THE BROWNS BOARD

Mort says Mangini in the lead

OconRecon

Sources: Mangini had 'compelling' interview

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

Updated: January 3, 2009, 4:55 PM ET

Eric Mangini, fired Monday by the New York Jets, is emerging as the favorite to become the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, team and league sources said Saturday.

The Browns have continued their search process, interviewing other candidates, but sources say Mangini had a "compelling" interview and owner Randy Lerner is fascinated with him.

If Mangini gets the job to replace the fired Romeo Crennel, the sources said the favorite to become the team's general manager would be George Kokinis, who is the director of pro personnel for the Baltimore Ravens.

Kokinis and Mangini each were members of the Browns organization when Bill Belichick was coach. Mangini formally joined the staff as an assistant coach in 1995. Kokinis was a scout from 1991 to 1995 before moving with the team to Baltimore.

Scott Pioli, the Patriots' executive vice president of player personnel, has been considered the favorite for the GM job, but sources say his demands were "extreme," and Lerner is hesitant to accept the terms unless there is some level of compromise.

Pioli is scheduled to interview with the Kansas City Chiefs no later than Monday.

If Pioli is hired, the leading head coaching candidates are believed to be Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, who also has interviewed with Lerner. McDaniels has not been ruled out after an impressive interview Friday, one team source said.

As the list of names indicate, Lerner keeps reaching for the Belichick tree -- from Pioli, to Ferentz (who worked with Pioli in Cleveland), to Mangini, to Kokinis, to McDaniels.

Even though Kokinis would be the leading GM candidate with Mangini as coach, current Browns director of player personnel T.J. McCreight also is in the running.

Lerner's firing of former GM Phil Savage had little or nothing to do with Savage's personnel decisions; Lerner specifically said the dismissal stemmed from a difference in "management style."

Chris Mortensen is a senior NFL analyst for ESPN.

Nothing wrong with mangini he needed to make his DC tighten his zone coverage up some but other than that he got a raw deal from the jets if mangini where the boss with a good personnel guy that could be a winner..

Schwartz is an interesting guy as well..i still think randy is doing a good job of covering every possible option with the exception of Deadwieght McCrieght,chudumbski or tucker i would hire a gorilla from a zoo before even considering those monkeys....

Randy needs to relieve a lot of people of their jobs to fix things right.. to bad he doesnt have the guts to do it himself so the new regime gets stuck with that right off the bat but if the new regime is good or better...the housecleaning will be done in less than a week..

BTW, McDaniels was said to have had a very strong interview.

Yeah, but so did everyone else. I think Lerner is easily impressed. Not that I don't like Josh, mind you, but I don't think Lerner should be hiring a HC again. If he needs a GM, let him hire the HC.

Yeah, but so did everyone else. I think Lerner is easily impressed. Not that I don't like Josh, mind you, but I don't think Lerner should be hiring a HC again. If he needs a GM, let him hire the HC.

I think randy is interviewing a bunch of very impressive prospects that are impressing him...;)

We on this board are a bunch of picky stickler bastages whom each see differently on the same choices the fact is almost everyone lerner has interviewed with 3 exceptions are capable of taking the browns where we want to go in almost any combination of them except. tailtucker.chudumbski and Deadwieght McCreight and we know why lerner interviewed "tailtucker the pressureless" but why lerner looked at deadwiegt mccrate is beyond me...

Ugh. Pats and Ravens are really struggling. One stumbled into a bunch of Super Bowl wins and the other was 11-5 with a rookie quarterback this year. Like we need THAT shit in Cleveland!

Ugh.

Come on, guys. It just seems like the posting has descended with the return of Ghoolie. Like he started a brain rot or something.

Did you really think the conversation would get better with Ghoolie and Rich posting their shit and stirring the pot.

Mangini isn't nearly the question mark RAC was since has been a HC before.

Lerner isn't a rookie owner anymore as well....owners grow in to the job as does any other position with a team. His ability to talk to people from a football perspective has to be improved from a few years ago....and it wasn't just Lerner who though RAC would be a good selection....many across the league thought he was a solid hire.

I like the idea of Mangini. He knows what mistakes he may have made in NY and can change that here.

If Pioli can't deal with that....no big deal...the coach is the important hire.

Ugh. Pats and Ravens are really struggling. One stumbled into a bunch of Super Bowl wins and the other was 11-5 with a rookie quarterback this year. Like we need THAT shit in Cleveland!

Ugh.

Come on, guys. It just seems like the posting has descended with the return of Ghoolie. Like he started a brain rot or something.

No need to be condescending about it, it's a legitimate concern. It's been expressed several times that we need a cohesive unit between the management and coaches. We tried that same scenerio (Baltimore and New England) and it clearly didn't work. I'd rather go with taking a GM and letting him pick his coach (even if it's Pioli and Ferentz, or McDaniels). Or pick another GM, and let him be a part of the coach selection process. I'm sorry if I don't trust Lerner's ability to put these two together.

I just don't like the idea of Learner piecing together a staff like he did the last time.

Assuming that's true, why would hiring a GM first make any difference? Wouldn't the botched decision just be made one step higher on the chain of command?

Dennis

Did you really think the conversation would get better with Ghoolie and Rich posting their shit and stirring the pot.

TELL US ALL AGAIN .................."IN SEWAGE WE TRUST" A THOUSAND...........TIMES....that was you genius get the courage to tell everyone HOW FRIGGING WRONG YOU HAVE BEEN ABOUT NEARLY EVERYTHING FOR THREE YEARS instead whining to everyone about rich and ghoolie.....it is too sad that a 60 year old man whines and crybabies like an infant baby without a bottle............you are a pathetic human I feel sorry for you..............disgusting

Nothing wrong with mangini he needed to make his DC tighten his zone coverage up some but other than that he got a raw deal from the jets if mangini where the boss with a good personnel guy that could be a winner..

Schwartz is an interesting guy as well..i still think randy is doing a good job of covering every possible option with the exception of Deadwieght McCrieght,chudumbski or tucker i would hire a gorilla from a zoo before even considering those monkeys....

Randy needs to relieve a lot of people of their jobs to fix things right.. to bad he doesnt have the guts to do it himself so the new regime gets stuck with that right off the bat but if the new regime is good or better...the housecleaning will be done in less than a week..

I'm sorry but what is it about McCreight that turns you off. Can you name one thing he personally screwed up or are you just lumping him together with Savage. The man did a fine job coordinating the scouting department and is a very fine evaluator of talent. Do you know it was TJ that talked Cribbs into coming here? Do you know was against bringing in Cory Williams for a 2nd round draft pick and told Savage not to sign Stallworth. He wanted to take that 2nd round pick and draft a LB. He sided with RAC and wanted to bring in Law before the season started.

So, tell us all why he is a "Deadweight".

Assuming that's true, why would hiring a GM first make any difference? Wouldn't the botched decision just be made one step higher on the chain of command?

Dennis

My concern stems from the fact that we've already seen what happens when a GM does not hire the HC. Savage didn't hire RAC, but he did eventually take the power to hire the OC and DC away from RAC. That is not synergy, that is meddling. Micromanagement. If there is going to be a decisiion for HC, I would let the GM hire him. Also, if the philosophy of the GM and HC are not the same, then there will be disagreements regarding who to draft and for what positions.

I'm sorry but what is it about McCreight that turns you off. Can you name one thing he personally screwed up or are you just lumping him together with Savage. The man did a fine job coordinating the scouting department and is a very fine evaluator of talent. Do you know it was TJ that talked Cribbs into coming here? Do you know was against bringing in Cory Williams for a 2nd round draft pick and told Savage not to sign Stallworth. He wanted to take that 2nd round pick and draft a LB. He sided with RAC and wanted to bring in Law before the season started.

So, tell us all why he is a "Deadweight".

I have a feeling he is talking out his ass. As if Lerner interviewed TJ because he is a dumb shit, right?

Guest Masters
Schwartz is intriguing and has a several year track record of success as a D coord,,,,,,,,,,,may be a good choice

He is just a coffee fetcher for Fisher.

Guest Masters
TELL US ALL AGAIN .................."IN SEWAGE WE TRUST" A THOUSAND...........TIMES....that was you genius get the courage to tell everyone HOW FRIGGING WRONG YOU HAVE BEEN ABOUT NEARLY EVERYTHING FOR THREE YEARS instead whining to everyone about rich and ghoolie.....it is too sad that a 60 year old man whines and crybabies like an infant baby without a bottle............you are a pathetic human I feel sorry for you..............disgusting

Pot, I have the kettle on line 2 for you.

I'm not sure that I agree with the logic that this time around...if the GM didn't hire the coach...then there's gonna be friction.

Savage hired coaches that Crennel didn't want. Kokinis would be Mangini's choice especially since they are supposedly close. I don't see the same dynamic. Mangini definitely got a raw deal in NY. He was likely neither the genius nor the buffoon he was made out to be. He has a good track record with draft choices (Gholston notwithstanding). In three years, he drafted Mangold and Ferguson (Pro Bowlers). He drafted and developed Kerry Rhodes, Leon Washington and Darelle Revis. Dustin Keller has been a success and he was instrumental in getting Kris Jenkins and Thomas Jones on board with the Jets' program. Just because he isn't throwing stuff in the lockerroom and slamming his headset into the ground it doesn't mean he's "clueless". He's calm. Tony Dungy is calm. Belichick (like him or not) is calm. Tom Landry wasn't demonstrative. I think the NY media and fans were screaming too loudly for an owner who has a new stadium's PSLs to sell. Just my opinion. NY fans are full of baloney.

Guest Aloysius

Mangini didn't draft Kerry Rhodes. He was already there when Mangini arrived in New York.

But I'll agree with you that he & GM Mike Tannenbaum have brought a lot of talent to NY. Though he struggled this year, ILB David Harris would be another guy to add to the list.

That said, have the Jets had any Day Two successes (other than Washington) since Mangini got there?

Plus, those who complained about our getting rid of guy who didn't fit the 3-4 should note how Mangini got rid of Vilma & Dewayne Robertson.

My bad on Rhodes.

I agree about Harris too. Mangini/Tannenbaum's second day drafts are varied. In 2008, he did pick up Dwight Lowery who started for most of the season at CB. He faded a bit later in the year but he was sensational early on for a fourth rounder. Ainge is on IR. From the '07 draft, they picked up Chansi Stuckey in the 7th round who had several big catches and TDs this year. Jacob Bender is a 6th rounder who is still on the team. In their first draft ('06), Brad Smith was a 4th rounder and he was the third WR and special teams contributor. I'd say that's quite a bit of success on day 2. I'm not sure how to measure day 2 success though.

Re: Vilma and Robertson. My inlaws have season tix to the Jets and I was never impressed with Dewayne Robertson no matter what front they were in (3 or 4 DL). Vilma has done well in NO this year and I can't argue with that but I think that I saw him take himself out of more plays by sloppy pursuit and tackling than any other player on defense.

Just read a fresh PD story. It sure sounds like Pioli is out and Mangini is in.

Also paints a grim picture of the upcoming salary cap issues and how Phil put the next guy in a hole with the trading away of future draft picks.

Man I'd love to squeeze a 3rd round pick out of DA.

Also paints a grim picture of the upcoming salary cap issues and how Phil put the next guy in a hole with the trading away of future draft picks.

Squeezing would be exactly what the next GM would be doing. The market for DA is certainly an unknown at this point. It's hard to get a lot of new talent without draft picks because that's where championship teams are built.

can you amplify on the salary cap issues............that is very very important

can you amplify on the salary cap issues............that is very very important

A source close to Pioli said he headed into the Browns interview with serious reservations. Multiple league sources have pointed to squandered Browns draft picks over the past few years -- including the third, fifth and seventh in 2009. The team is headed for salary cap trouble after giving huge bonuses to free agents over the past several years, and the contracts of a number of players are up after 2009.

One league source noted that the roster is in bad shape after the reign of fired general manager Phil Savage, and that only one current defensive player -- Shaun Rogers -- would be good enough to start for the Ravens or Steelers. Another said neither linebacker Beau Bell nor Martin Rucker, two players the Browns traded up to select in the 2008, will be able to cut it in the NFL.

L I N K

Guest Masters

I have read that. But I have also read the opposite.

Based on what I know about the cap, the recent contract with bonus haven't actually been that big, and only hurt if CLE actually kept every one of them, which they wouldn't. They have lots of outs to save the cap hit if they cut the guy.

I really don't see the huge difference between the GM picking the coach and the coach saying who he wants making the personnel decisions. Seems like two sides of the same coin to me.

At the end of the day, it comes down to who Lerner thinks has the most potential to help the team. If it's a coach who can motivate and scheme the team to win, then hire him first and then bring in a GM to get him the players he needs. If it's a GM who can put together a team that can dominate, then hire him and let him pick the guy coach his players. I don't see why one is necessarily better than the other.

Dennis

Please enough talking about coffee fetching!!!! Sheesh! I LOVE coffee; the reference to those with less than a normal grasp on life 'fetching' it for me is....well odd

Yeah, I missed a few months around here, only to come back to all this fetching stuff, and the only thing I can figure is that Bill Belichick must drink one HELL of a lot of coffee.

Zombo

Guest Aloysius
My bad on Rhodes.

I agree about Harris too. Mangini/Tannenbaum's second day drafts are varied. In 2008, he did pick up Dwight Lowery who started for most of the season at CB. He faded a bit later in the year but he was sensational early on for a fourth rounder. Ainge is on IR. From the '07 draft, they picked up Chansi Stuckey in the 7th round who had several big catches and TDs this year. Jacob Bender is a 6th rounder who is still on the team. In their first draft ('06), Brad Smith was a 4th rounder and he was the third WR and special teams contributor. I'd say that's quite a bit of success on day 2. I'm not sure how to measure day 2 success though.

Thanks for the response. But I think it actually brings up some of my concerns about Mangini.

First, bringing up Bender reminds me of the drama Mangini caused with Pete Kendall in early '07. Unwilling to consider giving Kendall a long-term deal, Mangini ended up provoking a huge training camp distraction, one that ended in the Jets trading away Kendall for a Day Two pick. Mangini first put Bender in the LG spot...and he failed miserably. The whole left side of their line collapsed, with Ferguson having a terrible second season. Both of their QB's got beat up and rush-weary, resulting in a veteran QB losing the fans (Pennington) and a young QB not earning their support (Clemens).

Had they kept Kendall, I'm guessing their '07 offense would have been much better. They may have never even gotten into the Favre sweepstakes.

Also, they may have been able to develop Bender as a future starter at their RT spot. Instead, they spent a ton of money on Faneca at LG & Woody at RT. And Bender ended up getting cut; he spent most of the year on the Patriots' practice squad, then was picked up by the Niners.

Brad Smith is another interesting example: after growing into the #3 receiver role last year, the Jets seemed more interested in mimicking the Dolphins' success with the WildDawg than with continuing that success at receiver. As a result, he didn't even have 100 receiving yards this year. He's becoming another Josh Cribbs: a great athlete with no real position on offense.

So while you may be right that they've drafted a lot of talent on Day Two, it seems like they're doing a poor job of developing said talent. Perhaps owner Woody Johnson took that into consideration when he fired Mangini & not the GM. The talent's there - both because of their drafts and their big spending spree last offseason - but Mangini couldn't get that team to the playoffs.

Archived