THE BROWNS BOARD

If no Pioli then who?

bigred

Chill man.

You are paying too much attention to media hype. Orange & Brown has to keep people tuning in. And, the PD has to sell newspapers. They are making up stories from Cleveland while Lerner is in New York.

Mary Kay doesn't have a clue of what's going on with Lerner and Pioli. She's just trying to pick up stories off the wire or from PR guys that are here in town also.

Shanahan is an option as coach with draft and roster authority. You would have a player personel/GM guy like Pioli is in New England now.

Charlie Casserly is an option. Actually a pretty good evaluator of talent and doesn't require complete control of football operations. He had Washington in decent shape until Gibbs came back and started calling the shots.

Marty wants in the door of the FO, but that scares me because I think he just wants it because of his son.

If Pioli doesn't take the job, but I still think he will, then you might have an option with Parcells. But Parcells won't come near Cleveland as long as his son-in-law (Pioli is still in the picture). But, I don't know if I want the NFL's version of Larry Brown or not. It's like rent a VP/GM and give him the keys until he gets tired.

If we don't land Pioli then where do we go from there? Any other GM available?

IMHO with McKay likely out of the browns picture if pioli doesnt accept that would leave the big tuna and beyond that we would be very lucky to land a gm/coach that could stablize the browns in 3-4 years and make us more consistant but you never know an unlikely 3rd alternative could turn out to be a hidden treasure or a full scale disaster...

My source from the inside was telling us Pioli was the choice and 3 weeks ago and that a deal was basically done.

That said, I also shudder to think of another candidate at this point. My biggest fear is having to settle for our 3rd or 4th choice as we did for Savage. Look where that got us.

My source from the inside was telling us Pioli was the choice and 3 weeks ago and that a deal was basically done.

That said, I also shudder to think of another candidate at this point. My biggest fear is having to settle for our 3rd or 4th choice as we did for Savage. Look where that got us.

As long as you don't give sole control to a rookie GM like they did with Savage then a 3rd or 4th choice may end up being a great find. Their are plenty excellent Player Personnel guys in the league that are ready to take the next step, but you have to team them with an experienced coach.

Would the GM matter as much if they brought in Shanahan? Would it matter if they brought in Ernie Accorsi or Ron Wolf to mentor a young GM. Sometimes we get afraid of the unknown but all these successful coaches and GMs around the league were unknowns once.

The real key is how you bring them along. I believe that Savage could have been good if you had a good football man as VP of football operations to guide him. Also give the coach a equal say in decisions. If everybody buys in and are on the same page then you have a better chance of it working.

Charley Casserly is a good football man and is well respected around the league. He was a good GM in Washington, he just had an asshole owner who kept changing coaches over his head. I just wouldn't want to give him sole authority of the Browns. Bring in a Mangini and Casserly with a VP above them and you have a very solid team. A winning team.

So, I not worried about Pioli. I'm more worried that we don't get the right coach to match up with a GM and we end up with two guys on separate pages fighting over who to draft and who to release like we just had.

I really, really would love to have Shanahan. Can you imagine what he'd be able to do with Cribbs and the Flash offense? My God, the possibilities are endless. No more fat tubs of Crenllian lard staring off into space dreaming about his next scheduled consumption of fat globules while his offense flounders in uncreative degradation.

Think of how powerful our offense could be with Quinn, who is mobile himself, and Cribbs throwing out of the pocket every now and then. Shanahan is a master of exploiting mismatches. It's why a mediocre quarterback like Jay Cutler could throw for so many yards (and why I'm sure he's now worrying about his future over in Denver). He'll use KW and BE to their full potential.

The only catch, of course, is that if he's given GM power we will be destined for mediocrity. If he wants full control I'd much rather Lerner didn't bother with him. But if he's willing to just focus on being a coach, he'd be the best long-term choice by a long shot.

I like Rich McKay...and contrary to some reports, we are not allowed to interview him until his team is out of the playoffs.

I am with you Ballpeen..I also am a Mckay fan..not that i mind Pioli...but i do not know one person excited about Ferentz..hell that is who Savage wnated to bring in all along...Piolis resume is very nice...and its as a full on GM and higher....seems most wrote of Mckay after the interview was canceled but I also have read many reports about the league helping the browns to wait on that so they did not get fined...I guess that is a very complicated area with the playoffs...

Seems most are warm to the Idea of Mangini though..i thought more of an uproar would be caused by this..but i am torn on him as he could turn the corner into great or he could stay around avereage at best...sadly an average HC is a huge boost from where we were...

For some reason, Mangini just seems like the right choice. I guess its because he's and NFL man and with the stories coming out in recent days, he was saddled with a tough situation with old man Favre and still just missed the playoffs.

Players like him, he's tough, and has ties to Cleveland. I think Lerner should stick to his intuition on this one.

The good news is we've yet to hear a bad option.

I like McKay and he didn't say he wasn't interested in the Cleveland job. He just told Lerner that when he has exhausted his other choices then they could talk. The man doesn't want to be used like a pawn to force Pioli to say yes or no. I like that.

I also like Charley Casserly. He schooled under Bobby Beathard, in Washington, who may have been one of the best GMs ever. Together they built the Hogs and won super bowls. He was NFL executive of the year in 1999, he made the draft day deal with Ditka and still brought in Champ Bailey. Then he was fired by Dan Snyder, because Snyder wanted more control of the team. Now that is one asshole owner. He was the GM when Houston was awarded it's franchise and made one bad misjudgement, he drafted Carr first. But, he was let go for drafting Mario Williams instead of Vince Young or Reggie Bush. In hindsight, he made a great choice. The man has experience and doesn't have a giant ego. I've listened to him on the NFL network and he is a very astute talent evaluator and knows the game. The best part, he doesn't want absolute power, he believes in equal say for GM and HC.

I would like to see Lerner at least go talk to the man. If for nothing more, he could gain a little insight into how team FO operations are outside of NE.

Archived