THE BROWNS BOARD

Cassel ain't leaving NE

Guest Masters

Guest Masters

There are reports that with the infection Brady had, he is way behind rehab schedule and could miss all of next year. They are covering their bases. Plus if you read the story, the Pats have the cap room to keep both next year.

There are reports that with the infection Brady had, he is way behind rehab schedule and could miss all of next year. They are covering their bases. Plus if you read the story, the Pats have the cap room to keep both next year.

You mean that Cleveland isn't the only place with a staph problem?

Guest Masters
You guys do realize that franchising Cassel doesn'tmean he's not leaving New England, don't you?

Of course. But with Brady coming back from ACL/MCL injury and being so far behind rehab there are questions on whether he'll play in the 2009 season, I find it far more likely he is staying in NE next season.

But NE can't let him walk and then find out that Brady isn't ready. They'd be screwed to the max.

Yeah, but they probably wait until shortly before the draft to make a decision. If his progress isnt clear by then, then Cassel probably stays. But it should be clear one way or the other. Here's a BB move for you: Brady gets traded.

Yeah, but they probably wait until shortly before the draft to make a decision. If his progress isnt clear by then, then Cassel probably stays. But it should be clear one way or the other. Here's a BB move for you: Brady gets traded.

Why would they have to trade him before the draft? They were 11-5 with an all-star IR team.

They have no pressing need to pick up an extra draft pick this season. And there's always a team willing to trade for a very good QB well after the draft. (Heck - look at the Dolphins and Jets alone)

Seeing as there's no real way to test Brady's knee before the draft I'd guess they hold onto Cassel until early summer at least. There might even be some general understanding with a GM or Coach who's willing to take the chance not to use a high pick on a QB in the draft, knowing that there's a good chance Cassel could come their way later in the pre-season (say, Pioli as a GM or McDaniels as a head coach, for example).

With the exception of Tom Curran's report (who did not cite a source for his story) other reports are that Brady's knee is doing well - but one never knows.

Expect a scenario where Brady's knee gives the Patriots the excuse to Franchise Cassel (so as not to circumvent the spirit of that law) hold him beyond the draft, and trade him for a 2010 draft pick if and when Brady's knee is proven sound.

• 1 month later...

The Patriots are moving Cassel, not keeping him. The franchise tag is just a tool they're using to receive some compensation rather than letting him hit the market as an unrestricted free agent.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if Pioli brought him along to Kansas City. Minnesota might be another home.

Here's the tag history of the Patriots:

"They've utilized it four times - on kicker Adam Vinatieri in 2002, safety Tebucky Jones in 2003, Vinatieri in 2005, and cornerback Asante Samuel in 2007.

In 2002, the Patriots waited until the last day to assign the franchise tag to Vinatieri. The sides had been negotiating a contract extension, but ran out of time. The tag was removed March 15 when Vinatieri inked a three-year extension.

In 2003, the Patriots again waited until the last day before assigning the franchise tag to Jones. Two months later, Jones was traded to the Saints for three draft choices - third- and seventh-round picks in 2003 and a fourth-rounder in 2004.

In 2005, the Patriots and Vinatieri were in a familiar situation, the team tagging Vinatieri on the last day. The sides couldn't reach an extension that offseason, so Vinatieri played that year under the one-year franchise tag figure, and left the following season - joining the Colts as a free agent - when the Patriots elected not to place the tag on him a third time.

In 2007, the Patriots and Samuel had reached a negotiating deadlock, and the team tagged him Feb. 16, which marked the first time the Patriots didn't wait until the deadline to utilize the tag (the deadline was Feb. 22). After Samuel held out of training camp, the Patriots negotiated an arrangement that they wouldn't tag him again in 2008 if he returned to the team for one year and played in 60 percent of the defensive snaps or the team won 12 games. Samuel met those conditions and signed as a free agent with the Eagles the following offseason."

SO:

- The tag got Vinatieri to the table the first time - a deal done and two SBs.

- The Tebucky tag was a joke, pulled on the Saints.

- The second Vinatieri tag kept him around for another year. And, by the time he left, the Pats had found a new Pro Bowl kicker with a bigger leg.

- The Samuel tag should have turned into another SB title, if Samuel himself had held one to his pick against the Giants.

This is how a real front office functions.

Here's a BB move for you: Brady gets traded.

That would be something.

That would certainly be worth a top 5 pick plus perhaps another super-late 1st super early 2nd. Billy B rings up his buddy in KC & get's their 3rd to cash in a few IOU's.

Curry, Cushing & Matthews for NE's 1st round to replace old, older, & oldest (Vrabel, Bruschi, Seau). Thomas & Mayo rounding out the blue-print for a 3-4 backer corps.

Yikes. :blink:

Guest Masters

For who brought up DA. DA was a RFA and was tagged for a 1st and a 3rd. No one tried to sign DA but CLE. There is a reason he took the deal he got.

On Cassel, no one really knows how Brady will be next year. QBs recovering from the injury he had do not have a good track record of succuss upon the 1st year back (see Palmer and Culpepper for recent examples). NE is not going to move Cassel and have no insurance policy for Brady.

For who brought up DA. DA was a RFA and was tagged for a 1st and a 3rd. No one tried to sign DA but CLE. There is a reason he took the deal he got.

On Cassel, no one really knows how Brady will be next year. QBs recovering from the injury he had do not have a good track record of succuss upon the 1st year back (see Palmer and Culpepper for recent examples). NE is not going to move Cassel and have no insurance policy for Brady.

Mik, you keep saying Phillip never had any offers for DA. My question is, why did he offer him what he did if there weren't offers on the table?

The bottom line is, certainly they could have gotten much better compensation pick wise then they will now, plus Queen would have a year under his belt.

Guest Masters
Mik, you keep saying Phillip never had any offers for DA. My question is, why did he offer him what he did if there weren't offers on the table?

The bottom line is, certainly they could have gotten much better compensation pick wise then they will now, plus Queen would have a year under his belt.

Do you really think Phil, who drafted Queen, wouldn't have gladly taken the 1st and the 3rd round pick he would have gotten back if anyone else signed DA? That is why I say it. Phil threw, what in reality was a bit of a low ball offer (as far as for what a young up and coming starting QB gets offered, by league standards) and DA jumped on it.

Do you really think Phil, who drafted Queen, wouldn't have gladly taken the 1st and the 3rd round pick he would have gotten back if anyone else signed DA? That is why I say it. Phil threw, what in reality was a bit of a low ball offer (as far as for what a young up and coming starting QB gets offered, by league standards) and DA jumped on it.

I totally disagree.

I would have taken a first straight up and I know a ton of guys here would have at the time. The reputed offers were linked through Dallas and Bmore, which gave Phillip his excuse to hang onto DA. I maintain Savage was always madly in love with him and never had any intention of him being anything but the starting QB in 2008.

His biggest thing was having two starting caliber guys so the season wouldn't be sabotaged by injury to one of them.

Guest Masters
I totally disagree.

I would have taken a first straight up and I know a ton of guys here would have at the time. The reputed offers were linked through Dallas and Bmore, which gave Phillip his excuse to hang onto DA. I maintain Savage was always madly in love with him and never had any intention of him being anything but the starting QB in 2008.

His biggest thing was having two starting caliber guys so the season wouldn't be sabotaged by injury to one of them.

I see where you are coming from. But I just don't buy that though DAL to Balt story, and didn't really buy it at the time. That would have been a cap issue for DAL in the end (signing bonus money and its cap hit doesn't move with a trade, so DAL would have been screwed big on that financially by signing DA).

I do think Phil got a little to excited about DA after the 2007 season. But he had DA on the roster when he traded up to pick Quinn. So how much excitement could the FO have really had for DA before that.

I 100% agree that the deciding factor in keeping/resigning DA was the concept of needing two good QBs on the roster in today's NFL.

Guest Aloysius

If only we had gotten that 1st and 3rd...

Let's assume that the Dallas scenario wasn't bs - we would have acquired the 22nd and 92nd picks in the draft.

Dallas drafted Felix Jones with the 1st pick - a guy who ran for 69 yards & a TD against us Week One, and who averaged 8.9 yards per carry before getting hurt in Week Six.

The 92nd pick ended up getting shipped to Detroit, who selected Cliff Avril, a DE-OLB who notched 4 sacks in the final six games of the season and is a guy Jim Schwartz is planning to build his defense around.

Imagine if OLB and RB weren't considered huge needs going into this year's draft. Even with our small cache of draft picks, we'd be ideally situated to fill our holes at ILB, C, SS, and TE/WR.

Damn, that would've been sweet.

Yup.

Even better, he should have been traded after his big year. Something about buy low, sell high.

Someone suggested that at the time. I can't remember who...

Don't know if you're talking about me, but I posted the buy low, sell high analogy repeatedly at the end of 2007.

The rationale was simple: unless DA was a top 10 QB (which he wasn't and common sense told those of us with functioning brains that he wouldn't be), the best organizational decision was to take picks for him, if for no other reason than that he was free to the organization and any return you got for him would be a tremendous return on investment.

Too bad Phil was one of those brainless people that saw a top 10 QB in DA.

Archived