THE BROWNS BOARD

Indians sign Pavano

titleist585

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

CLEVELAND -- Looking to bolster their starting rotation, the Indians are taking a chance on Carl Pavano.

Pavano and the Indians have agreed to a one-year Major League deal that was to be announced Tuesday afternoon. The deal does not include an option. Financial terms were not immediately available.

Pavano, who turns 33 on Thursday, is coming off a disappointing, injury-plagued four-year stint with the Yankees. With New York in 2008, he appeared in seven games and was 4-2 with a 5.77 ERA in 34 1/3 innings.

Over the course of his four-year, $40 million deal with the Yanks, Pavano appeared in just 26 games. He threw 145 2/3 innings over a four-year span. He missed all of 2006 because of injury. He broke in with the Montreal Expos in 1998.

The Indians designated first baseman Mike Aubrey for assignment to make room for Pavano on the 40-man roster.

Not a bad gamble. You never know how much a change of scenery can affect a player. And playing on a one year deal (supposed to be about $2M) gives him plenty of incentive to perform for his NEXT contract.

Only problem is that he blocks one of our young guys. The rotation now will probably be Lee-Carmona-Pavano-Reyes-Sowers. I'd like to see my guy Laffey get another shot out of camp, and I wouldn't mind seeing what Dave Huff has.

Of course, Pavano could end spring training with another strained buttock and we won't have to worry about that problem.

Could be as low as $1.5 million - (still obscene money for playing a game)

Updated: January 6, 2009, 4:29 PM ET

Pavano signs with Tribe

Comment Email Print

By Jerry Crasnick

ESPN.com

Archive

The Cleveland Indians signed free-agent pitcher Carl Pavano to a one-year contract Tuesday.

Financial terms were not disclosed. Sources told ESPN.com that the deal was worth $1.5 million plus incentives. Pavano can earn an additional $5.3 million based on starts and innings pitched.

"Carl was very impressed with everything when he visited Cleveland,'' agent Tom O'Connell said. "He's excited to be there and he feels like this is a tremendous opportunity.''

Pavano, 32, is looking to rehabilitate his career after suffering numerous injuries in four seasons with the Yankees. He posted a 9-8 record in 26 starts after signing a four-year, $39.95 million contract with New York in December 2004.

Yeah, I've got no problem with this signing at all. Very low risk - kinda Millwood-light.

Only problem is that he blocks one of our young guys. The rotation now will probably be Lee-Carmona-Pavano-Reyes-Sowers. I'd like to see my guy Laffey get another shot out of camp, and I wouldn't mind seeing what Dave Huff has.

Should assure that Huff'll pitch a few months in AAA, barring a terrific spring. Prolly not a bad thing.

As for Laffey, a buddy of mine is the anti-you. Hates Laffey. I'm pretty middle of the road when it comes to him, but it should be noted that Laffey has 10 years (in the good direction) on Pavano and that the last time Pavano threw as many innings as Laffey did in 08, he wasn't anywhere near as "good" as Laffey was last year.

Castro wrote about the yummy details of the deal here:

If you're incredibly curious about this contract, it breaks down as follows, according to a Major League source. Pavano gets $100,000 each for reaching 18, 20 and 22 starts, $200,000 each for reaching 24, 26 and 28 starts, $250,000 for 30 starts, $300,000 for 32 starts, $350,000 each for 33 and 34 starts and $400,000 for 35 starts.

He gets $100,000 each for reaching 130, 140 and 150 innings pitched, $150,000 each for 160 and 170 innings, $200,000 for 180, $250,000 for 190, $250,000 for 200, $300,000 for 215, $400,000 for 225 and $500,000 for 235.

So, basically, a very tolerable level of financial risk with this contract, if you ask me. If Pavano gets hurt or gets shelled, the Indians can cut bait midseason and stomach the $1.5 million investment.

http://castrovince.mlblogs.com/archives/20...gns_pavano.html

Beanpot

I like the move.

We have a better than average pitcher(be it some questions) at a low price.

Whats not to like??

He doesn't pan out, we will know pretty quick(I hope) and we are out a reasonable amout.

He pans out, he can win 15 games as the #4.

If your #4 is winning 15 games, you are going to the post season.

I like the move.

We have a better than average pitcher(be it some questions) at a low price.

Whats not to like??

He doesn't pan out, we will know pretty quick(I hope) and we are out a reasonable amout.

He pans out, he can win 15 games as the #4.

If your #4 is winning 15 games, you are going to the post season.

Agreed about liking the move, I'd just go easy on the winning 15 games thing. Allowing for the fact that wins aren't remotely predictive and that they're dependent on multiple factors, Carl Pavano has won as many as 15 games exactly once in his career. For him to equal that feat in '09 wouldn't mean that he'd have simply panned out, it would mean comeback player of the year awards and fireworks.

I'm hoping for 100 innings and expecting far less than that. Again, anything he gives us is gravy.

Beanpot

I understand...and cut me just a bit of slack....in this day and age, winning 15 to me doesn't mean he has to be credited with the win......win 10 outright and put us in position to win another 5 and that is 15 to me. ;)

I understand...and cut me just a bit of slack....in this day and age, winning 15 to me doesn't mean he has to be credited with the win......win 10 outright and put us in position to win another 5 and that is 15 to me. ;)

Absolutely. He pitches well enough to win 5 games (no matter if he's credited with the win) and I'm thrilled with the pickup.

Three times that? The happy dance for that event has yet to be invented.

Beanpot

Archived