THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the NFL PLayoffs

Zombo

It's playoff time, lots of good hard-hitting matchups and this thing really looks wide open: After seeing Wild Cards march all the way on the road the past three years, the feeling has to be that anyone can win this thing, and you look for the "hot" team at the end of the season:

Problem is, there are a lot of "hot" teams:

Indy has won 8 in a row.

Miami has won 5 in a row.

San Diego has won four in a row.

Minnesota has won 5 of 6.

Atlanta has won 5 of 6.

Baltiwhore has won 5 of 6.

Philly has won 4 of 5.

Carolina has won 4 of 5.

And then there are the traditional favorites, the teams with homefield advantage throughout: the Giants and Titans.

The only teams you can really eliminate are Arizona, which stumbled to the finish in a weak division and have no running game; and Pittsburgh, which choked hard with a chance to take homefield away from the Titans, and then inexplicably played their starting QB in a meaningless game the next week and saw him get pounded to the turf and carted off on a stretcher.

One of the tougher picks this weekend is Baltiwhore at Miami, two teams that were just dreadful last season and came to life with coaching changes (I like that storyline for a certain team next year). There's been some discussion on the board this week about the Ravens being the "Old Browns" etc. And you know, they are exactly right: The Ravens are the Old Browns. And as long as they have our front office guys (Newsome), our draft picks (Ray Lewis) and our players (Matt Stover), they are just the Old Browns, and not a legitimate NFL franchise. Maybe someday the Ravens will stand on their own as a true Baltimore team, but for now they are just our sloppy seconds (to borrow a hockey phrase), and Baltimore should continue to be shrouded in shame for their gutless and despicable move.

Meanwhile, the team we root for is THE Cleveland Browns. They wear Seal Brown and Orange, they play next to the Lake, their all-time leading rusher is a man named Jim Brown, their original coach is a man named Paul Brown, and their fans are the best, and most loyal, in all of sport, despite enduring hardships that lesser fans would have walked away from a long time ago. And yeah ... they suck right now, and haven't been very good since the rebirth. But we love 'em anyway. We are proud to be fans of THE Cleveland Browns, and we have no doubt that our years of loyalty to this team will be rewarded and the Browns will once again taste glory in the NFL ...and it will be oh, so sweet. In the meantime, I still get pumped up rooting for them even when they are setting records for ineptness ... they're my Browns. And, as we have proven, you can't take them away.

Atlanta at Arizona, Saturday, 4:30 PM

You can't blame the Cardinals for passing, when they have Bouldin and Fitgerald and Breaston hauling in passes from Kurt Warner. But if they get past Atlanta, they get stomped in a cold weather game with no running game, there is no doubt about it. But I don't think they are even getting past the fundamentally sound Falcons who have a better defense, a real running game and a rookie QB who doesn't know he is a rookie. FALCONS 30 CARDINALS 27

Indianapolis at San Diego Saturday, 8:00 PM

Peyton Manning is rightfully being rewarded for a remarkable in-season turnaround of his team this year ... but how money is Tony Dungy? Every year he has this team doing the right things and winning double-digit games. They are solid, innovative and disciplined every single year ... in other words, they are not coached by Norv Turner. Which is why I like the Colts even more now that the games Really matter. COLTS 30 CHARGERS 20

Baltimore at Miami, Sunday, 1:00 PM

Is there a more consummate professional than Chad Pennington? Here are his numbers: 43-34 as a starter (not on great teams either) 101 TDs to 62 INTs, lifetime Passer Rating of 90.6 ... and New York threw him away like a piece of garbage. And you have never heard Pennington whine once, not even when he came back from drastic injury and had to endure all the "weak-armed" sportstalk in NY. Who benches this guy for Kellen Clemens? Oh, that's right ...the guy we interviewed for head coach this past week ... oye vay. I know Baltiwhore has the defense and the three headed running back and all ... but I don't trust Flacco, and I do trust Pennington. DOLPHINS 23 RAVENS 20 OT

Philadelphia at Minnesota, Sunday, 4:30 PM

Good matchup. I had this crazy notion that Adrian Peterson was the guy to draft a couple years ago. I had a camp all set up and everything ... we had drink specials, hot chicks, everything you can imagine in Camp AP ... But we took the solid Left Tackle and I'm not going to complain ... not even now that Jamal Lewis is about officially done and AP has 3,101 yards 5.2 yards per carry and 22 TDs in 24 starts and has a team quarterbacked by Gus Freaking Ferrotte and Tavaris Freaking Jackson in the playoffs ... I'm not saying a word ... But Brady Quinn handing off to Adrian Peterson would have been kind of cool even behind a free agent left tackle. Speaking of QBs though, Minnesota doesn't have one and Philly has a real good one, so my pick is EAGLES 24 VIKINGS 10

Zombo

What the hell, I'll throw in my 16 cents.

Atlanta @ Arizona ... The Cardinals ARE the 2007 Cleveland Browns (without the maniacal fans, or any fans for that matter.) They feasted on a cake schedule early and have been dragging ass since about week 10. They have a passing game and that's about it. I can think of 5 teams that deserve a playoff spot over these guys, but playing in a division with the Clams, Designers and Seahags does have it's benefits. The Falcons have been amazing. I knew Michael Turner would have a stellar year and give them a boost, but I don't think anyone had ANY idea how solid Matt Ryan would be this season. Props to the Falcons for cleaning up their act and fielding a good solid football team.

FALCONS 34 CARDINALS 17

Indianapolis @ San Diego .... The Colts started slow and then simply caught fire. Peyton is still the MVP of the Manning family as well as the NFL. Nobody wants to play these guys right now. Unfortunately the Norv Turner bled .... ummm, I mean LED Chargers get to receive the beating. It appears LaLabia Tomlinson is nursing his vajayjay again which greatly diminishes San Diego's already faint hopes.

COLTS 41 CHARGERS 20

Theftimore @ Miami .... The Rats are the better team in many ways and have received one last stellar season from Ray Ray's thug defense. Flacco has played over his head and been on the high side of lucky all season. The running back committee has kept Scummymore in games they should not have been in. Miami's turnaround looks miraculous until you look upstairs and see the Tuna up there pulling the strings. It's amazing what can be accomplished when you just cut the deadwood. I'm still laughing at the Jets for cutting lose Chad Pennington in favor of Queen Favre. The fish upset the Team That Should Not Be.

DOLPHINS 23 FLYING RATS 17

Philadelphia @ Minnesota .... The Beagles had their playoff game last week by demolishing the Tony Homo's. BTW, that nickname is now deserved after he apparently took a broomstick to the cooter in the shower after last week's reaming in an apparent football remake of Chained Heat. The Beagles have been hot, but I'm not sold on them at all. Do you suppose McNabb knows this game cannot end in a tie? Don't count on it. The Vikings aren't much to speak of either with Adrian Peterson pretty much being all the horsepower on this team. Still, I think the Vikes will get it done in front of the apathetic Baggiedome crowd.

VIKINGS 24 EAGLES 21

Doug

Guest Ghoolie

Arizona will pee on Dimitroff, Take the cards at home where they are 6 -2

Petersen is too much for Philly

Baltimore roughs up Miami

I ll go all out radical, the Colts go home early.

Jesus, Ghoolie, you certainly have a lot invested in the lack-of-success for Belichick prodigies, dontcha?

You're willing to argue against the sky being blue just to prove how intelligent a contrarian you are.

Jesus, Ghoolie, you certainly have a lot invested in the lack-of-success for Belichick prodigies, dontcha?

You're willing to argue against the sky being blue just to prove how intelligent a contrarian you are.

Nah, he just wanted to pick the opposite of me so, in case I'm wrong, he can come in here and proudly declare how he is all-seeing and talk about my pee pee.

If I'm right, then we don't hear from him. All the more reason to have a rooting interest.

Zombo

Guest Ghoolie

Ah, yes, and how did my "contrarian" view turn out. Ooooops, once again I out picked the experts and all you brainiacs.

Look man, the only reason I am a "contrarian" is because you guys aren't very smart when it comes to football.

Look, this isn't about some bullshit, meaningless NFL pat-each-other-on-the-ass awards. People who serve with geniuses, BY COMMON SENSE definition, are not likely to be geniuses themselves, but instead will indeed be yes men, men who do WTF they are told, men who are NOT CALLED UPON TO MAKE DECISIONS.

Hey, but you guys know better than I do; You understand shit like a QB who has NEVER been recognized as being a teacher, all of a sudden being a mentor for Charlie Shit Frye.

Look dude, ON AOL I called it out that Bill Belichik would be a SB head coach BEFORE the Browns ever went to a SB.

That didn't go over too well either, but I was dead ass MF on. Hoorta has substantiated my 1995 claim right here on several occasions.

Nobody predicted Sewage and Crennel being a failure sooner than I did and it had to do with LIFE, and COMMON sense.

You might not like to hear it, but the collection of assholes Lerner is looking at are indeed assholes and they will be no net improvement in this team. I am actually okay with Mangini or Shanahan. The rest can blow me.

Guest Masters
You might not like to hear it, but the collection of assholes Lerner is looking at are indeed assholes and they will be no net improvement in this team. I am actually okay with Mangini or Shanahan. The rest can blow me.

But Mangini was a BB coffee fetcher.

Guest Masters

Oh, and Ghoolie, good call on ARZ winning today. I really didn't think they could do it, nor did I think they'd wise up and start giving James the ball again. The home record didn't impress me since half of them were against their division.

Tip of the cap.

Guest Masters

For tomorrow, I will take BALT and Philly.

BALT has to much talent on D, and has already showed it can shut down the "wild cat" offense of MIA. Plus MIA still has Pennington at QB. While he is solid, his lower arm strength will kill MIA when BALT is shutting down the run and loading the box. Plus MIA has no real deep threat at WR.

Philly and McNabb have owned MIN. They have beat better MIN teams in the playoffs before. Not to mention MIN HC is a putz. To much McNabb, Westbrook, and the crazy blitz from Philly D against wanna be QB Jackson. Peterson will make his plays, but not enough to carry MIN to a win. Probably will also have at least one fumble.

On teh rare occasion you are correct you have come on this board calling yourself the Great Zomboni and prancing about like an elf.

Really, the only people that think I'm being self-important are the really dumb posters and the Steeler fans ... unfortunately, you qualify as both, so I can see why you bite harder than anyone else.

We have an actual contest every year where we all pick the games each week, all year long, and I won it the last two times I entered, so ... you're just not really going make me feel bad that I picked a couple playoff games wrong ... it's not going to happen.

Looks like Doug got 'em wrong too, and he's running away with the bowl picks. In fact, anybody that picked the team with the better record got them both wrong. Opening the door for contrarians and baboons.

As far as the regular season picks I post on here, yeah I have fun with it, everybody gets it, I always trap a couple dumb monkeys ... and you.

Zombo

--Dance, Baboon, Dance!

Guest ATENEARS

I'm glad the Cards won, I was pulling for'em and just don't like Atlanta at all.

Could San Diego play any better? Those punts just neutralized Manning. That sucks that the Colts are out because I think they would wax the Steelers. Zippy hit it on the head dissing Norv Turner ... that has choke city written all over it.

I cleaned up this thread. For supposedly one of our own to smear someone's quality work is assine. Zippy had plenty of substance in his picks, if you didn't agree, than debate the substance. This forum won't turn into topics about a member here.

Guest Ghoolie
I'm glad the Cards won, I was pulling for'em and just don't like Atlanta at all.

Could San Diego play any better? Those punts just neutralized Manning. That sucks that the Colts are out because I think they would wax the Steelers. Zippy hit it on the head dissing Norv Turner ... that has choke city written all over it.

I cleaned up this thread. For supposedly one of our own to smear someone's quality work is assine. Zippy had plenty of substance in his picks, if you didn't agree, than debate the substance. This forum won't turn into topics about a member here.

Well, again, if you look at the thread that is left, I personally did NOTHING to cause flames. All I did was drop in and post that

San Diego

Arizona

Baltimore

Minnesota

were my picks. I gave a few short comments as to why and I left it.

The very next post was NOT a comment on my picks, but a comment on me.

WTF? Are you guys that frail and fragile that my picking teams that you don't like is considered flaming?

My being 3 for 3 now I am sure has the lot of you fuming. Amazing how the two guys who get blasted the most here are the ones who are most often correct.

Pioli is a loser.

Ah, yes, and how did my "contrarian" view turn out. Ooooops, once again I out picked the experts and all you brainiacs.

Look man, the only reason I am a "contrarian" is because you guys aren't very smart when it comes to football.

Your "throwing shit against a wall" picks aside (which nobody gives a crap about anyhow), it was the dropping Dimitroff in there for no good reason besides reinforcing the coffee-fetcher point (which nobody gives a crap about anyhow), was lame. Why else would you bring up the GM in a playoff matchup?

It's playoff time, lots of good hard-hitting matchups and this thing really looks wide open: After seeing Wild Cards march all the way on the road the past three years, the feeling has to be that anyone can win this thing, and you look for the "hot" team at the end of the season:

Problem is, there are a lot of "hot" teams:

Indy has won 8 in a row.

Miami has won 5 in a row.

San Diego has won four in a row.

Minnesota has won 5 of 6.

Atlanta has won 5 of 6.

Baltiwhore has won 5 of 6.

Philly has won 4 of 5.

Carolina has won 4 of 5.

And then there are the traditional favorites, the teams with homefield advantage throughout: the Giants and Titans.

The only teams you can really eliminate are Arizona, which stumbled to the finish in a weak division and have no running game; and Pittsburgh, which choked hard with a chance to take homefield away from the Titans, and then inexplicably played their starting QB in a meaningless game the next week and saw him get pounded to the turf and carted off on a stretcher.

One of the tougher picks this weekend is Baltiwhore at Miami, two teams that were just dreadful last season and came to life with coaching changes (I like that storyline for a certain team next year). There's been some discussion on the board this week about the Ravens being the "Old Browns" etc. And you know, they are exactly right: The Ravens are the Old Browns. And as long as they have our front office guys (Newsome), our draft picks (Ray Lewis) and our players (Matt Stover), they are just the Old Browns, and not a legitimate NFL franchise. Maybe someday the Ravens will stand on their own as a true Baltimore team, but for now they are just our sloppy seconds (to borrow a hockey phrase), and Baltimore should continue to be shrouded in shame for their gutless and despicable move.

Meanwhile, the team we root for is THE Cleveland Browns. They wear Seal Brown and Orange, they play next to the Lake, their all-time leading rusher is a man named Jim Brown, their original coach is a man named Paul Brown, and their fans are the best, and most loyal, in all of sport, despite enduring hardships that lesser fans would have walked away from a long time ago. And yeah ... they suck right now, and haven't been very good since the rebirth. But we love 'em anyway. We are proud to be fans of THE Cleveland Browns, and we have no doubt that our years of loyalty to this team will be rewarded and the Browns will once again taste glory in the NFL ...and it will be oh, so sweet. In the meantime, I still get pumped up rooting for them even when they are setting records for ineptness ... they're my Browns. And, as we have proven, you can't take them away.

Atlanta at Arizona, Saturday, 4:30 PM

You can't blame the Cardinals for passing, when they have Bouldin and Fitgerald and Breaston hauling in passes from Kurt Warner. But if they get past Atlanta, they get stomped in a cold weather game with no running game, there is no doubt about it. But I don't think they are even getting past the fundamentally sound Falcons who have a better defense, a real running game and a rookie QB who doesn't know he is a rookie. FALCONS 30 CARDINALS 27

Indianapolis at San Diego Saturday, 8:00 PM

Peyton Manning is rightfully being rewarded for a remarkable in-season turnaround of his team this year ... but how money is Tony Dungy? Every year he has this team doing the right things and winning double-digit games. They are solid, innovative and disciplined every single year ... in other words, they are not coached by Norv Turner. Which is why I like the Colts even more now that the games Really matter. COLTS 30 CHARGERS 20

Baltimore at Miami, Sunday, 1:00 PM

Is there a more consummate professional than Chad Pennington? Here are his numbers: 43-34 as a starter (not on great teams either) 101 TDs to 62 INTs, lifetime Passer Rating of 90.6 ... and New York threw him away like a piece of garbage. And you have never heard Pennington whine once, not even when he came back from drastic injury and had to endure all the "weak-armed" sportstalk in NY. Who benches this guy for Kellen Clemens? Oh, that's right ...the guy we interviewed for head coach this past week ... oye vay. I know Baltiwhore has the defense and the three headed running back and all ... but I don't trust Flacco, and I do trust Pennington. DOLPHINS 23 RAVENS 20 OT

Philadelphia at Minnesota, Sunday, 4:30 PM

Good matchup. I had this crazy notion that Adrian Peterson was the guy to draft a couple years ago. I had a camp all set up and everything ... we had drink specials, hot chicks, everything you can imagine in Camp AP ... But we took the solid Left Tackle and I'm not going to complain ... not even now that Jamal Lewis is about officially done and AP has 3,101 yards 5.2 yards per carry and 22 TDs in 24 starts and has a team quarterbacked by Gus Freaking Ferrotte and Tavaris Freaking Jackson in the playoffs ... I'm not saying a word ... But Brady Quinn handing off to Adrian Peterson would have been kind of cool even behind a free agent left tackle. Speaking of QBs though, Minnesota doesn't have one and Philly has a real good one, so my pick is EAGLES 24 VIKINGS 10

Zombo

1 out of 4 Zombo right on the money as always. I cant wait until you predict this weeks games cause it's obvious you will pick the Steelers to lose and judging by how your picks went this week since you were wrong on mostly all of them looks like you will in all likelihood be wrong again this week as well. But hey after the guarantee win last week and saying Gradkowski would light the Steelers up were are use to it by now.

it's obvious you will pick the Steelers to lose

It's obvious to you, and me, and everyone else.

Yet you will still come over here and squawk.

I can only attribute it to lack of intelligence.

Zombo

Archived