THE BROWNS BOARD

Kokinis gets Kudos

WPB Dawg Fan

Ernie Accorsi has built champions...and told Blank of the Falcons that Kokinis was one of 3 guys to look at. Not so much of a left field hire if we get him...

Ernie Accorsi offers a different opinion.

The former Browns executive -- now retired after building the New York Giants championship team -- served as a consultant for the Falcons last year when owner Arthur Blank went looking to rebuild his football operation.

"My three recommendations were Dimitroff, Tom Heckert and Kokinis," Accorsi said. "Blank really loved Dimitroff and hired him before interviewing Kokinis."

It turns out that Accorsi -- and not Belichick -- was the man responsible for bringing Kokinis to Cleveland in 1991. Kokinis had been a baseball graduate assistant at University of Richmond when Accorsi's godson played for the team. Accorsi gave Kokinis an entry level job in the Browns' operations department. After Accorsi left the following year, Belichick took Kokinis under his large wing.

"Everybody fell in love with him," Accorsi said of Kokinis, who was 24 at the time. "Hard worker, smart, a great kid. Now, over the years, I'd lost touch with him. But through my scouts [with the Giants], I got to know of him well. I'd ask about him all the time, and everybody liked him. Ozzie was really high on him."

Accorsi debunks the theory that a general manager is best qualified coming through the scouting ranks, since the draft is the lifeblood of the NFL.

"Number one, I think he did plenty of college scouting," Accorsi said. "Number two, [former NFL executive and Hall of Famer] Jim Finks always told me that for the GM job, it's more important to have a pro personnel background.

"His reasoning was you always have time to prepare for the draft. What's more important is to know the league, not only the players but what it takes to play in the league. The NFL game changes, positions change. The coaches know the league and the pro personnel guys know the league. A lot of the college scouts, they don't see the NFL games much.

"Listen, it's the person that matters, but you're better off being a pro guy because you're going to know the league. You can always get ready for the draft. Finks would preach, 'Look at pro tape, look at pro tape.'"

Newsome said he would not even entertain questions about Kokinis while he is going through the Browns' interview process.

Another NFL team executive summed up Kokinis this way: "He's a real good guy and works 24 hours a day. He's one of those guys that sleeps in the office."

Accorsi thinks Kokinis is ready to make the jump.

"The more research I did, the more I was convinced of it," Accorsi said. "He works like hell. He's a great guy. But you never know. These jobs can change people because the pressure and scrutiny is so great."

I think Accorsi knows his shiite. If he sez this Kokinis guy is the goods, than he probably is.

Downside? He's apparently one of the dudes who chose Modell over Cleveland. That's a hard pill for me to swallow even today 13 years later.

Doug

Downside? He's apparently one of the dudes who chose Modell over Cleveland. That's a hard pill for me to swallow even today 13 years later.

And do what??? Go work in a steel mill that was going to shutter up in 2 years or go wait tables somewhere??

Be real man.

And do what??? Go work in a steel mill that was going to shutter up in 2 years or go wait tables somewhere??

I'm pretty sure there were 29 other NFL Franchises in business back in early 1996. He was going to have to relocate anyway. Also any number of other sports franchises in other leagues where he could get a gig.

I'll be honest with you. I would have wanted EVERY SINGLE member of the Browns organization that was invited to join Scumdell in Baltiwhore to have turned him down flat. Those that didn't have a big strike against them IMO.

If he comes here, he owes us 150%.

Doug

I'm pretty sure there were 29 other NFL Franchises in business back in early 1996. He was going to have to relocate anyway. Also any number of other sports franchises in other leagues where he could get a gig.

I'll be honest with you. I would have wanted EVERY SINGLE member of the Browns organization that was invited to join Scumdell in Baltiwhore to have turned him down flat. Those that didn't have a big strike against them IMO.

Doug

Seriously, its time to move past that. Can't hold things like that against people that kept their jobs. You gotta remember, these guys are under contract and can't just up and quit and go work for the next team.

I also heard that they were heavily involved in helping Lerner through the process.

Glad Lerner didn't try to go it alone. Maybe there's hope for him yet. rught or wrong, he interviewed, took some advise and said screw the naysayers, this is my man.

I hope he got it right.

Be real man.

Hey Thurston, any idea what one even does in a steel mill?

Straight from the NFL to waiting tables? Geesh! Not quite the career lateral to drive your point with.

You want real?

You've got sell-out written across your forehead, Senator.

Doug

I'm surrounded by Browns fans that feel the exact same way Doug, myself included. [cheers] Occasionally though I try to remind myself the coaches weren't fans and try to accept their callous choices, but that's still no excuse for Ozzie.

For the record my neighbor was wrong. Burning his jersey made me feel A HELL of a lot better!

Doug

I understand the passion, but the reality is you don't just quit a job...especially doing whatever it was he was doing at the time. That is the reality. Quitting might show some loyalty, but it also shows a lack of judgment. Loyalty doesn't get you very far when the next wave of bills hits the mailbox.

Your comment about 150% makes me believe he will never be able to good enough for you since 100% is the most a person can give. Afterall, how does one give more than everything they have??

Again...I do understand your feelings, but I do think it's time to get over that.

If he is hired, I wish him well and hope he and the job become the perfect match.

Go Browns

Hey, when Accorsi starts talking, we all should listen! He knows what he is talking about. If he says Kokinis is able to do the job and do it well, then I hope Randy gets his checkbook ready for his interview with the guy!

I know he chose to leave with the team. Honestly...he didn't choose B-more over C-town. He chose his career over starting over! I would have done the same thing! Ozzie did too, but you would all take him back in a heartbeat! Get over it! It happened...12 YEARS AGO!...and now it's time to focus on this team!

I give Lerner a lot of credit for taking Ernie's advice and also for going out and getting what he wants in an experienced head coach. Yes, Cowher was his first choice and Pioli was behind that. But Cowher was never coming to Cleveland anyway. He has his head too far up Rooney's arse! And Pioli is dragging his feet! Not to mention, it appears that Manginin jumped Pioli on Randy's list the second the Jets let him go! Face it...Randy did what we all have been wanting him to do. He went after what he wanted for this team instead of waiting around until all he had left to choose from was ancient retreads and unproven coordinators and college coaches. None of us wanted that! Now, after Kokinis is signed, the Browns are right on track and can focus on the draft and free agency!

Props to Randy and Accorsi and the Mangini/Kokinis tandem!

Hey, when Accorsi starts talking, we all should listen! He knows what he is talking about. If he says Kokinis is able to do the job and do it well, then I hope Randy gets his checkbook ready for his interview with the guy!

I know he chose to leave with the team. Honestly...he didn't choose B-more over C-town. He chose his career over starting over! I would have done the same thing! Ozzie did too, but you would all take him back in a heartbeat! Get over it! It happened...12 YEARS AGO!...and now it's time to focus on this team!

I give Lerner a lot of credit for taking Ernie's advice and also for going out and getting what he wants in an experienced head coach. Yes, Cowher was his first choice and Pioli was behind that. But Cowher was never coming to Cleveland anyway. He has his head too far up Rooney's arse! And Pioli is dragging his feet! Not to mention, it appears that Manginin jumped Pioli on Randy's list the second the Jets let him go! Face it...Randy did what we all have been wanting him to do. He went after what he wanted for this team instead of waiting around until all he had left to choose from was ancient retreads and unproven coordinators and college coaches. None of us wanted that! Now, after Kokinis is signed, the Browns are right on track and can focus on the draft and free agency!

Props to Randy and Accorsi and the Mangini/Kokinis tandem!

Agreed.

I also feel that it's ridiculous to bash everyone who went to Baltimore with the team years ago. I guess maybe they all should have said, "Oh the HELL with my career & security for my family. I'll just sit here being supported by loyal Cleveland fans while I wait for the new team." :rolleyes:

Now let's get into supporting what, IMHO, is a huge step up. I am also hoping the Kokinis rumors are true, but we may just have to wait until after the Super Bowl to find out.

Mike

Archived