THE BROWNS BOARD

We need a "safe" pick

ballpeen

One of the faults I had with Savage is I think he tended to get too wrapped up in his scouting reports and sometimes found things in guys that weren't there...trying to pluck a diamond in the rough so to speak when there were other diamonds in plain view.

That is fine in the later rounds, and actually worked in his favor with some of the later round picks, but I think reached for guys like Wimbly, Rucker, Bell, and maybe a few others.

My hope is whoever we select, we look for a "safer" route, and go by what our eyes tell us rather than read something in to a scouting report.

We should have good solid picks galore when we select in rounds 1 and 2, even in to rounds 3 and 4, and hope we don't get a guy who starts throwing the dice, looking for more than is available.

Get some guys who you know are going to be at least good, solid players rather than seek out that guy who might be great....or might not.

We need some players we can count on out of the gate.

JMO

One of the faults I had with Savage is I think he tended to get too wrapped up in his scouting reports and sometimes found things in guys that weren't there...trying to pluck a diamond in the rough so to speak when there were other diamonds in plain view.

That is fine in the later rounds, and actually worked in his favor with some of the later round picks, but I think reached for guys like Wimbly, Rucker, Bell, and maybe a few others.

My hope is whoever we select, we look for a "safer" route, and go by what our eyes tell us rather than read something in to a scouting report.

We should have good solid picks galore when we select in rounds 1 and 2, even in to rounds 3 and 4, and hope we don't get a guy who starts throwing the dice, looking for more than is available.

Get some guys who you know are going to be at least good, solid players rather than seek out that guy who might be great....or might not.

We need some players we can count on out of the gate.

JMO

I agree. Need another day one pick though. With the number five are you in favor of a DB or a pass rusher?

In tune with what I said before....DBs are safer picks. It is pretty easy to see if they have the hip movement, ball skills, and speed that will translate to the NFL. Pass rushers are much harder to assess.

At this point, I think Jenkins would be my pick...shoot....maybe even the safety Mays, though that is a reach...for a backer if we went that direction, I would go Curry...I think he is less boom or bust potential than does Malagula.

A few of those OTs are can't miss types..and we are kidding ourself if we don't think we couldn't use a stud linemen on that side of the ball.

how is jenkins less of a reach than mays? they're both outstanding college players who have room to grow as they learn the nuances of playing their positions in the NFL. if anything, jenkins is more of a reach because he has less potential. mays has the potential to be one of the best ever but, at worst, will be a solid safety who's good in the run game and punishes receivers.

I have flip flopped a bit as the browns need a stud LB (Curry)in the worst way..and Shonn Greene in rd 2 ..but the more i watch mays as a game changing safety...then i watch ed reed and the long hair polo from pissburgh dominate the game...i am hoping mays could be that guy for the browns D...huge hitter..players scared to go over the middle...i dont know that anyone is the ball hawk Reed is..but he is EVERYWHERE...and the browns NEED that a huge playmaker that plays his ass off..its infectious...

Archived