THE BROWNS BOARD

Interesting story on Mangini from 2 years ago

Squintz

A quick story on Mangini:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-m...o&type=lgns

by Jason Cole / November 29, 2006

Some quotes:

“It's an extraordinary achievement for a team that appeared to have a bleak outlook before the season. The Jets were coming off a 4-12 campaign and had a roster that included several question marks.”

“These days, Belichick and Mangini are in the midst of a quiet-but-public disagreement over how Mangini left the Patriots after last season. Mangini, who was the defensive coordinator with New England, started talking to other members of the Patriots' coaching staff about whether they would like to go with him before he was formally offered the Jets job. Belichick took that as an attempt to raid the roost and the two have talked about one another in very cold terms ever since.

Still, Belichick has been impressed with Mangini for a long time and it had little to do with the fact that they both are Wesleyan grads. Belichick was more impressed with Mangini's work on the Queen Mary. Not the boat. Rather, the giant copy machine that used to be in the Browns' offices before the team scampered to Baltimore in 1996. That's where Mangini would be up all hours of the day and night, copying material for the public relations office where he worked as an intern after being a ball boy for the team in training camp.

Then-Browns coach Bill Belichick noticed Mangini's work ethic, if not his name. One day toward the end of the season, as Mangini's internship was about to run out, Belichick walked into PR man Kevin Byrne's office.

"What are you going to do with the blonde kid?" Belichick asked Byrne. Shortly after, Mangini was working as a staff assistant with the coaches.

From there, Mangini's work ethic has been impressive enough to overcome what he lacked on his résumé. Or at least things that looked a little out of place, like trips down under.“

"Eric wasn't just screaming at us all the time," Adams said. "He got loud if what you did wasn't thought out … I remember him yelling at me one day when I was practicing as a defensive lineman. The offensive line pushed me back and Eric came running up and yelled, 'Do something, fall down, create a pile, but don't just get pushed around.' He was right."

Said Baltimore president Ozzie Newsome, who was in Cleveland when Mangini started with the Browns: "Eric has a very unique presence. There can be a bunch of people sitting in the room talking about something, but Eric still stands out."

These days, the approach isn't much different.

"The way he explains it is pretty straightforward," Jets wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said earlier this season. "He says what he wants and he explains why. If it doesn't make sense to you, he doesn't make you afraid to ask … The message gets across pretty clear. So if you don't do what he asks, it's on you." \

“Eric Mangini, at the time a 21-year-old college student on a foreign study program, stood in front of the taxi drivers, butchers and other assorted men in their late 20s and early 30s who comprised the Kew Colts and told them that he was going to make it to the NFL one day as a head coach. As Chris Adams, a post-grad student playing for the Colts, remembered, the men would nod in agreement. Then they'd look at each other and say, "How's he going to do that from here?" The team was half a world away in Melbourne, Australia and, for all purposes, the level was even further. Mangini was coaching a semi-pro football team in a country that loved rugby. "It was different, but no one ever had a problem listening to him," said Adams, an Aussie who now works for the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C. "He was younger than everyone and he was actually quite a bit smaller than most of the guys on the team. But I don't think anyone ever questioned that he knew what he was saying … There was a strong sense that if we listened to him and did what he said, we were going to win a championship."

Doesn't do much to sway me, but I find it interesting how quickly the tides can turn on a guy...

post-549-1231258580_thumb.jpg

Mangini is fine by me i think he is exactly what this team needs at this time..mangini gets a bad rap with the jets and their somewhat overpowered gm when farve is forced on him and everyone thinks he sucks..take a reality trip guys..the big name guys do not want to come to cleveland for many different reasons or arent going to coach next year at all.. but big names dont really mean as much as some think..

Mangini in a power shared system (granted by the gm in kokinises case)will take the browns back to consistant football and thats all we can ask for at least for a couple years..

Piolis little game of looking at options and then crawling back up belicheks ass shows he isnt the right guy he is insecure about striking out on his own so he has doubt that he will flourish outside of billyboys genius underwear..

Marty is likely also just mulling the idea of coaching/gming and wants to like cowher only join a team under pristine dictated conditions..McKay will take interviews but has said he is happy where he is at...

Spags as a coach would be nice but he has no obvious interest in coming to brownstown..

I honestly doubt rex ryan would coach in cleveland either..if you look at things realisticly the way they are mangini is our best bet and most likely solution regardless of who the gm is even if its McCrieght..

Lerner has done a great job this time round i give him an A for effort my advise would be to watch the front office a little closer than the last regime and make sure everyone is doing exactly what they are suppose to and if they are not get rid of them fast..

Most important the candidate should really want to be in cleveland be an experienced HC and have a passion for the game mangenius fills the bill..

Word is after the firing of mangini most potential coaches are dubious of both the owner and gm there they may have traded 1 bird in the hand for 2 in a bush..the jets are a team that was poised to move forward but mangini got ousted to soon imho..

I'm in camp Mangini.

We definitely don't need another push over players coach. What we need is a well prepped teacher of the game. I think he's miles better then most of ya'll think, and we will actually look prepared for games for once with him running the show.

I'm in camp Mangini.

We definitely don't need another push over players coach. What we need is a well prepped teacher of the game. I think he's miles better then most of ya'll think, and we will actually look prepared for games for once with him running the show.

I agree 100%

I'm in camp Mangini.

I also agree & it seems that Lerner is absolutely determined to have a Coach & GM that are on the same page. Seems like we may be headed in the right direction....time will tell. Northeast Ohio needs & deserves a return to our glory years.

Mike

I'm in camp Mangini.

History has proven that a player will be GONE before he pushes Mangini over. He's not afraid to show them who's boss. (see Vilma, Jon and Kendall, Pete)

Archived