THE BROWNS BOARD

Rey Maualuga

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
I might want to throw that next to my rey pic in my sig, I thought it was funny, he was just joking around, plus the reporter laughed. Its not like she slapped him afterwards

FWIW, I'm guessing her laugh was more of the "WTF just happened?" variety. And Maualuga later apologized to Andrews, who hasn't publicly commented on what happened.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Guest Aloysius

Just read that several GM's reportedly have told Pete Carroll that they love what Maualuga does on the field, but they're concerned about his "naive" personality.

Should be interesting to see how Maualuga times at the Combine, but the more important component for him will be the team interviews conducted behind the scenes. If he bombs those, his draft stock could really slide.

what's the furthest he drops? i think the absolute lowest he could go would be miami, where he'd replace crowder and parcells and sparano would whip his ass into ship like they were r. lee ermey. atlanta could use him at 24, too.

my big fear is that he goes to baltimore, even though they need a CB far more than they could possibly use a LB. i'd hate facing him in that scheme twice a year. hell, i just hate facing that scheme twice a year.

Guest Aloysius

It's really hard to predict what Maualuga's range is; when Heck & I tried to come up with one a week or so ago, we agreed on 8-25.

But if Maualuga shows up in poor shape (he trained at USC instead of one of the big Combine training facilities), runs a 4.78, then comes off poorly in the interviews, who knows how far he'd fall?

He needs to go somewhere with a strong supporting cast, both in terms of talent & character. Even though I've become accustomed to bashing him here, I think he could be a huge success in the right situation.

Should be interesting to see how Maualuga times at the Combine, but the more important component for him will be the team interviews conducted behind the scenes. If he bombs those, his draft stock could really slide.

One thing I read was Rey was going to sit out some of the coverage drills at the Combine, pretty much closing the door on him even pretending to be a 3-down linebacker. Would you take a 2-down player in the first round, let alone the top half???

Pauline does not believe that Maualuga will participate in the linebacker workouts at the Scouting Combine.

via here

Guest Aloysius

Yeah, you wouldn't take a two down linebacker in the top half of the first round.

And his not participating in LB drills will raise a lot of questions: is he that bad in coverage? Was he too lazy to prepare for LB drills? Both?

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yeah, you wouldn't take a two down linebacker in the top half of the first round.

And his not participating in LB drills will raise a lot of questions: is he that bad in coverage? Was he too lazy to prepare for LB drills? Both?

Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

SUCH COMPLETE BS!!!! He will NOT be a 2 down backer, as to his childish behavior....he a freakin child for christ sake! 20~22 years old are you kidding??? they have to grow into professionals especially a kid that lost his Dad at 18 years old....unbelievable!!! The kid is going to be a superstar at MLB...all you "fans" who don't want him...don't want the Browns to be great! The Cleveland Browns have never had a great MLB....Still haven't heard any of you address that simple fact!!! Ticky tack "value" BS....just stupid! That's my take and I'll stick to it! The kid is a SPECIAL player!

Let's put this into perspective.

Maualuga is a terror at MLB. He has matured greatly. He has been compared to Troy PollyMoomoo, only 40 lbs heavier.

He has matured, so has Polly.

figure this:

The type of player the Steelers draft:

Polly doesn't do stupid stuff like that anymore. At least, I don't think so. He sucks because he's a squeeler surrounded by idiots..

although, years later he got his payback:

but watch these interviews to get a better idea of who Maualuga is now:

(just figure out at the combine interviews to try? to figure he will be a character player)

Fili Moala interview (he also talks about Rey)

Rey Maualuga interviews

Guest Aloysius
Fili Moala interview (he also talks about Rey)

Fili's got his own character issues (arrested March of last year for obstructing an officer & resisting arrest).

Yes, Al. But I wasn't suggesting Fili would be a good draft pick,

I was showing that Rey made the calls, etc, had leadership, etc, per Fili Moala's appraisal.

It helps give a different look to Rey. That's all.

As I have said before and was mentioned again...he comes out on most 3rd down plays.

Third down is when I want my players to shine.....not be put on the bench.

Add in character concerns and he is a guy I pass.

If we trade down, I doubt it is because he is the target unless we are going to the bottom of the round.

Rey presents value about pick 25. Before that he is a reach.

As I have said before and was mentioned again...he comes out on most 3rd down plays.

Third down is when I want my players to shine.....not be put on the bench.

Add in character concerns and he is a guy I pass.

If we trade down, I doubt it is because he is the target unless we are going to the bottom of the round.

Rey presents value about pick 25. Before that he is a reach.

God forbid you may be wrong.....BUT As I state...he will be a 3 down Linebacker. wagerinng is pretty stupid at this point but Rey doesn't come out on third down....just ridiculous! and not true!

BUT As I state...he will be a 3 down Linebacker.

Well you should have your own column on profootballtalk.com then. What are you wasting your time here with us for?

Well you should have your own column on profootballtalk.com then. What are you wasting your time here with us for?

Just a complete difference of opinion is all! The arguement for not taking Rey M. is cause he will be a 2 down linebacker??? Come on.... Heck...guys told me last year and the year before the same thing about Mayo and Willis and before that Demeco ryans. Same arguements year in and out and still wrong. We have needed a stud MLB and have for the 40 years I've been alive. We need an Identity on this Defense and It always starts at LB!

The arguement for not taking Rey M. is cause he will be a 2 down linebacker??? Come on....

Yes. By far the best argument so far.

Heck...guys told me last year and the year before the same thing about Mayo and Willis and before that Demeco ryans.

Who were those guys...

Guest Aloysius

Those who didn't like Mayo actually did so for completely different reasons: they felt he was more of an athletic Tampa 2 ILB than a 3-4 ILB.

So the comparison to Maualuga doesn't make much sense.

Those who didn't like Mayo actually did so for completely different reasons: they felt he was more of an athletic Tampa 2 ILB than a 3-4 ILB.

So the comparison to Maualuga doesn't make much sense.

Hmmm I thought Mayo plays ILB in a 3~4 in NE........I'm sure i'm wrong!

Guest Aloysius

Okay...the point being that Mayo's coverage abilities weren't questioned during the draft process. Maualuga's, on the other hand, are questioned by scouts, and his reportedly not planning on going through LB drills at the Combine won't do anything to allay those concerns.

Guest Aloysius

By the way, the same guy who said that Mayo was a Tampa 2 ILB also said that Jason Jones wouldn't play 3-4 OLB (he now plays DE-DT for the Titans) and that Bruce Davis would be limited to WOLB when some here wanted to bring him in to play SOLB (based on what I saw during the preseason, Davis may not even be strong enough to play the weakside).

So that person gets a lot of credit for getting 2/3 projections right.

Okay...the point being that Mayo's coverage abilities weren't questioned during the draft process. Maualuga's, on the other hand, are questioned by scouts, and his reportedly not planning on going through LB drills at the Combine won't do anything to allay those concerns.

OK I thought the comparison didn't make sense....I loved Mayo last year and Willis the year before and ryans the year before that...I hate that Rey is rumored not to be involved in LB drills as well...but I saw and interview with him on how he got super nervous before the senior bowl practice and untill he got settled in by second day , he felt like he was having out of body experience...I hope he changes his mind! He seemed to have alot of INT's for a Mlb and a guy who can't cover.

Archived