THE BROWNS BOARD

George Kokinis

WPB Dawg Fan

Here is a little info I have gathered on George Kokinis. He has been involved primarily with NFL FA talent over the past few years...but early on he was also the NE College scout...and he has a lot of input on contracts already:

From the Baltimore Ravens Official Site:

1996-2007: (with Baltimore) 2007: Ravens acquired Pro Bowl alternate RB Willis McGahee from the Bills in exchange for future draft choices...Team retained OLB Jarret Johnson, who re-signed with the team during the spring. 2006: Negotiated the contracts of draft picks S Dawan Landry (5th round) and DE Ryan LaCasse (7th round)...Ravens acquired QB Steve McNair in exchange for an ‘07 draft pick, re-signed OLB Bart Scott and also signed a number of significant free agent contributors: DE Trevor Pryce, who led the team with 13 sacks, RB Mike Anderson, DT Justin Bannan, CB Corey Ivy and OLB Gary Stills. 2005: Negotiated the contracts of draft picks FB Justin Green and LB Mike Smith...Ravens signed 3 current starters: WR Derrick Mason, CB Samari Rolle and G Keydrick Vincent. 2003: Became the team’s director of pro personnel, overseeing all aspects of the pro personnel department. 2000-02: Promoted to the Ravens’ assistant director of pro personnel in 2000...Conducted the advance scouting of Ravens opponents and provided reports to the coaches. 1996-99: Kokinis was the Ravens’ Northeast area scout for 4 years, and also conducted “the box” workouts of college prospects before moving over to pro personnel...Moved to Baltimore with the Modell franchise.

1991-95: (with Cleveland) Began his NFL scouting career with the Browns in 1991 after serving an internship in the team’s operations department.

And it turns out he was on the short list for GM positions as early as Dec 24th, 2007 according to Peter King:

The names of the young turks who should be at the top of the list for rebuilding franchises:

1. Scott Pioli, 42, New England. Smart. Ready, if he ever chooses to leave his good friend Belichick's side, which he'll likely have to do if he ever wants to have his football acumen recognized.

2. Chris Polian, 35, Indianapolis. Working under his prominent dad, Bill, Polian has risen to vice president of football operations and tried to learn lessons from top baseball execs. Tough and precocious.

3. Jeff Ireland, 38, Dallas. Thorough and ultra-prepared, with a reasoned opinion about every player he scouts. Unemotional and methodical.

Close: Philadelphia GM Tom Heckert, 40 (who might be available because Andy Reid has final authority with the Eagles); Baltimore director of pro personnel George Kokinis, 40; Green Bay personnel analyst John Schneider, 36.

It also turns out that the JETS tried to bring him on board back in 2006...but the Ravens blocked it.

Kokinis has also been mentioned on the KC websites as a possible GM candidate for the Chiefs. It was mentioned that he has been on the 'pro side' for much of the last 10 years...which then opens up the reason McCreight is still in the picture.

Why Is Floyd Reese not considered for the GM position ? I do not know much about him but is there any reason why he is not even being considered ? ( I just dont want any one from the Belly-Check organization again)

Reese wanted control and Fisher wanted control. Fisher blamed Reese causing cap problems around 2005 or 2006 and they had to let some goood young core players walk along with McNair to get back into good financial shape. I never saw anything special or anything damning about him.

What I want to know is why they haven't or aren't looking at Polian's son Chris. I know he's only 35, but he has obviously been around it his whole life and would have a pretty good person to call for advice once in a while.

I hear he is an up and comer. He may be better suited for a position with a coach already in place a few years and a team that is having some degree of success already, IMO.

Some awesome Floyds:

5_landis_podium_002.jpg

Blood-doper Floyd Landis

Floyd-Mayweather-Sr.jpg

Linguist Floyd Mayweather Sr.

Show.mayweather.jpg

Pro Wrestler Floyd Mayweather Jr.

N-PrettyBoyFloyd01.jpg

Bank Robber Pretty Boy Floyd

Brad Pitt as 'Floyd' in True Romance

I was arranging some shelves tonight and came across a Browns yearbook from 1993 and there were some interesting names on the staff.

Bill Belichick (Head Coach)

Kirk Ferentz (Offensive Line)

Nick Saban (Defensive Coordinator)

Phil Savage (Defensive Assistant)

George Kokinis (College Scouting Assistant)

Scott Pioli (Pro Personnel Assistant)

I guess what goes around comes around.

There's also:

4-time Major winner Raymond Floyd (left)

c35704-21.jpg

Chicago White sox hurler Gavin floyd

floyd-gavin-392-cp-080506.jpg

USC basketball coach Tim Floyd

floydyells_2.jpg

Short shorts wearing Warrior Eric "Sleepy" Floyd

warriors_floyd_87_240.jpg

Floyd, Chicapee John's childhood barber

floyd.jpg

And Tampa nightspot "Floyd's", where John wouldn't be caught dead on lingerie night.

142-633285699143633750.jpg

Zombo

Archived