THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week In The Afc North

Zombo

Well, Browns fans finally have a chance to get rid of that bad Tit taste they have had in their mouth for two weeks, with a good outing against the Raiders in Oakland.

The Browns are two and two after a roller coast ride through Pat Shurmer's first four games, but now the season begins anew and the Browns control their own destiny ... they can make it a season to remember, or send us to the draft magazines early again.

And the Raiders in Oakland is a good challenge to test our second-season mettle. It is what I would call a "teeter-totter" game ... A tough win on the road swings the balance of the season to the positive, with a 3-2 record and a beatable opponent coming up ... or a bad loss could result in that "same ole same ole" feeling as we slide away from the division.

So what happens? Let's look into the TGZ Crystal Ball:

Indianapolis at Cincinnati 1:00 PM

The Colts seem like this year's "hard luck losers". They play hard every week, their defense keeps them in the game ... but the same fate that took away Manning seems to be torturing them with grueling losses. The Bengals, on the other hand, seem to be able to win in spite of themselves. So they should be able to win at home against the luckless Colts. Which means the'll lose ... because they're the Bengals. COLTS 21 BUNGLES 20

Jacksonville at Pittsburgh 1:00 PM

The Jags owner was nice enough to let everyone know that Jack Del Rio would be fired if he didn't make the playoffs. Which, with a rookie QB starting, is code for "we're making a switch at the bye". So ... three more weeks for JDR whose team should be game enough but not good enough to beat Pittsburgh this week. STEELERS 23 JAGUARS 17

Houston at Baltimore 4:05 PM

Houston was everyone's "Hot Pick" this year, but with Mario Williams out for the year and Andre Johnson nursing a hammy, a lot of folks may be coolong off on them. Not me. This team can score in bunches on anybody, they've got swagger, and smell blood with the AFC South sitting there for their taking. And Baltimore is my "over-rated team of the week", so that calls for a TGZ Upset Special: TEXANS 34 RAVENS 27

Cleveland at Oakland 4:05 PM

While fans have had two weeks to turn on Colt McCoy, worry about Peyton Hillis and pray for a veteran receiver, the Browns have had had two weeks to work on the basics of what I feel is already a good football team with makings of a great one if they keep drafting like they have the past two years. A road game is probably the perfect elixir for young McCoy who added two weeks of growth to his resume while fans were fretting away. Hillis should be healthy as a horse plowing through the Raiders D ... and you don't have to be a veteran to score on that D. Browns contain the run early then torment Jasaon Campbell all day. BROWNS 27 RAIDERS 10

Zombo

I shall use the same thread to give out my predictions. Maybe we should all enter our predictions to see who gets it all right or is the closest.

1. COLTS : 9 - 13 BENGALS

2. STEELERS 28 - 17 JAGUARS

3. RAVENS 14 - 17 TEXANS

4. BROWNS 17 - 20 RAIDERS

Well, I always say, don't rag on my picks unless you put up some of your own.

Bengals may indeed win ... but Raiders won't.

Zombo

Jacksonville at Pittsburgh 1:00 PM

The Jags owner was nice enough to let everyone know that Jack Del Rio would be fired if he didn't make the playoffs. Which, with a rookie QB starting, is code for "we're making a switch at the bye". So ... three more weeks for JDR whose team should be game enough but not good enough to beat Pittsburgh this week. STEELERS 23 JAGUARS 17

Zombo

holy crap, i almost choked on my cheerios when i saw you picked the Steelers.

Sam Adams and sugar, baby, Sam Adams and sugar.

SamAdamsBeerCupcake.jpg

Zombo

sweet. all i see missing in that pick is the bottle of cuervo and the ashtray for the cohiba.

still very classy.

Damn ... if only you were eating something more throat-clogging.

Zombo

i think gafreleets waits til after the games to go down on his man.

everyone wins in our division today except us. just my thought.

Archived