THE BROWNS BOARD

UFA

Solon16

Julius peppers....hello(car)

Bart scott(bal)

Jonathan Babaneaux(atl)

Jabari Greer(buf), J.P. Losman(backup vet qb?)

Tank Johnson(dallas),and Marc Columbo

Nate webster(denver)

Mike Petersen(jax)

Channing Crowder(miami)

Matt Birk(minn)

Lance moore round 2(saints)

Eric barton(jets) & kerry rhodes

Tra Thomas (philly)

and last but most

Brandon Jacobs! :ph34r:

Bart scott(bal)

Jonathan Babaneaux(atl)

Nate webster(denver)

Mike Petersen(jax)

Channing Crowder(miami)

Matt Birk(minn)

Tra Thomas (philly)

and last but most

Tell me why any top free agent would want to come and play for the Browns

Guys want to go to teams that have a chance to make the playoffs with a chance to play in the Super Bowl

The only guys that would want to come here are guys playing for there last contract and are over the hill, plus we don't have much money under the cap to sign a top free agent.

What did all the money we spent on free agents the last 4 years get us? When will we learn build thru the draft and when you are a few players away add the right 2 or 3 free agents.........Have we not learned our lesson from the past few seasons.

What's nice is you could have guys on this staff that will have connections with players from Jets, Balt, Oakland and NE.

How about the CB from Oakland whose name I can't pronounce or put on paper.

What's nice is you could have guys on this staff that will have connections with players from Jets, Balt, Oakland and NE.

How about the CB from Oakland whose name I can't pronounce or put on paper.

Cant even come close to getting him.

And Bertrand Berry from (az)

Just throwing some names out there...I know peppers wouldn't fit in a 3~4 but If I'm the DC I'd make up a position for him ala jamir miller.

Oak will resign the Nkamde something or other...imo they have noone else... and will franchise him if they can't.

Channing Crowder

Carlos Dansby

Jordan Gross

Will Allen

Bart Scott

Gross and Dansby will sign HUGE deals and Allen is meh (though an Orangeman).

Crowder and Scott both seem like very viable options to me.

Bart scott(bal)

Jonathan Babaneaux(atl)

Nate webster(denver)

Mike Petersen(jax)

Channing Crowder(miami)

Matt Birk(minn)

Tra Thomas (philly)

and last but most

I want Bart Scott. After reading that article about him a few weeks ago (he hates everyone not on his team; hates Whines Ward; if his team isn't in the Superbowl, he hopes they cancel it), that's the kind of intensity I want.

Scott and Mays. Oh. My. God.

Fair enough on Scott.

What are your thoughts on Crowder?

signing crowder limits the impact an ILB can make if we draft one. therefore, signing crowder will, to me, signal what the new regime thinks is our most pressing need come draft time.

based on his merits alone and not judging him against curry, crowder's definitely better than anyone we have on our roster. he's a good player who plays with fire and intensity, all things our defense is currently lacking. he's a great thumper in the middle to complement d'qwell.

he does, however, have injury issues. his knees aren't great from what some people on this board have said, so that's a definite concern, and one that could limit his effectiveness would definitely shorten his career.

all in all, even with curry, i think crowder would be a solid pickup for us if the dolphins decide not to re-sign him, which i personally think they will. having him would allow us to play curry on the outside if we so desire, and while he's not a refined pass rusher, it's something that's definitely within the scope of his talents. he could also spell crowder in the middle when necessary with whoever loses the hall/wimbley battle to come in the game.

signing crowder would give us more flexibility and more quality linebackers, something you can never have too much of when running the 3-4.

Guest Aloysius
And Bertrand Berry from (az)

I'd love it if we brought him in. After the Willie Mac disappointment, bringing in another veteran pass-rusher may not be a popular move. But whenever I watch Arizona play, this guy shows up.

Berry has notched sacks in each of Arizona's playoff games. And I loved when Arizona only rushed three against the Giants early this year, yet Berry was able to get past LT David Diehl for a sack. How many times have we done the same without any of our rushers getting anywhere near the QB?

Berry may not be quick or athletic enough to be a full-time OLB, but he's got the strength and moves to be a solid situational rusher for the next two years. If we don't get Terrell Suggs in FA, he'd be a good guy to bring in.

Our wide recieving corps was a disgusting mess last year.. I'll give Braylon and Stallworth a pass for last year as i think they can bounce back .. i think these were fluke type years based upon history... Joe J....stick a fork in him.. he's done.. Steptoe is worthless as was everyone behind him...

Ok.. that was the complaint..here is the solution.. Bring in 3 of these 5 guys to compete for the 3,4,5 spots.. (I love lance moore but he will get a #2 spot vs coming here for a 3 so I am not sure we can get him)....

Ok... Hank Baskett, Bryant Johnson, Brandon Jones, Dane Looker, and Roscoe Parrish.. None of them are the superstars but all are more than capable of being the 3,4,5 spots we need and can fill in as starter if/when needed.. This was Savage's biggest blunder last year.. There was no expericed depth at recieve and it killed us when stallworth and JJ went out.. The fact that we knew jj was out before the season even started was completely overlooked by savage.. Inexcusable... We cannot make that mistake again.. as even with a year of experience for Steptoe.. he's still worthless

The guy that I missed on that list the first time is Marc Colombo from DAL.

He's the Bears first-rounder from '02 or '03 who blew out his knee and got cut. He ended up in DAL and has played a decent to good RT from what I've gathered. He started every game the last 3 years and is still fairly young at 30.

He'd be a guy worth pursuing if we could get him relatively cheap. He'd push Shaffer and add depth. A Hadnot-type pickup, maybe even better.

Guest Aloysius

A lot of the FA receivers we've been talking about are actually RFA's - guys like Lance Moore and Hank Baskett. Considering the strong rapport Moore's developed with Drew Brees, I'm guessing New Orleans will give him the highest tender. Baskett will likely won't be tendered that high, but I'd prefer drafting someone over giving up a pick for a guy who's been plagued by inconsistency.

Brandon Jones, Bryant Johnson, and Dane Looker are UFA's. Unfortunately, Roscoe Parrish signed a contract extension last year.

Guest Aloysius
The guy that I missed on that list the first time is Marc Colombo from DAL.

He's the Bears first-rounder from '02 or '03 who blew out his knee and got cut. He ended up in DAL and has played a decent to good RT from what I've gathered.

He'd be a guy worth pursuing if we could get him relatively cheap. He'd push Shaffer and add depth. A Hadnot-type pickup, maybe even better.

I was hoping he'd slip into free agency as well. Unfortunately, Dallas quietly signed him to a contract extension last month.

Guest Aloysius

Think positive, Juki. Now, we'll have a chance to get an even better guy in the draft. And for much cheaper.

Then again, that'd require us having a GM who knows what he's doing. Or at least one who can get along with Mangini ;)

Our wide recieving corps was a disgusting mess last year.. I'll give Braylon and Stallworth a pass for last year as i think they can bounce back .. i think these were fluke type years based upon history... Joe J....stick a fork in him.. he's done.. Steptoe is worthless as was everyone behind him...

Ok.. that was the complaint..here is the solution.. Bring in 3 of these 5 guys to compete for the 3,4,5 spots.. (I love lance moore but he will get a #2 spot vs coming here for a 3 so I am not sure we can get him)....

Ok... Hank Baskett, Bryant Johnson, Brandon Jones, Dane Looker, and Roscoe Parrish.. None of them are the superstars but all are more than capable of being the 3,4,5 spots we need and can fill in as starter if/when needed.. This was Savage's biggest blunder last year.. There was no expericed depth at recieve and it killed us when stallworth and JJ went out.. The fact that we knew jj was out before the season even started was completely overlooked by savage.. Inexcusable... We cannot make that mistake again.. as even with a year of experience for Steptoe.. he's still worthless

This would make sense if Stallworth was a #2 quality receiver.

Guest Aloysius

PFW brings up a guy we could poach from a division rival:

With unrestricted free agency pending for Steelers WR Nate Washington, the club is left with an interesting decision on its hands, a source close to the club suggests. Washington is not a starter, but he’s one of the more dangerous No. 3 receivers in the game, and he’s averaged better than 15 yards a catch in each of the last three seasons. The way we hear it, whether the Steelers bring back Washington could very well depend on their faith in WR Limas Sweed to show more as a second-year player than he did as a rookie. Sweed caught only six passes in 11 games in 2008, and he fumbled a pair of times.

Washington had 40 catches for 631 yards and 3 TD's this year.

Archived