THE BROWNS BOARD

From Pluto

alporcini

"Part of the Browns' problem in 2008 was a huge split between the front office and coaching staff over several players. That led to finger pointing from both directions. "

i've read that Law was one... who are some of the others?

if just for his special teams play alone, i still would have preferred Chaun Thompson to Shantee Orr......

whose decision was Stallworth?

Hadnot?

Uhm, Quinn?

Of course, Phil and RAC seemed to both be drinking plenty of DA-kool aid. I've read Lerner wanted Quinn to start game #1 in 2007.

Of course, you're right about the use of Quinn, my duh...

but was Romeo dead set against drafting BQ in the first place?

or was it just that DA saved his ass last year?

Of course, you're right about the use of Quinn, my duh...

but was Romeo dead set against drafting BQ in the first place?

or was it just that DA saved his ass last year?

Yeah, if Romeo was against drafting Quinn, then he was more clueless than we thought. The Browns had the highest rated draft of the year.

Back to your point though, this would have caused the discord. Agree. I never got the feeling RAC was the reason the Browns did well last year - like many. I still say it was weak schedule + low IR.

"Part of the Browns' problem in 2008 was a huge split between the front office and coaching staff over several players. That led to finger pointing from both directions. "

i've read that Law was one... who are some of the others?

if just for his special teams play alone, i still would have preferred Chaun Thompson to Shantee Orr......

whose decision was Stallworth?

Hadnot?

Harrison is the obvious one. Rucker could be another. He (Rucker) was on the team all year and got

little playing time even with Winslow down. Alex Hall could be another. He started out fine but

gradually lost time. The total disappearence of Kameron Wimbley could be another sore point.Brady

Quinn,etc.etc.etc.

I think it was obvious early on that RAC and savage were not on the same page and did not have the same philosophy, it was a recipe for disaster.

RAC was dead set against playing any younger guys even though the vets were clearly not performing. I don't know if that was due to his man love for vets, or he really had no faith in the guys Phil brought in.

RAC's refusal to play Harrison even though the kid did nothing but make plays was mind boggling on a whole nuther' level.

Either way we got both of them out of town, and now it's clear that whoever we bring in, the GM needs to hire the coach so he gets the guy he wants and they can be on the same page win or lose.

Yeah Spec the whole scenario was rather disturbing even to watch old man willy get his token weekend takle...much like Newsome getting his token catch toward the end...playing the beat up vets just didnt make sense..

I think it was obvious early on that RAC and savage were not on the same page and did not have the same philosophy, it was a recipe for disaster.

RAC was dead set against playing any younger guys even though the vets were clearly not performing. I don't know if that was due to his man love for vets, or he really had no faith in the guys Phil brought in.

RAC's refusal to play Harrison even though the kid did nothing but make plays was mind boggling on a whole nuther' level.

Either way we got both of them out of town, and now it's clear that whoever we bring in, the GM needs to hire the coach so he gets the guy he wants and they can be on the same page win or lose.

That's the only thing that bothers me about Pioli demanding "absolute power". I want a group that works like a team. Now, I don't know what "absolute power" is to Pioli, but if it is hiring the assistants and drafting players that the coach doesn't feel comfortable with, then aren't we heading down the same road?

Giving Pioli a deadline would have been a good idea. If he still cant make up his mind by the end then he was not that interested in us anyways and hence not worth it.

I think he wants the job, but only under his conditions. As the owner of the Browns Lerner better be 100% comfortable with his selection. If he has reservations about who he will bring in as HC or how he will use his absolute power, then he better talk to some other guys.

absolute power ? Does that include absolute responsibility ? One thing has me worried is that New England and Pittsburgh are systems ... a coherent systems that works so efficiently and hand in hand that if one goes down another unproven guy can easily slot in and learn while the system stills runs.

We are not getting the whole system system ... we are only borrowing parts from them and putting them into our broken system. So no guarantees Piloi is so important that he has to be given absolute power. Also, how much of the success NE had is attributed to just Pioli and not their system ?

Sounds like the Browns will be giving Pioli the same power that Phil had. If the GM and coach truely work together most decisions will be mutual. And, the times when they disagree at least the coach will know exactly the reason he didn't get his way. I doubt it will be because we drafted this player and to save my reputation we need to keep him at least three years...

Guest 88fingerslewy

Ultimate say should never go to the GM or Dir. of Player Personnel. There's the word "Fetch" used so much on this board recently and it should be directed from the HC to the Personnel Dept.

Coach: This is what I need

GM: OK, let me work on it, I'll get back to ya.

It SHOULN'T BE!!!!

GM: Here's who I want you to have.

Coach: YA, but we need a XX not a YY.

Bring in the best coach available. Let him do an assessment with HIS chosen assistants and return to the personnel dept. with his needs.

GM's are important but shouldn't dictate THEIR philosophy to the coach.

Archived