THE BROWNS BOARD

PIOLI STILL WEIGHING OPTIONS

BernietheKid

PIOLI STILL WEIGHING OPTIONS

Posted by Mike Florio on January 4, 2009, 7:58 a.m.

As reports intensify that former Jets coach Eric Mangini is the leading candidate to become the next coach of the Browns, a new article from Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer suggests that Patriots V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli remains the first choice for G.M.

And while no one has directly said so, it’s now becoming clear that Pioli and Mangini, former colleagues in Cleveland, will not be working together — possibly due to the lingering aftermath of Spygate, in which Mangini is perceived to have blown the whistle on practices in New England about which Mangni knew but did not complain while working there, instead parlaying those tactics into a head-coaching position with the Jets.

So, per Cabot, it’s Pioli or Mangini, with Pioli being the preference.

Cabot reports that Pioli is still exploring three options: join the Browns, join the Chiefs, or stay in New England.

Cabot says that if Pioli takes himself out of the running in Cleveland, the Browns will then focus on Mangini.

Since no one else – and we mean no one else – is sniffing around Mangini for the other non-Jets head-coaching vacancies, there’s no downside for the Browns to put Mangini on hold until they know what Pioli is going to do.

For now, it’s clearly unclear whether Pioli views the Cleveland job as the kind of situation that would prompt him to leave New England. Cabot reports that Pioli entered his interview with owner Randy Lerner having “serious reservations.” One league source told Cabot that the roster is in “bad shape” after the tenure of Phil Savage, and that the Browns have only one defensive player — Shaun Rogers — who would start for the Steelers or the Ravens.

Also, the Browns reportedly are heading for salary cap trouble, due to the contracts negotiated by Savage.

Despite Cabot’s article, which indicates that the Browns are still willing to wait for Pioli to make a decision, we continue to hear rumblings from various league sources that there are movements both in Cleveland and Kansas City to push the process away from Pioli. Current employees of both franchises believe that, like his father-in-law Bill Parcells, Pioli will come to town and identify who needs to be fired, and then fire them.

Thus, in both cities, the preference of the current employees is someone who won’t embark on the radical change that, by all appearances, is sorely needed.

But the paranoia apparently is causing people to leak exaggerated and embellished information to the press, and to offer advice within the respective organizations clearly aimed at protecting the asses of the people giving it.

One rumor we heard out of Kansas City is that, if Pioli joins the Chiefs, even the ticket takers will be let go.

In reality, rumors like that likely are coming from the folks who have been taking salaries from the two sagging franchises, while contributing to the mediocrity (at best) that the two teams have experienced of late.

I dont find Mike Florio credible but, that said, he loses me with his points of emphasis -and I do mean "points of emphasis- as someone who is biased.

I agree im just putting it out there for speculation. I mean nobody really knows whats going on except Lerner and whoever he's talking to.

Rumbilngs: Browns-Pioli Dance May Be Done

By Jon Scott

PatriotsInsider.com

Date: Jan 3, 2009

Patriots Insider has seen and heard the reports streaming in from around the web and on the airwaves. Here's the latest in the Scott Pioli job hunt and what each report's impact means to Pioli possibly leaving New England.

(I can't get the rest - no Scout account)

Speculation or not whomever comes to town will have some serious firing to do because lerner has failed to get rid of the real problems the team has beyond savage randy could have made the enticement for coming to cleveland easier for pioli or whoever by simply releasing most of the current deadwieght staff which would give the new gm the clear message that the empty staff openings are his to fill..

Now the candidates have to weigh pissing lerner off if they fire a lerner pet/croney..and the job is that much harder by having to evaluate what most of us already know is bottom of the barrel front office personnel from the second they arrive in town..

Who wants to take the job and then have lerner say.. oh by the way dont fire my pet chud please...

I am already tired of Pioli ....he doesn't sound like a guy who views this a good job, so it is probably best if we let him know he is off the list. I wouldn't wait for him to turn us down.

Either he wants it or not...enough of the kiddie shit.

JMO

I am already tired of Pioli ....he doesn't sound like a guy who views this a good job, so it is probably best if we let him know he is off the list. I wouldn't wait for him to turn us down.

JMO

I can definately understand the reservations any already cushy established gm candidate is going to have with risking their career coming to cleveland and having to sort through savages leftover garbage because lerner hasnt..

Lerners browns from inside the nfl circles likely have a rather nasty reputation as a place to end your career not build it..

Face it....there are 3 reason why a team hires a GM

The last one died

The last one retired after a great run of 20 years ( and the hire is usually some guy who was brought in to be mentored by the previous guy well in advance of the retirement)

The last one couldn't get it done and things are in some stage of disarray.

Most newly hired GM's or coaches take the job knowing they weren't hired because things were perfect with the previous regime.

Face it....there are 3 reason why a team hires a GM

The last one died

The last one retired after a great run of 20 years ( and the hire is usually some guy who was brought in to be mentored by the previous guy well in advance of the retirement)

The last one couldn't get it done and things are in some stage of disarray.

Most newly hired GM's or coaches take the job knowing they weren't hired because things were perfect with the previous regime.

Absolute fact ballpeen but usually the owner takes the failed gms staff out with the gm not keep them around and interview them for the gm job especially if they are as low caliber as savages staff...lerner needed to clean house like i said candidates for the job will have many not so inviting things to do immediately upon taking the job..not to mention potential conditions set by lerner..

This is not a glamour job and lerner hasnt made it as enticing as it could have been..

I don't know.

You still need things to operate....and the problem may not have been with the staff....just the head of the staff.

I read somewhere Lerner stated is wasn't player selection or anything like that, it was simply a matter of style.

Phil seemed to have a pretty big head on that skinny body.

I don't know.

You still need things to operate....and the problem may not have been with the staff....just the head of the staff.

I read somewhere Lerner stated is wasn't player selection or anything like that, it was simply a matter of style.

Phil seemed to have a pretty big head on that skinny body.

We need to keep in mind we arent trying to recruit upstarts we are trying to get an experienced disciplined selection of guys that are fairly comfortable where they are at..

Coming to cleveland has to be carefully weighed and the risk and character of the team and owner thoroughly assessed looking on it as a fan the browns look like a place to make a name for themselves looking at it as a candidate brings a different light on the whole situation..

For now, it’s clearly unclear whether Pioli views the Cleveland job as the kind of situation that would prompt him to leave New England. Cabot reports that Pioli entered his interview with owner Randy Lerner having “serious reservations.” One league source told Cabot that the roster is in “bad shape” after the tenure of Phil Savage, and that the Browns have only one defensive player — Shaun Rogers — who would start for the Steelers or the Ravens.

If this is true of the roster (and I do believe we have many starters that wouldn't for the Ravens or Steelers), it speaks volumes about Pioli's desire to really try to be the man if his reservations are about he roster.

It would seem, then, he wants to go to the perfect team with a roster already in place and basically just ride the coattails of the person(s) before him.

Stay in NE, Scott, and continue to fetch coffee for Belichick.

JMO

Could not agree more; he is like the dude who will not move out of his parents house even though he is 40....to H-ll with him

Archived