THE BROWNS BOARD

PIOLI IS ALMOST LANDED!! Could be anounced tonight!

PlaygroundLegend

"Sources close to the situation have informed The OBR that Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner and New England Patriots vice president of player personnel Scott Pioli are currently engaged in extensive talks -- and have been since yesterday evening -- which could result in an agreement as early as this evening or tonight. "It's not a done deal, but it's heading in that direction. It could get finished in short order," a source said, adding the qualifier that "until the pen is put to paper, anything could happen."

At the latest, sources said, an agreement in principle between the two sides -- or a mutual parting of ways, it should be added -- could be reached by the end of the day tomorrow. A source added that the earliest the Browns would hold a press conference to announce a Pioli hiring would be on Friday, unless the news breaks and the ensuing media circus forces the organization to hold the presser a day earlier.

There is no word yet on what title Pioli would hold should he agree to a position with the Browns, although it could range anywhere from all-powerful general manager all the way up to president of football operations. Or both.

Another issue of note involving Pioli is the Browns' interviewing of Eric Mangini for their vacant coaching position. Earlier in the week, sources told The OBR that the Spygate brouhaha created a divide between Mangini and Pioli, and that their rumored pairing in Cleveland would likely not happen due to the animosity. However, sources have since indicated that Spygate and any bitterness that resulted from it would not be an issue between the two.

That doesn't mean Mangini will become the next head coach, but Spygate apparently would not preclude him from becoming Rome Crennel's replacement either."

If this is what floats your guys boat...congrats.

Personally, The Tuna would have been a much better option.

One thing Tuna has proven....he is NOT a long term answer. He enjoys coming in and starting something...but then leaving after only 3 or 4 years.

The Browns do not have the luxery of a rent-a-GM. It is NOT the way to build a dynasty...and in my opinion the exact OPPOSITE of what the Browns should be looking to do.

Pioli, on the other hand, is a young guy with a long future in front of him. He has ties to the Cleveland area...and is looking to make a name for himself (not just show up, say "I am the Tuna" and ride off into the sunset).

Besides, even if things screw up for Tuna...it won't hurt him. Pioli will be basing his entire career on making things work here in Cleveland.

I'd take Pioli over Tuna the Carpetbagger. I'd really like to build an organization like (God this kills me) Pittsburgh or New England.

There is no shame to the above statement as you know

If Randy Lerner can get this Organizational Locomotive back on the proper train tracks

and once again modeled after the best organizations in the NFL

then we can go about the business of actually being in football games with these teams

and have a chance of kicking their collective asses once again

I'd take Pioli over Tuna the Carpetbagger. I'd really like to build an organization like (God this kills me) Pittsburgh or New England.

You got to have a respected owner thats willing to do what it takes and has a feasible top floor plan like the above mentioned 2 teams have to be like those teams success wise...lerner hasnt proven anything except that he is a slightly better owner than al was but it will be interesting to see if randy has what it takes he has to prove it though because if he is under whomever he hires skin with the corny way he wants things done we will go nowhere.....

PFT.com

BROWNS OFFER G.M. GIG TO PIOLI?

Posted by Mike Florio on December 31, 2008, 4:26 p.m. EST

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Browns’ search for a new G.M. could be over as soon as today.

Though Schefter’s report doesn’t expressly state that the Browns have offered the job to Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, Schefter says that the team wants an answer from Pioli today.

If Pioli declines, the Browns would meet on Thursday with Falcons president Rich McKay.

As we see it, there’s a chance that Pioli would not accept the position on Wednesday, but also still remain interested. It was reported earlier in the week that an unnamed team has expressed an interest in Pioli. Thus, he might want to do his due diligence with that franchise before deciding whether to accept any offer from the Browns.

It was reported earlier in the week that an unnamed team has expressed an interest in Pioli. Thus, he might want to do his due diligence with that franchise before deciding whether to accept any offer from the Browns.

So, he wants to pull a Brian Asshole on us?

Nice...too bad Lerner doesn't have the balls to pull the offer off of the table like his daddy did to Asshole. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

-Al

I also agree that we neither need nor (I hope!) want Parcells with his "Here I am, there I go" make-up. We desperately need continuity & I think Randy L realizes that. It will be interesting watching our new management/coaching team develop.

I have a real good feeling this time...let's wait & see.

Mike

If this is what floats your guys boat...congrats.

Personally, The Tuna would have been a much better option.

The Tuna is a proven winner. He's also 67, and has had a heart attack. Not a long term solution. I'll let you tell me how many teams he's been through.

Guest Aloysius
It seems like dude is asking the sun and moon:

http://www.cleveland.com/brownsbeat/index....ock_with_b.html

Sounds like he really does not want to leave beantown; if so F- him

Actually, I think Lerner deserves a lot of blame if this doesn't happen.

First, he tells the local media on Monday that he wouldn't be interested in bringing in a college HC when it seems like everyone in Boston knew that Pioli had Ferentz high on his list of HC candidates.

Then he starts pushing Mangini for HC, which couldn't be anything close to Pioli's ideal scenario (Even if you think Spygate was just a spat between Manging & Belichick, hiring Mangini would certainly cause a rift between Pioli and Belichick.)

It seems like Lerner thought he could get away with this stuff if he threw enough money at Pioli. Apparently, things don't work that way (and Pioli one-upped him by demanding more money than Lerner could possibly offer).

It seems like dude is asking the sun and moon:

http://www.cleveland.com/brownsbeat/index....ock_with_b.html

Sounds like he really does not want to leave beantown; if so F- him

Yeah, both Lerner and Pioli supposedly wanted a quick decision, and now we're moving on to Atlanta. If Pioli doesn't take a job somewhere this time around, then he's officially one of those guys who just likes the attention.

I can't say I am real excited about Ferentz....but who knows...maybe we are better off with people who don't excite us all that much...the ones who did didn't exactly burn things up if you know what I mean.

It seems like Lerner thought he could get away with this stuff if he threw enough money at Pioli. Apparently, things don't work that way (and Pioli one-upped him by demanding more money than Lerner could possibly offer).

Just like free agents players you have to over pay to get them to come to Cleveland.

Patriots Vice President Scott Pioli is not on a deadline to give the Browns an answer Thursday on their general manager job, a league source with knowledge of the negotiations told the Plain Dealer Thursday.

The Boston Herald reported late Wednesday that the Browns parted ways with Pioli on Wednesday with no agreement in place, but with a mandate to make his decision by Thursday.

The source told the Plain Dealer that no timeframe was placed on the decision. Pioli intends to go through with his interview with the Kansas City Chiefs and the Browns still plan to interview Atlanta Falcons President Rich McKay -- if they don't have a deal in place with Pioli.

However, with the Falcons preparing for their wildcard playoff game Saturday, the McKay interview -- which was originally schedule for today -- has been postponed until sometime after the game, a source said.

McKay isn't going to interview for the Brown's job.

Lerner is waiting on Pioli for his answer and figuring his next option if Pioli says no.

Then again, who knows what's going on. It's all speculation.

How the hell does Mary Kay or anybody from the Plain Dealer know what's going on. They're in Cleveland and Lerner is in New York. They are getting their stories from some joker who writes for the Boston Globe. The only think thye know is that KC asked to talk to Pioli and the Pats said OK. They don't know if Pioli wants to or will.

Hell, Pioli and Lerner could be out getting a massage and blow job to celebrate. Or Lerner could be down on Wall Street trying to get a "Bail Out" to recoup the $28 million it is costing him to fire Savage and RAC.

IT'S ALL SPECULATION FROM THE MEDIA.

A little update...

With each passing moment, the heat is being turned up on the Scott Pioli-to-Cleveland rumors. Pioli remains the favorite to land a position of power and significance within the Browns front office.

Pioli and Lerner spoke again today about the vacant front office spot, as well as head coach-type candidates. Indications are Pioli indeed prefers University of Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz, a former Browns assistant, to lead the Browns. Lerner, on the other hand, is believed to prefer former Browns assistant and former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini.

Discussions regarding parameters of a deal have now taken place, as Lerner considers Pioli a solid representative of what he believes in -- hard work, intelligence and an ability to interact well as a leader.

If Pioli ultimately decides to take the plunge, sources close to the man in the spotlight assure theOBR Pioli truly wants the Cleveland job. However, he will require several assurances from Lerner that he will indeed lead the football side of the operations.

Prior to the face-to-face meeting between Pioli and Lerner, the Browns' owner was apprehensive about providing near-absolute power to one individual. That being said, Lerner does express an appreciation and belief in Pioli due to his track record and seal of approval from New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

As anticipation grows that both parties are working toward an agreement, the finer details could derail this courtship quickly.

If Pioli does not receive the assurances he requires as far as authority -- which includes the selection of his head coach -- a deal between he and the team he holds close to him may not be in the offing.

Whatever direction this process takes, our sources have led us to expect the situation to come to a climax within the next two days - if not sooner.

That is a nice bid of information, but unless you were in the room during the interview, that is all pure speculation.

Nobody knows what went on or where they are or why they haven't finished a deal yet.

That is a bunch of sports writers trying to get a scoop and sell their papers. Some wantabe is the unnamed source.

Adam Schefter even says in his article that "it's speculation at this point". But, the Cleveland media takes the story and runs with it.

Archived