THE BROWNS BOARD

What you Need to Remember

YtownBrownsBacker

Here's a little reality check. Selecting a GM and/or a HC, just like trying to sign FA players, it is a two way street. For most of these guys it isn't all about who offers the most money. It's about where they have the best chance of being successful. Someplace with a good scouting dept. already in tact. Someplace with a supportive owner, who wants to win. Someplace where the fans are passionate about their team.

So far we match up okay. Then they look for teams with winners, guys with winning attitudes. Teams that don't have troubled locker rooms. Organizations with a winning attitude and history.

They also look to see if this could be a home for their families. Check it out Cleveland isn't Palm Springs or Orlando. It is friggin miserable up here in the winter.

My point is, you just can't see a guy out there and say..........................bring him in. It is a two way street. He has to want to come.

Lerner has a hard job selling Cleveland because they have been losers since 1999 and the city isn't a mecca. If you can get somebody with a prior attachment, like Pioli, McDaniel, Mangini or Schwartz, then go get them. Because a Shanahan or Holgram or Cowher might be using us a leverage while looking at someplace else, someplace more appealing.

If you pass on Pioli and his connections while looking for someone better, you may end up with what's left or Plan C.

If someone is given the latitude to 'make his mark' on a program that has struggled, thus building his value, they'll 'rough it' a while.

A GM and / or coaching staff that can build something from nothing will long be remembered. WHo the heck was Belicheck after he left Cleveland (in a shambles I might add), other than the Giants DC.

You're right in that Cleveland likely has little appeal vs. Denver, even NY, but then again this is a program, that when it's good, will have some of the most faithful support of any NFL franchise. The support for even weak teams in Cleveland has been better than say Jacksonville.

You point is valid though, it is definitely a two way street, but there are also underlying opportunities in a program such as the Browns.

Lerner has a hard job selling Cleveland because they have been losers since 1999 and the city isn't a mecca. If you can get somebody with a prior attachment, like Pioli, McDaniel, Mangini or Schwartz, then go get them. Because a Shanahan or Holgram or Cowher might be using us a leverage while looking at someplace else, someplace more appealing.

If you pass on Pioli and his connections while looking for someone better, you may end up with what's left or Plan C.

Lerner might have a hard time selling this thing because of his past decisions

Picking the HC before hiring the Football Man would be one from the past

Hey I love what Guys like 32 and 19 have done for this organization in the past

but if the have the ear of the owner moreso than his Top Football man then there are problems.

Real Problems

I agree on some of your points, most notably that "he has to want to come."

However, while Cleveland isn't a "mecca" with year-round sunshine, golf/swimming 365 days a year, it IS perhaps the most affordable as far as cost-of-living for a large metro area. You can get a lot of real estate for a lot less than a "mecca," and there are many decent public school systems and quite a lot of highly-regarded private schools if this new GM/coach looks at Cleveland, and has to keep the kids in mind. You may have already known that, but that's my two cents.

We also have a rabid fan base (but growing pretty impatient, rightly so). Yes, most of our beloved history ended when idiot-head fired Paul Brown, but Northeast Ohio is football country.

Lerner might have a hard time selling this thing because of his past decisions

Picking the HC before hiring the Football Man would be one from the past

Hey I love what Guys like 32 and 19 have done for this organization in the past

but if the have the ear of the owner moreso than his Top Football man then there are problems.

Real Problems

And yes, those are reasons why a Cowher or Shanahan would look somewhere else first. My point is when you find a guy that has hunger and a vision don't keep looking in case someone better might become available. You may lose the guy you really wanted in the first place.

Cleveland doesn't sell itself.

And yes, those are reasons why a Cowher or Shanahan would look somewhere else first. My point is when you find a guy that has hunger and a vision don't keep looking in case someone better might become available. You may lose the guy you really wanted in the first place.

Cleveland doesn't sell itself.

I got your original point,,, I was just adding to it

While I think Scott Pioli may just be the Right Man at the right place at the right time.

I still have my doubts about Randy Lerner and his ability to allow this New Hire whomever it may be to do his Job without meddlng or outside interference

Guest Ghoolie

Lerner caused the losing.

Pittsburgh isn't a Mecca.

Nobody wants to come here because Lerner BLOWS.

Archived