THE BROWNS BOARD

Pioli Favors Ferentz

PlayoffsIN09

Guest Aloysius

If it is indeed Ferentz, then I'm pretty concerned. The guy's been out of the NFL for ten years...

Then again, his zone blocking system will do wonders for Thomas and Steinbach (a former Hawkeye).

Guest Aloysius

OBR is reporting that negotiations have ended for now. Pioli is expected to listen to the Chiefs' offer, and Rich McKay will be interviewed for the GM job tomorrow.

The concern I have of hiring an NFL OC or DC over a CFB HC is that once the DC/OC is hired, he no longer can run the D/O. Just because he can run a D/O does not mean he can run a team. We need a guy with HC experience to turn this around, not some first time HC who was a good OC/DC.

Tomlin took over a good team. We don't have a good team. We may have good players, but not a good team.

That said Ferentz is not my pick - not by a long shot.

The concern I have of hiring an NFL OC or DC over a CFB HC is that once the DC/OC is hired, he no longer can run the D/O. Just because he can run a D/O does not mean he can run a team. We need a guy with HC experience to turn this around, not some first time HC who was a good OC/DC.

Tomlin took over a good team. We don't have a good team. We may have good players, but not a good team.

That said Ferentz is not my pick - not by a long shot.

Ravens, Falcons werent good teams and they hired coaches like that.

The Ravens have a stable front office. ATL has Arthur Blank, who actually has a clue, and Rich McKay.

We have none of that. They also haven't really accomplished anything yet. Let's see what happens next year when they are playing a much tougher schedule. We've seen ourselves that one good season may just be fool's gold.

The Ravens have a stable front office. ATL has Arthur Blank, who actually has a clue, and Rich McKay.

We have none of that. They also haven't really accomplished anything yet. Let's see what happens next year when they are playing a much tougher schedule. We've seen ourselves that one good season may just be fool's gold.

Arthur Blank gave Vick a huge extension, he doesn't have a clue at all

The Ravens were a good team. They had no HC worth a shit after his D could not bail him out.

Atlanta did well, and so did Miami. They also played shit schedules. I know we'll play a shit schedule next season, I am concerned about the year after when we play "that" schedule.

We'll see how Sparano and Harbaugh and Smith do in 2009.

The Ravens were a good team. They had no HC worth a shit after his D could not bail him out.

Atlanta did well, and so did Miami. They also played shit schedules. I know we'll play a shit schedule next season, I am concerned about the year after when we play "that" schedule.

We'll see how Sparano and Harbaugh and Smith do in 2009.

:lol: Atlanta didnt play a shit schedule. They played the NFC south (no teams with a losing record in the division), Vikings are a playoff team, Denver, Chargers a playoff team. That schedule wasnt easy at all.

Arthur Blank gave Vick a huge extension, he doesn't have a clue at all

he's a football guy who made a bad call. Do we need to list all of the first round busts?

ATL schedule was weak - opponents had 88 wins, 119 losses, and 1 tie. Winning % of .423. That's a weak schedule. Sorry it doesn't fit with your theory.

I just seen on ESPN that the Browns are prepared to make a huge offer to Pioli and Pioli said he favors Ferentz for HC.

I hope beyond hope that Pioli is the guy to get this organization going in the right direction.

At the same time, I worry about those reports that say that Pioli favors a coach like Ferentz when accomplished people like Shannahan, Holmgren, etc., etc, etc, are possibly available.

I'd prefer Elmer Fudd to that Fuddin' Ferentz.

Talk about taking all the luster off the shine.

:lol: Atlanta didnt play a shit schedule. They played the NFC south (no teams with a losing record in the division), Vikings are a playoff team, Denver, Chargers a playoff team. That schedule wasnt easy at all.

Shit may have been a bad choice on my part, given that they played a last place/4-12 schedule, just like ours last year. They did play CAR/TB/NO twice, but they also had DEN, KC, DET, OAK, GB and STL on the schedule. Not the toughest, not the easiest. I give them credit, and I like them.

Lets see how they do in 2009 with a first place schedule. They are a feel good team this season and I like the make up of the roster, and the FO.

And hey, Smith came in a took advantage of a team that signed M Turner and kicked ass. Not even RAC could do that.

I guess my point is that Sparano, Smith and Harbaugh all played last place schedules, and while they had very successful seasons, it was one season. With the Browns, I would sleep better at night knowing we could get Pioli and Shanahan. Knowing that is not going to happen, I'd settle for Schwartz and Pioli/Mckay.

--That's all I got. Seems like a bland choice ... of course so did Tony Sparano and Mike Smith.

Those were beyond-bland choices that I shook my head at but ultimately worked out, I guess. Perhaps we'll have similar luck...

Those were beyond-bland choices that I shook my head at but ultimately worked out, I guess. Perhaps we'll have similar luck...

They worked out for a year so far, we'll see down the road.

The NFL is a reactionary, copycat league. I think sometimes people are too quick to coronate someone the next greatest thing or the vestige of failure.

I don't see Harbaugh (John) and Smith to be guys susceptible to "copycat" shit, ala the WildDawg crap etc. They're just plain old football guys. Nothing fancy, innovative, anything like that. Just guys the players evidently respect and go all-out for..

Like what Jack del Rio used to be before he started wearing that dipshit leather Jags trenchcoat.

Not a fan of McKay or Ferentz. That said, I'd love to become one (!). A big turnaround would make me a happy idiot.

I still think it'll end up Pioli and McDaniels. That's what the latest from OBR seemed to imply.

McKay did a super job rebuilding Tampa Bay when he was GM and running the show. He developed Dungy. In Atlanta he is President and really has no say in football operations.

Can't see him giving full control to a HC.

Guest Aloysius

Ferentz as HC is really starting to grow on me. Not only because I'm not a big fan of the Mangini/Kokinis duo, but because of stuff pointed out by Brent "SOBO" Sobleski.

Soblieski makes three points about Ferentz that I find really intriguing:

1. Many of Ferentz's big-time draft prospects successfully switched positions while at Iowa: Robert Gallery went from TE to OT, Steinbach went from TE to OG, Chad Greenway went from DB to LB, and Jonathan Babineaux went from FB to DT. Though this happens in all college programs, Soblieski thinks that Ferentz has been notably successful in making these position switches work.

Considering how much some people here like to talk about how Wimbley is playing out of position and Cribbs is being underutilized, bringing in a coach with a knack for finding the best spots for his personnel would seem to be a positive (and popular) move.

2. I knew that Ferentz was known for employing a zone blocking scheme, but Sobleski says that Ferentz's broader offensive system is almost identical to the system Shanahan & Kubiak employ. Our athletic line (particularly our left side) would thrive in a ZBS, and many here think that BQ would fit best in a West Coast Offense. Even our pass-catching TE's seem like a perfect fit - look at the success Owen Daniels is having in Houston.

If that's the case, then we're not dealing with a coach whose offensive system only works against mediocre college teams. In reality, Pioli may be looking to Ferentz as the guy whose system will get the most out of our current personnel.

3. Ferentz, as a former NFL OL coach, understands that games are won and lost in the trenches. Look at how many 1st Round picks New England has spent on DL & OL, and look at their success on both fronts (especially DL). Ferentz would bring the same philosophy and, hopefully, similar results in the win/loss column.

Though I'm a little bit wary of bringing in a coach who's been out of the league for ten years, I think Pioli deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one. As long as Ferentz brings in the right DC, I think he could be a big success in Cleveland.

I agree. If Ferentz is hired, I'm on the wagon with Ghoolie and Rich.

This is the EXACT same thing Hawkeye fans were saying when Iowa missed out on Bobby Stoops and hired KF. The sky was falling, he had no experience, he wasn't the right guy for us, etc.....All crap.

The Browns would be VERY fortunate to have Ferentz. With a piece of sh*t 4-12 record and a team that hasn't won a playoff game since before bottled water, we don't have a lot of room to get 'picky' with other discarded NFL coaches that have failed.

Ferentz has beaten Paterno, Spurrier, Carr, Saban, Leach and your precious Jim Tressel....with FAR less talent.

I'd hate to see him leave Iowa, but, if he had to leave, I'd be very happy it is with the Browns.

Archived