2008: 170 carries for _671 yards

======================

Total: 464 carries for 1878 yard

Jamal Lewis' stats since leaving Baltimore for Cleveland two seasons ago:

2007: 298 carries for 1304 yards

2008: 279 carries for 1002 yards

======================

Total: 577 carries for 2306 yard

I'm assuming that Jamal Lewis was a hell of a lot less expensive as well, anyone have the cap numbers?

Willis McGahee's stats since leaving Buffalo for Baltimore two seasons ago:

2007: 294 carries for 1207 yards

======================

======================

I'm assuming that Jamal Lewis was a hell of a lot less expensive as well, anyone have the cap numbers?

Lewis cost six million this year......McGahee cost Bmore 3 million......... so Lewis was less productive for the money........and McGahee was hurt most of the year.........so statistics do not really reflect who is better.......of course Lewis us to nowhere this year

Lewis cost six million this year..............and McGahee was hurt most of the year.........so numbers do not really reflect who is better.......of course Lewis us to nowhere this year

Injury is just as important. If you can only have your RB for 1/2 the season, someone who stays healthy looks more attractive.

read my post again and requote it with figures for McGahee and say the same thing you just said.......or edit it to reality.........and I will delete this post

Guest ATENEARS

McGahee traded to Ravens, signs long-term deal

By Michael Smith and Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

SOURCE

Updated: March 8, 2007, 10:08 PM ET

The Ravens and Bills agreed to a trade Thursday that will send running back Willis McGahee to Baltimore in exchange for the team's third and seventh-round picks in this year's draft, along with the Ravens' third-round pick in 2008.

Hours after the trade was announced Thursday afternoon, ESPN.com learned McGahee will sign a new seven-year contract with Baltimore, the last two seasons of which are options years, that can be worth a total of $40.12 million. In terms of so-called "new money," the contract places McGahee among the NFL's five highest-paid running backs.

McGahee will receive an initial signing bonus of $7.5 million and subsequent option bonuses of $6 million after the 2007 season and $1.5 million following the 2008 season, for a total of $15 million. The base salaries are $595,000 (2007), $605,000 ('08), $620,000 ('09), $3.6 million ('10), $6 million ('11), $6.5 million ('12) and $7.2 million ('13).

Even without the option years at the end of the contract, the deal is worth $26.42 million over five years.

Buffalo dealt McGahee in anticipation of difficulty re-signing him.

According to this, McGahee only cost the Ravens $600K this season. Don't know if this will include any kind of bonuses though. The sad thing is look on the right column and see where the Ravens and Browns are in team salaries.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/baltimore-ravens/salary

Why do you assume what Stan put up was the cap figure and what I put up earlier was not accurate???????????? My numbers are accurate...........he did ask for cap numbers and I provided them geesh!

compare apples and apples I put of cap figures for this year.........

Lewis cost 6 million

McGahee cost 3 million

McGahee even hurt produced more for the money

Guest ATENEARS
McGahee will receive an initial signing bonus of $7.5 million and subsequent option bonuses of $6 million after the 2007 season and $1.5 million following the 2008 season, for a total of $15 million. The base salaries are $595,000 (2007), $605,000 ('08), $620,000 ('09), $3.6 million ('10), $6 million ('11), $6.5 million ('12) and $7.2 million ('13).

Sounds like he's already banked $13.5 Mil + base salaries of $595,000 (07') & $605,000 (08') .... with another $1.5 Mil owed following this season.

That's over $16-mil ... plus the Ravens gave up draft picks. those bonuses may spread over the length of the contract as far as cap hit goes, but if they part ways with him this off-season all dumps on next years cap right?

I did not argue with anyone I just put the facts instead of distortion

Lewis cost six million this year against the cap'

McGahee cost three million and was hurt a good part of the year

Boom simple as that ..............McGahee got more per dollar than Lewis who lead us to nowhere

Guest ATENEARS

How are you figuring McGahee's $3 Mil? He appears to have pocketed at least $15 Mil already. Are all of those bonues pro-rated? Is he playing for free besides the signing bonuses? ... did they not give up a 3rd round pick?

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to realize that we got the better, more durable, less expensive, more experienced Running back, without giving up any draft picks, or even swapping two others.

You provided some numbers of stats for the two players.

You asked what they made against the cap

You omitted that McGahee was injured a good part of the year and the Bmore also used McClain who is way better than Lewis right now. You did not factor in McClain.

I provided the cap numbers for both players for 2008

six million for Lewis

and 3 million for McGahee

Last year 2007 Lewis cost 3.5 against the cap

and McGahee 1.84 against the cap

That is what they are!

if you think Lewis is worth six million and better than McGahee great......... I think he is a worn out tap dancer who average 3.6 yards a carry and either he is washed up or our 37 million dollar line sucks take your pick..........I think McGahee is better right now.........

not much to debate...........is an injured McGahee coming back I cannot predict that but he did break off a 70 yard run to put Bmore in the playoffs in the last game.......and like I said Lewis lead us to zero TD's the last six games

considering McClain's emergence and having Ray Rice as well who can also play whom was also not factored in I would assume the Ravens will try to restructure the remaining contract of McGahee big time or move him.........remmeber Contracts are not guaranteed in the NFL and I suspect 3.8 of McGahee's 7 mil bonus is used up since he seems to have burned 2.4 mil this year based on the bonus numbers of yours and 1.3 last year. He probably has a similar amount next year and those option bonuses are out year monies and it is not clear if any of that is guaranteed. It seems for sure the 7.5 mil was guaranteed and he probably has received around 2.8 mil of that to date counting the 2.4 mil this year and 1.35 last year.

So if Bmore releases McGahee it likely costs them about 3.7 mil in cap costs to do so

Bottom line Lewis stinks he is done

Willis McGahee's stats since leaving Buffalo for Baltimore two seasons ago:

2007: 294 carries for 1207 yards

======================

======================

screw the cap numbers there isnt anything we can do about that, but as far as getting results J Lewis definatley outshined wounded knee McGahee and Lewis has to be atleast 10 years older! :)

Guest Aloysius

Good point, Stan.

The more amazing thing is that a workhorse like Matt Forte signed a 4 year, $3.781 M rookie contract. Even a late 1st Rounder like Chris Johnson only got a 5 year, $12 M deal.

But if you draft a RB in the top 5, you're going to pay much more than either McGahee or Lewis got. For instance, Darren McFadden got a 6 year, $60 M deal from the Raiders.

If we draft Beanie Wells at pick #5, we'll end up paying him something in that ballpark. So if we do, I'll be hoping he's as good as Shep & Russ think he is (if not better).

it would be nice to pick up another first rounder in this years draft. then we could get a Beanie Wells if he comes out or and still go after a stud Defensive player.

After thinking about it PS and Rac really didnt do a whole lot in 4 years except trying experiments. and we are only 1 or 2 steps ahead of personel that we will need, when we should be 10 steps ahead by now........ now im sick! :(

Lewis cost six million this year......McGahee cost Bmore 3 million......... so Lewis was less productive for the money........and McGahee was hurt most of the year.........so statistics do not really reflect who is better.......of course Lewis us to nowhere this year

Rich I understand you have to hate all things Browns but Jamal cost less, got more yards, didn't cost us 2 3rd's and a 7th, and got one less TD in that span..plus as you try and swing in McGahee's favor for some reason, Lewis has been healthy and McGahee has not.

Guest Masters

McGahee is being paid 8.1M this year, with a CAP number of 3.1M http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...amp;player=2911

Lewis is being paid 6.5M this year, with a CAP number of 8.5M http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...amp;player=1384

He has been "dinged up this year", but nothing serious. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/playerInjur?categoryId=140447

Archived