THE BROWNS BOARD

Dolphins' Channing Crowder frustrated by lack of new contract

Guest mz.

Courtesy of the The Palm Beach Post.

So there's a chance he'll be available, or so it seems.

Pairing Crowder inside with DQ would make me feel much safer about drafting Curry.

Crowder has received high praise publicly all season from Sparano and defensive coordinator Paul Pasqualoni.

Uh oh. ;)

Guest Aloysius

People talk about Curry being versatile enough to play inside or outside in a 3-4. I think that's true, but I wouldn't draft him to play OLB; his ability to move outside would be an added bonus if we drafted him to play ILB, but he's not particularly refined as an edge rusher.

He's kind of like Bart Scott in that sense.

So we are looking for that guy to play next to DQ.

I'm not sure Curry's versatility outweighs Maualuga's ability to be the thumper we need.

I say we sign Crowder and draft Crabtree, who might be the best player of them all. :)

Guest Aloysius

It depends on what you mean by "thumper".

If you mean a guy who'll run downhill and crash into people, Super Wario style, then Maualuga's your guy.

But if you mean a guy who's very good at shedding blocks and making plays behind the line of scrimmage, then Curry definitely qualifies.

This scouting report says it all:

SLB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest

6-1 3/4, 250, 4.61

A thickly built, strong, physical, hard-hitting ’backer with the size, instincts and overall athletic ability to line up at any position in a 3-4 or a 4-3 front. Curry’s value in large part stems from his versatility, as few linebackers possess the skill set to be effective at any position in either system. Might not have the overall length desired in a rush linebacker but has been extremely productive playing over the tight end, and his strength at the point of attack and ability to shed blockers is rare. With knuckle-breaking hand strength, he ragdolls blockers and plays a big man’s game with power. The most complete ’backer to come out in a long time, Curry has few deficiencies in his game and easily could fit into the top five. Scouts love his physical skill set.

Basically, you're getting your prototypical thumper, only with more versatility and athleticism.

I maintain I find both Curry and Maualuga very impressive. With guys this talented, what we are doing now seems to be more nitpicking than anything else.

Does Curry project to be that much better than a Channing Crowder, though?

Because Crabtree projects to be that much better than, say, Donte Stallworth...

You're probably right, investing that much in WR doesn't make much sense, shep, unless you plan on running a Cardinals-type attack (I don't want that).

Signing Crowder (before the draft, obvie) would seem to make Maualuga, and Curry to a slightly lesser extend, more or less redundant.

Where do we go next?

Draft Orakpo (not sold)? Wells (rather not)? Jenkins (redundant, as well)? Crabtree (discussed already)? QB (redundant)?

Guest Aloysius

Whoa - I didn't know anything about Crowder's chronic knee problems:

[Crowder] was a consensus All-American choice as a senior, recording 114 tackles with 7.5 sacks while also seeing action at tailback, where he gained 800 yards. That season’s high soon gave way to the realization that Channing might never play college football. He underwent knee surgery as a sophomore, where he had a ligament transplant. After his senior year, Channing again underwent surgery, this time on both of his knees. Shortly after his 18th birthday on December 2, 2001, he had surgery. There was a second surgery on the left knee in April 2002, to repair problems from another operation his sophomore year in high school. He'd had another surgery in which the ligament of a cadaver was used to replace the other damaged anterior cruciate ligament. Two years later, the knee had rejected the transplant. Both knees have been repaired by taking the middle one-third of the patella tendon to replace the ACLs. He worked diligently to get back in shape, but had to sit out the 2002 season -- not enrolling at Florida to save a year of eligibility.

Guest Aloysius

That, and he was a pretty bad dude back at UF:

Two members of the University of Florida football team were arrested Tuesday night on charges of aggravated battery. Steven Harris, 19, and Randolph Channing Crowder, 20, were booked into the Alachua County jail Tuesday night. The incident happened at 2 a.m. on April 13 in the parking lot of The Palace nightclub, 233 W. University Ave. Both Crowder and Harris punched and kicked Brian Assent in the head and face, according to the arrest report. Assents' friends brought him to the hospital. The attack lead to "permanent disfigurement," reads the report in part. Assent, 22, lost a tooth and had five others loosened. He got a cut on his face that required 11 stitches, along with other cuts and bruises. He told police a few hours later that a few UF football players showed up at The Palace and started causing problems, said Gainesville Police Sgt. Keith Kameg. When Assent left the nightclub, someone reportedly punched him in the face. He fell, lost consciousness, and didn't remember the rest of the attack. His friends later told him a couple of people kicked him several times and that they might be UF football players, Kameg said. Assent positively identified Crowder and Harris from a photo lineup, according to the report. The two were arrested at the Springs Complex on the University of Florida campus.

Dick or no dick, the guy has been in the NFL for four years and the worst thing he's done was ask whether they spoke English in England. :)

At least he didn't go all Dwayne Schintzius with a tennis racket down in G'ville.

Back in 1989 (a good year for throwing things), Vanderbilt basketball hosted Florida, which was welcoming Dwayne Schintzius back from a suspension. Schintzius had gotten in trouble for an incident in which he swung a tennis racket at another Florida student. Vanderbilt fans, thinking the game was over, tossed a handful of tennis balls onto the court when the Gators turned the ball over trailing 72-70 with one second left. The Dores were T'd up, Schintzius -- of all people -- made the free throws and the Gators won in OT. Vandy ended up finishing a game behind Florida for the SEC title. "I don't know who did it," said the bemulleted big man, "but Dwayne Schintzius thanks you very much."

Guest Aloysius
the bemulleted big man

Awesome.

Back to FA & the draft: I think our best option may be to pursue Terrell Suggs in FA, then take Curry or Maualuga in Round 1. With those two additions, we'd be well on our way to having a very good linebacker core.

People talk about Curry being versatile enough to play inside or outside in a 3-4. I think that's true, but I wouldn't draft him to play OLB; his ability to move outside would be an added bonus if we drafted him to play ILB, but he's not particularly refined as an edge rusher.

He's kind of like Bart Scott in that sense.

BTW, Bart Scott is a FA this year and Balt also has Ray Lewis and Suggs and their center that they have to sign. Ozzie has already said that they don't have enough cap room to sign everybody.

Archived