THE BROWNS BOARD

McDaniels gives Quinn the best chance to succeed

OconRecon

Just a thought, which many here may have had, as stated in the article below. Not really a heavy handed position.

He did well with young QB Cassell and its a system Quinn is familiar with. The Browns struggled mightly under the Chud system this year, so time for a change anyway. I guess I forgot about all of this as I just kept thinking to myself "He's only 32 years old". Also, perhaps Pioli and Lerner were just waiting for Friday's McDaniels interview prior to moving forward.

Lerner, McDaniels talk: McKinley grad could help Quinn

By Steve Doerschuk

CantonRep.com staff report

Posted Jan 02, 2009 @ 10:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEREA — That New England triangle — Pioli, Mangini and McDaniels — became the focus as Randy Lerner wrapped up the first week of his great talent search.

The Browns’ owner interviewed Josh McDaniels for the Browns’ head coaching opening Friday, as he suggested he would on Monday.

Lerner interviewed Scott Pioli for the GM job and Eric Mangini for the head coaching job earlier in the week. Pioli, Mangini and McDaniels were together on the Patriots’ last Super Bowl winner, in the 2004 season.

One view of a Browns’ dream team would be:

* Pioli in the GM spot, applying his nine years with the Patriots (they are 116-45 in that span with four Super Bowl trips) to Cleveland.

* McDaniels as head coach, the only way he would come to Cleveland, since he already is offensive coordinator with the Patriots.

* Mangini helping to run the defense, if he can’t get a head coaching job elsewhere in 2009 — and indications are he won’t.

* Romeo Crennel helping with the defense. Crennel is willing to stay, although roles would have to be worked out, and he and Mangini are good friends.

That is far from the only view.

Lerner is arranging assorted options that might have to be pursued.

He interviewed hot coaching candidate Steve Spagnuolo on New Year’s Eve, knowing he had to catch the Giants’ defensive coordinator this week or risk losing the opportunity until after the Super Bowl.

He isn’t saying what’s up with Kirk Ferentz, who has revived his career at Iowa and became a Pioli ally when they worked together on Bill Belichick’s Browns in the 1990s.

McDaniels might be a great fit for Browns quarterback Brady Quinn.

“I know him through Charlie Weis,” Quinn said this week.

McDaniels was quarterbacks coach on New England’s last Super Bowl winner, when Weis was offensive coordinator. Weis then jumped to Notre Dame, where his quarterback in 2004 and ‘05 was Quinn.

McDaniels winning the Cleveland head coaching job might be a best-case scenario for Quinn in terms of landing in an offense he can pick up in a snap.

McDaniels has the mind of a quarterback. He excelled at the position at Canton McKinley, where his father was the head coach, himself a former quarterback.

McDaniels began working with Tom Brady as New England’s quarterbacks coach when Brady was already established. However, McDaniels greatly enhanced his resume this year when Brady went on injured reserve early, and Matt Cassel became one of the league’s top passers despite not starting since high school.

McDaniels’ potential to stabilize a position that has mostly been a disaster in Cleveland is a major selling point.

The big question with McDaniels is the readiness factor. At 32, he would be the youngest head coach in the league

I would like to see this scenario except for Mangini calling the shots as head coach and McDaniels as our OC. Unfortunately, we all know that is impossible.

I just don't think the timing is right for McDaniels for this team. This team sorely lacks veteran leadership. Willie tried these past couple years but didn't get the support from the rest of the veterans in the lockerroom (this team missed Joe J. more this year than we probably appreciate). A team with solid veteran leadership (i.e. the Colts, Steelers, Patriots) could allow a young coordinator to come in and be the head coach because there would be some policing within the lockerroom.

Therefore, McDaniels might be in over his head with the lockerroom discipline dynamic because he'll be spending so much time devising weekly game plans for his offense. He's a fantastic young coordinator and his time will come, but it shouldn't be in '09 with the Cleveland Browns.

Mangini, on the other hand, wasn't afraid to call out Green Bay's football Jesus for piss-poor decision making at crucial times just like he would have with any other veteran on the planet. That scores points with me and certainly would with the Jets players. I can already see him getting on Braylon's case for his mistakes.

Mangini, on the other hand, wasn't afraid to call out Green Bay's football Jesus for piss-poor decision making at crucial times just like he would have with any other veteran on the planet. That scores points with me and certainly would with the Jets players. I can already see him getting on Braylon's case for his mistakes.

Mangini sure seems like RAC's opposite and that's fine by me. McDaniel's could be no more than last year's Jason Garrett just because they have one hot year or two as an assistant with one group of of guy's there going to be the Bill Cower. Last year many of wanted RAC replaced with Chud. I think I'd rather have someone who's been a head coach of of something before I would hire one these one year wonder boy's.

Does anyone think Mcdaniels gets the job if we dont nail Pioli? I sure hope so.

Mcdaniels makes too much sense, He's a local guy (so Im guessing he was a Browns fan), He played QB & WR at John Carrol, He worked with Weiss (Quinns College coach) and runs the same or a similiar offense. It looks as if he is the perfect fit, Tom Brady even said that Mcdaniels was responsible for hlping him become who he is, same with Matt Cassel. This guy is a Stud, and at the age of 32 we can get 30 years out of him.

I dont think this guy brings Belicheck coffee, from what I understand, Bill handed Mcdaniels the Offense and works with the defense

Archived