THE BROWNS BOARD

MSNBC and WEEI in Boston report - Browns to hire Mangini

AZBrowns

I like it..

Here's what I like ... I don't know if Mangini is the answer, he certainly could be, but it seems to me that Lerner is taking the franchise by the balls and saying "This is the guy I want, and I don't care what anybody else thinks."

Zombo

--'Bout time.

Here's what I like ... I don't know if Mangini is the answer, he certainly could be, but it seems to me that Lerner is taking the franchise by the balls and saying "This is the guy I want, and I don't care what anybody else thinks."

Yeah, what about interviewing Kokinis BEFORE hiring Mangini? It seems these two are a package deal.... wouldn't you want to interview BOTH of them before making a decision? And I thought Lerner was going to interview Eagles' Tom Heckert?? WTF??

Yeah, what about interviewing Kokinis BEFORE hiring Mangini? It seems these two are a package deal.... wouldn't you want to interview BOTH of them before making a decision? And I thought Lerner was going to interview Eagles' Tom Heckert?? WTF??

I think people are reading too much into this Mangini/Kokinis connection.

Basically, I think Mangini has said "this is the guy I recommend"...but he very well may have said that even if Kokinis DOESN'T get the job...he still wants it.

That may be why we are looking at the Philly guy.

If he's deadset on hiring Mangini, then he needs to hire him. If he doesn't like Kokonuts or the Philly guy, there are other choices too. Lots of teams hire a GM with a head coach in place, its not groundbreaking.

To me, the hiring of Savage and Crennel as a team seemed contrived, and never a good fit. Lerner made people happy that Savage was a draftnik after we had drafted so poorly. And he made the traditionalists happy that he hired a guy with Browns roots. With Romeo, he hired the "hot name" of the moment from the "hot team", and I'm sure he made the African-American players happy (not to mention the Weigh Watchers crowd).

But they were not a good fit. Savage had control over the 53 man roster, which sapped Crennel's ability to motivate. Crennel had never been a head coach before, anywhere, was not an X's and O's guy in NE, he was an organizer and motivator for Bill Belichick's defense. And Savage's management style was not a good fit with Lerner, who almost axed him in 2006 in the John Collins bruhaha, but caved to public pressure and kept Savage and made him even more all-powerful.

This time, Lerner is not making the "Sexy" pick. Mangini just got fired. Never had great results. Everyone is laughing and saying "NE coordinator and Balt personnel guy, haven't they done this before?"

But Lerner is saying "xxxx it ... I like this guy, I respect this guy, my instincts tell me this is the right guy and I'm going with him."

Good for him.

I don't think he ever really felt comfortable with Savage or particularily cared for him.

And I think he knew early on that Romeo was no great head coach.

He wants Mangini. I have no problem with that. Bring him on. He wants the job, He's know this is his shot, there won't be another. He has learned from mistakes and, most importantly ... he has convinced one Randy Lerner that he has a plan for the franchise.

Great. Let's get started.

Zombo

Archived