroe. Branden Albert played well this year, and Monroe's not dominant enough a run-blocker to warrant drafting him this high to play RT. It'd be nice to bring Monroe & Albert together again on the left side, but it wouldn't be the best use of KC's resources.

• Rey to the Raiders is interesting - would he play strongside linebacker for them? Don't think there's any way Alex Mack is a top 10 pick, btw.

• Not sure Laurinaitis is a good fit for the Chargers. They've already got a good Mike (Stephen Cooper), and word is they're grooming Brandon Siler for the other spot. Little Animal's also a poor scheme fit.

• Like the Jerry to Tampa pick - that one makes a lot of sense.

• Davis and Jenkins are top 10 guys; no way both of them slide to the bottom of Round 1.

Davis' draft stock is hurting a bit because of him not playing this season. I agree that Jenkins is top 10 but not Davis. But who would Jenkins go to? The Jaguars? The Jags are in need of O-Line help big time, but with the top 4 tackles gone they will wait until round 2 to address that position with the second crop of tackles.

Guest Aloysius

I'm not sure what you mean by saying Vontae Davis didn't play this season. I watched him play about a month ago; maybe you've got him confused with somebody else.

EDIT: My mistake: you meant that he's been benched during some games, which has happened. But Davis has always been more of a raw potential prospect: he's 6'0", 200 lbs. & is said to run a 40 in the mid-4.3's.

As for Jenkins, he could go as high as #4 to Seattle, and I don't think he gets past Denver at pick #12. Both of their starting corners are 30+, and their pass defense was ranked 26th this year. Jenkins may also be able to play FS for them, moving down to corner when Bailey or Bly is replaced.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying Vontae Davis didn't play this season. I watched him play about a month ago; maybe you've got him confused with somebody else.

EDIT: My mistake: you meant that he's been benched during some games, which has happened. But Davis has always been more of a raw potential prospect: he's 6'0", 200 lbs. & is said to run a 40 in the mid-4.3's.

As for Jenkins, he could go as high as #4 to Seattle, and I don't think he gets past Denver at pick #12. Both of their starting corners are 30+, and their pass defense was ranked 26th this year. Jenkins may also be able to play FS for them, moving down to corner when Bailey or Bly is replaced.

Champ Bailey is still the Champ, (maybe second to Nnamdi Asomugha) but RB is a big need for the Broncos. The Broncos will probably take a shot at Bills' CB Jabari Greer if he isn't resigned by the Bills.

RB is a big need for the Broncos.

True, but as long as the Broncos keep running that one-cut zone blocking scheme (Shanahan or no Shanahan), they won't be burning a high pick on a RB.

I could see Curtis Brinkley succeeding there. :)

Guest Aloysius

What mz the pussy said about the Broncos taking a running back.

It's actually very hard to project the Broncos' needs on D. As you said, they may sign the CB they need in free agency.

Also, there's more than a slight chance that their new GM & coach will switch to a 3-4. If I'm not mistaken, they experimented with a 3-4 earlier this season, but they didn't have the personnel to run it effectively. Still, it's probably their best option for getting something out of Jarvis Moss & Tim Crowder.

If they switch schemes, they could go for a NT like B.J. Raji or a 3-4 ILB like Maualuga or Spikes.

What mz the pussy said about the Broncos taking a running back.

It's actually very hard to project the Broncos' needs on D. As you said, they may sign the CB they need in free agency.

Also, there's more than a slight chance that their new GM & coach will switch to a 3-4. If I'm not mistaken, they experimented with a 3-4 earlier this season, but they didn't have the personnel to run it effectively. Still, it's probably their best option for getting something out of Jarvis Moss & Tim Crowder.

If the switch schemes, they could go for a NT like B.J. Raji or a 3-4 ILB like Maualuga or Spikes.

I don't see Rey Maualuga dropping past 11th. Spikes at 12 may be a little high, and if the right NT is there (Rahji) then maybe it's a go.

Then they could pick up Javon Ringer later on.

Then they could pick up Javon Ringer later on.

Perfect RB for them, right?

That Denver team is a team with a ton of needs. Better record this year notwithstanding, Shanahan would be improving his situation by coming here.

Maualuga is about 15 steps slower than Ray Lewis isn't he?

Actually the PREDRAFT comments look the same. Ray Lewis ran disappointing 40s so NOBODY early in rd 1 felt the FILM was worth anything. Does anyone player faster or more instinctive than Lewis? I'm gonna say no with confidence. Lewis might be the best 26th overall pick EVER. Just TRUST what you see with Rey. When Ohio State played USC which LBer made the BIG plays Rey or Lauranitis? I seem to recall Rey returning an INT about 60 yards for a score. Ohio State didn't think he was slow.

I can't wait to see the Rose Bowl's LBer Fest 2009.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

It wasn't just the bad 40 time that damaged Lewis's draft stock; it was that he was only 6', 230 lbs. when he ran that 40. Scouts thought he was slow and undersized and downgraded him accordingly.

That's why Savage compared D'Qwell to Ray Lewis after the '06 draft: both saw their draft stocks drop due to poor measurables, and both (said Savage) play bigger & faster than those numbers would indicate.

Also, you have to consider the possibility that some teams may have taken Ray off their boards because of character concerns. And those scouts & GM's weren't exactly being foolish: after all, Lewis came very close to having an abrupt Vick-like end to his career.

If that had happened, we'd now be comparing the Lewis pick to when we drafted Jeremiah Pharms, not dissing the 24 teams that passed on him.

It wasn't just the bad 40 time that damaged Lewis's draft stock; it was that he was only 6', 230 lbs. when he ran that 40. Scouts thought he was slow and undersized and downgraded him accordingly.

That's why Savage compared D'Qwell to Ray Lewis after the '06 draft: both saw their draft stocks drop due to poor measurables, and both (said Savage) play bigger & faster than those numbers would indicate.

Also, you have to consider the possibility that some teams may have taken Ray off their boards because of character concerns. And those scouts & GM's weren't exactly being foolish: after all, Lewis came very close to having an abrupt Vick-like end to his career.

If that had happened, we'd now be comparing the Lewis pick to when we drafted Jeremiah Pharms, not dissing the 24 teams that passed on him.

I think 40 times are poor basis of judgment about a player. There is a lot of pressure on these young athletes at the combine, a lot due in part because of this short little 4-5 second race.

You're suggesting, out of the top three picks, all three will be OT??? I'll take the under...

With the need for QB of the top 3 picks and Minn and the Bears willing to trade up for a QB, I think there could be 2 QBs taken before we pick. I do think we have our choice of defenders. I think someone takes or a team trades up to take Sam Bradford. Especially if Shanahan takes over one of those teams.

With the need for QB of the top 3 picks and Minn and the Bears willing to trade up for a QB, I think there could be 2 QBs taken before we pick. I do think we have our choice of defenders. I think someone takes or a team trades up to take Sam Bradford. Especially if Shanahan takes over one of those teams.

Bradford won't go in the top ten. Minnesota really likes Tavaris Jackson. There is a possibility of Stafford going to the Lions, but I feel tackle is a more pressing need. They NEED protection. As far as the Bears are concerned, they may be in the running for Sam Bradford, but there is no way Matt Stafford falls past the 49ers at number 10.

Archived