THE BROWNS BOARD

Anyone else impressed with Lerner to this point?

OconRecon

I seem to recall when Randy took over for his father, the word was he wasn't a huge football head, and wanted to remain in the background, at least initially, and let the Browns front office manage the team.

But during this holiday week, the guy is on the war path. We'll see what he comes up with in the end, but I have to say, he is taking an aggressive and get-it-done approach. 10 wins last year? So what. 4 wins this year. Not good enough. Fire the coach and GM and go after the best. He was the first to talk to Cowher and is now seems to be in the front of the line to talk to the rest and best of the field. He has communicated enough with the press so we know what's going on, but in a no-drama/non-Jerry Jones type of way, which I like.

Keep it up Randy, we feel you have our back.

I'm withholding judgement. I'm not sure he's made the right decisions up till now, so I'm hoping he makes the right ones going forward. He seems a little schizophrenic to me, wanting to be the hands-off owner, but keeping his hands in the mix. He's interviewing VP/GM and HC people at the same time, when it should be the VP/GM who is making the HC decisions.

I really hope the decisions he has made turn out to be the right ones, and I hope he makes the right decisions going forward. We shall see.

This is honestly the first time that I've ever gotten even a hint of a good feeling about having a Lerner own this team.

I still wish back in '98 they would have awarded the ownership to Tom Murdough. Even if he didn't have the complete monopoly money that Lerner cam equipped with, he knows how to run an organization, had plenty of backing and is above all else a football man. That's even why Bernie sided with him at first.

I'm withholding judgement. I'm not sure he's made the right decisions up till now, so I'm hoping he makes the right ones going forward. He seems a little schizophrenic to me, wanting to be the hands-off owner, but keeping his hands in the mix. He's interviewing VP/GM and HC people at the same time, when it should be the VP/GM who is making the HC decisions.

I really hope the decisions he has made turn out to be the right ones, and I hope he makes the right decisions going forward. We shall see.

He is doing what I think he should do. He is the overall employer...and he knows the guys that the new VP/GM are likely to want to bring in...so it behooves him to become acquainted with them...as it will color the choice of VP/GM.

For example, if he knows Pioli is going to bring in Ferentz for sure....and he doesn't want a college coach....chances are he doesn't pursue Pioli.

So, interviewing BOTH VP/GM AND Coaches is the smartest thing he can do. Then he is more aware and in control of who will end up being the coach of HIS team.

He is doing what I think he should do. He is the overall employer...and he knows the guys that the new VP/GM are likely to want to bring in...so it behooves him to become acquainted with them...as it will color the choice of VP/GM.

For example, if he knows Pioli is going to bring in Ferentz for sure....and he doesn't want a college coach....chances are he doesn't pursue Pioli.

So, interviewing BOTH VP/GM AND Coaches is the smartest thing he can do. Then he is more aware and in control of who will end up being the coach of HIS team.

Very good perspective, I can't argue with that. Thanks. Here's hoping it all turns out right! He gives the impression of trying to do things the right way.

Well nobody can accuse Lerner of not trying.

He seems genuinely concerned with turning this franchise around, which is a good thing.

I think sometimes we mistake his hands off approach for apathy, but now with no FO he is taking the bull by the horns and trying to find us a winner.

I just pray he picks the right guy(s)

You make Lerner Jr. sound like Art Modell throughout the years, Inspecta.

I say more like DAVID Modell.

Shep says Lerner Jr. is respected around the league. I never heard such a thing - his organization is God awful. No wonder opposing coaches, GMs and owners like him.

LOLOL

You make Lerner Jr. sound like Art Modell throughout the years, Inspecta.

I say more like DAVID Modell.

Shep says Lerner Jr. is respected around the league. I never heard such a thing - his organization is God awful. No wonder opposing coaches, GMs and owners like him. LOLOL

I was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and the topic of the Browns came up.

One of the two hosts - Greenberg and Golic had the morning off - said that Lerner has a reputation around the league of spending more time in England (I presume to watch over his soccer team) than he does tending to the Browns.

Does that say that Lerner 'is respected around the league?'

LOLOLOL I respect that kid for betting so much money on his billiard games - I hope he continues as he hasn't won a game from me yet!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3803935

Lerner gave Pioli a deadline, and it's today. He means business.

I see the former Browns employees coming back and taking over in the next day or so.

Pioli will take GM.

Ferentz will be HC

He either brings his old reliable DC from Iowa, or he talks mangenius into the job.

Offenisve coordinator? I am open to ideas on that one. Some dynamic young dude that's not on the radar yet.

Zombo

--Ferentz spanking Spurrier with running game and defense ... hmmm

PFT has a little something about the deadline, and it's not very optomistic. It says that the Browns made a huge financial offer, but Pioli's demands are almost too much for any team to meet.

Typical.

I'm starting to think hiring Pioli is the smartest thing he can do and then let Pioli hire the coach.

That's where I sit, Inspecta.

Lerner possibly mucking things up by interviewing for the HC position before or while he tries to hire a GM doesn't make a lot of sense to me - I am not a sports guy but I do know a little bit about organizational structure, respecting managers to help drive positive outcomes, etc. - and fear that top-flight GM candidates might be turned off by the 'meddling' at this time.

There is an old story about somebody being able to muck up a wet dream and I hope Lerner Jr. isn't one of them.

Archived