THE BROWNS BOARD

Willoughby South QB Patrick Nicely withdraws Bowling Green commitment

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Willoughby South QB Patrick Nicely withdraws Bowling Green commitment

Tim Warsinskey, Plain Dealer Reporter, December 15, 2008 12:31 p.m.

Willoughby South quarterback Patrick Nicely has withdrawn his oral commitment to Bowling Green and is considering Toledo, Akron and Ohio University.

Nicely made an official visit to Toledo last weekend and has plans to visit Ohio later this month and Akron in January.

"It went real good," he said of the Toledo visit. "They have a new coach, Tim Beckman, and he's real nice and all about family. He was [the defensive coordinator] at Oklahoma State and used to be at Ohio State. They're going to run the spread exactly like Oklahoma State."

Nicely (6-4, 215) committed to Bowling Green in August, but withdrew the non-binding pledge recently after coach Gregg Brandon's contract was not renewed. BG hired former Tennessee offensive coordinator Dave Clawson on Friday.

"I haven't even met this coach," Nicely said. "The one thing that made me mad is they told me they'd call me as soon as they got a new coach and they haven't called me since. I felt a little betrayed."

Rivals.com ranks Nicely as the 18th-best pro-style quarterback recruit in the nation. He passed for 1,938 yards, 22 touchdowns and four interceptions this season.

nicelyMERLIN-CLE2X00160_9.jpg

Willoughby South quarterback Patrick Nicely is considering

Toledo, Akron and Ohio University after withdrawing his oral commitment

to Bowling Green. - (PD file photograph)

Guest ATENEARS

BG is currently loaded at the QB position anyhow ... this committment never did make sense to me. BG had Barft Tanski (Mentor's 2007 Mr. Ohio) walk-on there last season.

• 2 months later...

Archived