THE BROWNS BOARD

Rey Maualuga

Guest Aloysius

I mean, imagine if Brady Quinn was talking to Andrea Kremer after the game & Maualaga started doing something like that: don't you think Quinn would have been pissed?

Wow. That clip showed a total lack of class.

BTW, the Youtube clips that Shep posted links to were a combined 5+ minutes Rey on pass plays. He was impressive, but there was not one running play on those clips. i know that sacks and interceptions are more glamorous for clips like those. Can Rey shed a block and play the run? That is DQ's clear weakness, and we don't need two guys posting big tackle stats that happen to be 5-8 yards downfield.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Alo on just about everything besides the interview video.

I'd love to have an attitude on our defense, but Maualuga just has too much Bosworth in him. He'd be a great guy to take a flier on if you don't have many holes, or you have multiple picks or whatever, but with a top 5 pick on a team like ours who NEEDS to hit on this, I'd go with the safer option and take Curry. Too much bust potential in Rey.

I don't think I'd complain with any of Rey, Curry or Beanie, but I'm definitely on the Curry wagon.

When building a team there are certain traits that are important when selecting personnel. I am in charge of a team at work, not football players, but I think the same applies to all "team" situations. You want someone who is intelligent, who works hard, and who works well in your team environment. Maualuga is definitely a beast in the middle, but I question his overall intelligence and leadership. I would much rather see Curry if we indeed go LB in the first round. I am not saying that I am a draft expert, but then again who is? There is just something about Maualuga that I can't get over. Call it a gut feeling if you will. I may be wrong and will gladly admit it if I am, but I don't think that Maualuga will be as great as some people think.

Curry seems to be everyones favorite player over Rey at ILB but people need to understand this - While Rey had support at USC, he was also playing against some of the best offenses in the nation in the Pac-10. The Pac-10 boasts 5 of the top 30 scoring offenses in the nation (Oregon, USC, Arizona, Cal, Oregon State) while the ACC boasts only one in the top 50- Florida State.

The next highest scoring offense Wake Forrest played against was Navy in their bowl game and Curry didn't impress.

Curry played against lesser offenses in the ACC which helped his performance.

Guest Aloysius

I sincerely hope that Maualuga's no longer the angry kid who got in so much trouble his first two years at USC.

Because reports like this one are pretty sickening:

Less than two weeks ago, Maualuga was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after witnesses said he punched out a man at a party near campus.

[...]

According to witnesses, in the early morning hours of a Halloween party, with no apparent motivation, Maualuga walked up and punched his alleged victim twice, knocking him down.

When the victim’s companion threatened to call police, Maualuga allegedly shouted, “I own the police” before running away.

Guest Aloysius
Let's get a look at both guys during Senior Bowl Week... which is even more important than the Combine. That's where Curry will face the kind of competition Rey faces.

If Herm Edwards gets fired, we'd actually be in line to be one of the teams coaching at the Senior Bowl. And because USC & Wake Forest guys play on different squads, our coaches would have a chance to spend a week working with one of these LB's.

Unfortunately, there's not enough time for our new coaching staff to get things together in time to coach the game. I kind of wish we could just send RAC down there with a few position coaches & have him get a better sense for us how good Maualuga or Curry is (with the other coaching staff being Seattle, I'm guessing we'd have the South squad, which would give us Aaron Curry).

Guest Aloysius

Perhaps it's fitting that Maualauga's nondescript performance on the field on Thursday is getting less attention than what he did on the sideline:

Not the biggest deal in the world, but an incredibly stupid thing to do with a bunch of NFL scouts watching your every move.

I just don't trust this guy to make the right decisions, both on and off the field.

If Herm Edwards gets fired, we'd actually be in line to be one of the teams coaching at the Senior Bowl.

IF we have a Head Coach hired by then.

I think Rey fell off everyone's radar. If we're going LBer first, it looks like Curry is the consenus. I hope Curry's agent is as impressive as Aloy for endorsing that kid.

I'm sort of worried about the GM thang because I would think Pioli would want to name the guy he's either gonna walk the plank with or lead us into happily ever after with. I kept reading Piloi only had eyes for Cleveland and turned down all other jobs in recent years. I also read Lerner gave him a blank check - so what's up?

- Tom F.

I think that video speaks volumes about Maualuga's character. He should not even be on our board when we draft. Again, we need players who smart and tough with character and a good work ethic...not some immature malcontent who will suddenly find themself with a shit load of money in which to get into trouble.

I would draft Rey Maualuga or James Laurinaitis, there football players. not saints!

I am fine with Laurinaitis. He has never been in any trouble and always shows nothing but class. We don't need guys like Maualuga. We are fans of the Browns, not the Bengals.

Guest Masters
I would draft Rey Maualuga or James Laurinaitis, there football players. not saints!

I don't think either guy will be difference makers in the NFL. Neither has really shown to be a difference maker in college. They likely be good solid players at the next level, but not game changers.

I think that video speaks volumes about Maualuga's character. He should not even be on our board when we draft.

Dude has the emotional makeup of a toddler.

I'm sure Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Walter Payton, Marvin Harrison and Tom Brady would have acted exactly like that after a blowout win at age 22.

Maualuga's a toddler. Gerard Warren was one too. Who cares how talented you are if you're a complete moron.

Curry is a professional. Mays is a professional. Let's stick with those.

Guest Masters

He danced for 10 seconds behind a hot sideline reporter.

If we want to throw out HOF players as a comparison, all I have to say is Lawerence Taylor. Shit he was snorting coke while playing.

Rey might be a moron, but I am not going to read into 10 seconds of dancing to pass judgement on the guy.

If we want to throw out HOF players as a comparison, all I have to say is Lawerence Taylor.

If Maualuga had even a modicum of Taylor's talent or playmaking ability, I wouldn't be making a big deal of this either.

I maintain Maualuga appears to be nothing more than a slightly above-average talent with the emotional makeup of a toddler.

Guest Masters
I maintain Maualuga appears to be nothing more than a slightly above-average talent .

This part I agree 100% with you on.

I just can't judge a guy I have never met, who hasn't had any real trouble in quite some time. Unless you have met the kid, I don't think it's fair or even possible to judge who he is as a person.

But if you gauge Maualuga to be slightly above-average, why would he be in the conversation at #5 with guys like Mays and Curry probably on the board?

The him-acting-like-a-Retard-on-TV is just the icing on the cake for me. I don't need to meet him to know he's immature. Just look at how he acts.

Guest Masters
But if you gauge Maualuga to be slightly above-average, why would he be in the conversation at #5 with guys like Mays and Curry probably on the board?

The him-acting-like-a-Retard-on-TV is just the icing on the cake for me. I don't need to meet him to know he's immature. Just look at how he acts.

I have said since the OSU/USC game that I don't think he is the best LB on his team, let alone the country. I wouldn't take him anywhere in the first round. I don't think he should be in the conversation.

What else on how he acts do you have, besides that little dance at the end of the Rose Bowl? I haven't seen anything.

Guest Masters

When I see that one, I can find 100's for every college, pro football player, or MLB player putting in pie in a guys face. Unless Cushing took offense, that is much ado about nothing.

But we are in agreement that Rey is over-rated.

I really like Maualauga as a football player, but the YouTube of him and Andrews is just flat-out disappointing. Any way you slice it that's immaturity, people.

I want football players that care about football, not ones who wear a thong over their uniform in practice (Rey), not ones who have assaulted other human beings (Rey again), and especially not ones who perform a suggestive dance behind a hot sideline reporter while in full view of fans at the Rose Bowl (Rey for the hat trick).

If you can't find other players at #5 to help this Browns team, then we're wasting our time anyway. Let him play for Oakland or Dallas. They like attention whores.

Look, for those of you arguing that these things are just "Rey being Rey" or "Rey having fun" or "Rey's a beast on the field so who cares about those other things?" what would you say if he was doing those things wearing Seal and Orange?

Wait a minute. That's exactly what you'll be saying later if we draft him.

So it's good you're practicing now.

No thanks to this stuff. We simply cannot afford another miss in the top 5. We need the best, SAFEST pick we can get.

Curry is that guy, by all accounts. Let someone else's fanbase enable Rey. Pass.

Guest Aloysius

I agree, Juki.

Btw, someone turned Rey's latest antics into an animated GIF:

ReydancemadebyOTG.gif

If anyone wants to use it as their avatar, here's the URL:

http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff359/OneToughGame/ReydancemadebyOTG.gif

This defense needs a personality. It needs a focal point. Like a Ray Lewis. Teammates like and respect guys like this.

I think Maualuga has that kind of potential. I could be wrong.

I'm not wrong about this being hilarious, though.

Now that is some funny stuff

Archived