THE BROWNS BOARD

We are going to need a Veteran Backup Qb!

Solon16

will it be DA? He needs to go imo....Who will replace him? JP Losman? Rex Grossman? one of the dumb McNown brotha's? What are your thoughts? do we draft a guy? dorsey blows and is GONE as well....so I think we have to draft a project this year no?

Grossman would be a bad fit in a WC type offense IMO.

Lossman is fine, or keep gradkowski. Doesn't really matter who #3 is...if you get to there, you're scrwewsd

Yea, Gradkowski and his 18 yards passing against the Steelers looked like the perfect #3

Gradkowski SUCKS as bad a Dorsey

Who said we are running a West Coast offense

J.P. Losman or Gus Frerotte.

Id take Losman because Frerotte won't be around much longer. Although he could teach our young QB's more than Losman.

this is funny considering Mangini and the jets got rid of Pennington who Brady is very similar to in order to get a gunslinger who tends to turnover the ball like DA. I think this is going to be a long offseason of conjecture on the qb position and free agency.

this is funny considering Mangini and the jets got rid of Pennington who Brady is very similar to in order to get a gunslinger who tends to turnover the ball like DA. I think this is going to be a long offseason of conjecture on the qb position and free agency.

It's ben widely published that the owner and GM brought in Favre and traded Pennington, not Mangini. Mangini wanted to keep Pennington.

And please don't compare Pennington's arm to Quinn's. Not even close. They may manage the game the same but Quinn has a decent arm (average) and Pennington has a rag.

Michael Vick, he gets out in June!!

I'd have Vick here under one condition; he gets into a ring with a pit bull and fights him. If he (Vick) survives, we'll 1) admit he's "rehabilitated" and 2) sign him and 3) set up a nice Wilddog package for him.

I'd have Vick here under one condition; he gets into a ring with a pit bull and fights him. If he (Vick) survives, we'll 1) admit he's "rehabilitated" and 2) sign him and 3) set up a nice Wilddog package for him.

Don't you think getting mauled by a dog would just increase his hatred of them? I mean its the dogs fault he's in jail in the first place...

:blink:

On a serious note... I think we should get him, he's talented with the football.

Don't you think getting mauled by a dog would just increase his hatred of them?

Not at all. I think it would give dogs "street cred" in his eyes. And therefore, mad respect.

Not at all. I think it would give dogs "street cred" in his eyes. And therefore, mad respect.

You might be right on that.

It's been a while and my thug-life street smarts are a little rusty.

Good looking out brah.

Vick is the best choice out there by far

I think we need to balance on-the-field potential with locker room/PR viability.

This ain't Fantasy Football, folks!

I think we need to balance on-the-field potential with locker room/PR viability.

This ain't Fantasy Football, folks!

I duno mz the pussy

I think Vick might actually have turned a new leaf. I mean he did prison time. Not a slap on the wrist like most athletes get. I'm guessing this will really bring him down to earth. Although no telling what will happen when he gets money again. He will never get money like he had but even league minimum puts most of us to shame...

I would give him an incentive / behavior based contract and try him out as an all purpose player. If he screws up just cut him.

If he screws up just cut him.

The last thing a team struggling to find its identity needs is a piece of shit like Mike Vick. I really don't see any upside whatsoever.

Let the Redskins sign him.

leftwich sounds great to me, though i doubt pittsburgh lets him go unless they somehow believe dennis dixon can be their backup or if they want charlie batch back.

however, i think they re-sign leftwich and let batch go. either way, he's a UFA, so we can make a push for him if we want, and i believe we should.

barring leftwich, the list is largely uninspiring. chris simms is an option, so's grossman. neither particularly fills me with confidence, especially since grossman is DA with a longer injury history.

leftwich sounds great to me, though i doubt pittsburgh lets him go unless they somehow believe dennis dixon can be their backup or if they want charlie batch back.

however, i think they re-sign leftwich and let batch go. either way, he's a UFA, so we can make a push for him if we want, and i believe we should.

barring leftwich, the list is largely uninspiring. chris simms is an option, so's grossman. neither particularly fills me with confidence, especially since grossman is DA with a longer injury history.

Like the Chris Simms...pick up! no doubt!

2009 Top 10 Free Agent QBs

A handful of starters and former starts will see their contracts expire after the season, and if their respective current teams don’t make a serious effort to re-sign them, we could see some significant shifts in the distribution of talent around the NFL.

Here are the top quarterbacks set to become free agents after the season is complete.

1. Kurt Warner - Arizona Cardinals - UFA - Kurt Warner had a Pro Bowl season in 2008, starting 16 games and lighting up opponents. The question at this point is, will the Cardinals retain him? I think so, especially if the Cardinals make a run in the postseason. Ken Whisenhunt has little faith or investment in Matt Leinart, who has proved himself to be an adequate career backup, and the Cardinals don’t really have another option at quarterback. Warner may turn 38 before the start of the 2009 season, but he’s proved his worth as an NFL starter. If the Cardinals decide to move on without him, expect him to find plenty of suitors around the NFL.

2. Matt Cassell - New England Patriots - UFA - It’s anyone’s guess whether the New England Patriots will attempt to re-sign Cassell, though Brady’s improving health and expectation to start in 2009 may make it easier to let Cassell go. Blessed by incredible talent around him, the 26-year old career backup put together some decent numbers in 2008, especially when considering expectations. Most importantly, he won games and kept the Patriots competitive and padded his resume at exactly the right time.

3. Jeff Garcia - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - UFA - Garcia may not post gaudy numbers, but he isn’t in an offense that gives him opportunities, either. The really big drawback with Garcia is his age (39), but he’s a suitable veteran presence and would fit well with a team drafting a rookie this season. He’s a smart quarterback who doesn’t make a lot of mistakes and a solid veteran.

4. Kyle Orton - Chicago Bears - UFA - Two Bears quarterbacks are unrestricted free agents after this season, and I don’t think it’s a big secret which the team would like to retain. Orton was solid in 2008, exceeding fans’ expectations and, at least sometimes, reminding us, yes, the Bears can throw the football. Expect Chicago to retain this starter.

5. Rex Grossman - Chicago Bears - UFA - One of the most criticized young quarterbacks in recent memory, Rex Grossman’s resume was damaged by several poor or mediocre seasons with Chicago. The oft-injured quarterback also appeared to have a severe case of fumblitis and footballphobia - a fear of the football - which seemed to hamper his ability to get through an entire game without fumbling the ball. Grossman is a serviceable backup, however, and still young enough to have a career of some length in the NFL.

6. Kerry Collins - Tennessee Titans - UFA - Word on the street is the Titans would like to sign Collins to a new contract after the season to keep him around at least one more season. Collins did an admirable job in replacing Vince Young this season and will likely continue his role as the team’s starter next season. Like Garcia, Collins played in an offense where he was expected to not make mistakes, and to that end he was very successful. Teams looking for more out of a starting quarterback, however, may wish to look elsewhere.

7. Kyle Boller - Baltimore Ravens - UFA - Boller is the perfect example of a quarterback whose career was damaged because he was drafted and started before he was ready. Boller now exists as a backup in Baltimore, a role he may soon find is no longer his. Teams looking for a decent backup can take a chance on Boller, but it has become increasingly obvious over the years he will never be an adequate NFL starter.

Others

8. Charlie Batch - UFA - Pittsburgh Steelers

9. J.T. O’Sullivan - UFA - San Francisco 49ers

10. Patrick Ramsey - UFA - Denver Broncos

11. Luke McCown - UFA - Tampa Bay Buccaneers

======================================

Clearly we aren't looking at the top of this list, but the bottom looks interesting.

If Anderson is gone (and i hope not), I like Grossman.

O'Sullivan would be my second choice, McCown my third.

Get a guy that is still young, can be in the system for years, and ... if the defense and running game are good ... can snap off a win streak if pressed into action.

Zombo

Vick is the best choice out there by far

I agree....I have always been big on people paying for their crimes. I have also been big on once those debts have been paid, we as a society need to give people a chance at redemption. A real honest chance.

Vicks problems weren't team related as in being a trouble maker in the lockerroom, and his problems aren't the type of thing that should be hard to correct...it isn't like Pacman where booze and women were his problem...those are harder to drop then will be not forming another dog fighting ring.

I know it sounds funny, but I would take Vick in a minute, and he might not even be the back-up....but he might not be the QB either.

J.P. Losman or Gus Frerotte.

JP would be a good backup as would Chris Simms. I'm sure Simms would prefer to be #2 instead of #3. And if for some reason, just saying, Quinn isn't who we hoped he'd be - Simms has started in this league and led TB into the playoffs. He's gotta a cannon for an arm.

Another guy that's kept kind of quiet is Todd Collins. His wear and tear is as minimal as Don Strock's was. There's guys out there that can help us better than Dorsey and Gradkowski IMO. I want a QB that can at least get the ball past the line of scrimmage if the wind is in our face.

- Tom F.

Guest Masters
Naah gradkowski doesn't suck AS BAD as Dorsey...Dorsey takes it to a whole new level. :blink: Never said Gradkowski was good. Just said I don't really care who they go out and get. You're not going to get anyone great...so that's the last thing on my mind.

and I said WC TYPE offense. Read through the guy who looks to be the next OC here. Looks like a pretty good possibility to me.

Not to mention Gradkowski came in how late to CLE and by that point the team had completely quit.

Not saying Brad is the answer at backup, but he ain't as bad as Dorsey. I mean Dorsey knows the offense better than anyone (Chud was his OC in MIA) and still was terrible.

Archived