THE BROWNS BOARD

From Ny times

DestinFunk

If I’m Woody Johnson, still smarting from the collapse of my favorite toy — the New York Jets — I’m suspicious and perhaps a little angry this morning.

Ten days after being fired by the Jets, Eric Mangini is the new coach of the Cleveland Browns.

If I’m Woody Johnson, my first question is: “How long has this been going on?”

This quick turnaround looks like the couple who gets divorced, and a few days later the husband remarries.

Maybe it was love at first sight between the Browns’ owner, Randy Lerner, and Mangini.

If I’m Woody Johnson, I’m thinking: “Maybe this is why the Jets seemed so distracted after beating New England and Tennessee; perhaps Mangini was already plotting his escape out of Dodge.” Perhaps he sensed — or was given a heads-up — that heads were going to roll. So Mangini had a perfect exit strategy.

The coach was possibly plotting his escape. His quarterback, Brett Favre, wasn’t sure he really wanted to be here, so they wind up going their separate ways. And who gets left holding the bag? Jets fans.

Could the Mangini hiring have been orchestrated? There was certainly ample time.

The handwriting had been on the wall for Romeo Crennel for weeks and intensified when the Browns blew back-to-back home games in a five-day span and finished the season 4-12 without scoring an offensive touchdown in their final six games.

And if you believe Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum, the decision to fire Mangini was not a knee-jerk call, but something carefully thought out.

In other words the Jets’ brain trust was thinking and rethinking Mangini throughout the season. Apparently, Mangini was also thinking and rethinking. Maybe the reason the Jets seemed distracted down the stretch was because they were.

On the surface, Mangini goes from the skillet to the frying pan. He leaves a Jets team with an over-the-hill quarterback to a Browns team with no proven quarterback. The Browns have an unpredictable warrior at tight end, Kellen Winslow, a would-be star at wide receiver, Braylon Edwards, and one of the worst secondaries in the N.F.L.

Now they have Mangini.

The Browns love Mangini and there is a charming connection: Mangini began his N.F.L. career with the Browns as ball boy under — you guessed it — Bill Belichick.

We’re all a little flabbergasted: The coach we have been kicking around, chiding for his blandness, paranoia and control-freakish ways, bowls over the Browns and lands a job. They wanted to snap up Mangini before someone moved in.

It’s more than a little mind-boggling.

Mangini’s record as the Jets’ coach was 23-25. He reached the playoffs once in three seasons. The Jets had a great chance to make the postseason again, but lost four of their last five games to finish 9-7.

What do we know?

If I’m Woody Johnson, I’d like to know, “How long has this been going on?”

If I’m Eric Mangini, I’m looking in the mirror and patting myself on the back.

Maybe he’s Mangenius after all.

If I’m Woody Johnson, still smarting from the collapse of my favorite toy — the New York Jets — I’m suspicious and perhaps a little angry this morning.

Ten days after being fired by the Jets, Eric Mangini is the new coach of the Cleveland Browns.

If I’m Woody Johnson, my first question is: “How long has this been going on?”

This quick turnaround looks like the couple who gets divorced, and a few days later the husband remarries.

Maybe it was love at first sight between the Browns’ owner, Randy Lerner, and Mangini.

If I’m Woody Johnson, I’m thinking: “Maybe this is why the Jets seemed so distracted after beating New England and Tennessee; perhaps Mangini was already plotting his escape out of Dodge.” Perhaps he sensed — or was given a heads-up — that heads were going to roll. So Mangini had a perfect exit strategy.

The coach was possibly plotting his escape. His quarterback, Brett Favre, wasn’t sure he really wanted to be here, so they wind up going their separate ways. And who gets left holding the bag? Jets fans.

Could the Mangini hiring have been orchestrated? There was certainly ample time.

The handwriting had been on the wall for Romeo Crennel for weeks and intensified when the Browns blew back-to-back home games in a five-day span and finished the season 4-12 without scoring an offensive touchdown in their final six games.

And if you believe Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum, the decision to fire Mangini was not a knee-jerk call, but something carefully thought out.

In other words the Jets’ brain trust was thinking and rethinking Mangini throughout the season. Apparently, Mangini was also thinking and rethinking. Maybe the reason the Jets seemed distracted down the stretch was because they were.

On the surface, Mangini goes from the skillet to the frying pan. He leaves a Jets team with an over-the-hill quarterback to a Browns team with no proven quarterback. The Browns have an unpredictable warrior at tight end, Kellen Winslow, a would-be star at wide receiver, Braylon Edwards, and one of the worst secondaries in the N.F.L.

Now they have Mangini.

The Browns love Mangini and there is a charming connection: Mangini began his N.F.L. career with the Browns as ball boy under — you guessed it — Bill Belichick.

We’re all a little flabbergasted: The coach we have been kicking around, chiding for his blandness, paranoia and control-freakish ways, bowls over the Browns and lands a job. They wanted to snap up Mangini before someone moved in.

It’s more than a little mind-boggling.

Mangini’s record as the Jets’ coach was 23-25. He reached the playoffs once in three seasons. The Jets had a great chance to make the postseason again, but lost four of their last five games to finish 9-7.

What do we know?

If I’m Woody Johnson, I’d like to know, “How long has this been going on?”

If I’m Eric Mangini, I’m looking in the mirror and patting myself on the back.

Maybe he’s Mangenius after all.

I dont beleive this considering Randy's eyes lit up like Ralphie after he got his BB Rifle when he learned that Mangini had been fired. Too bad so sad Jets.

Bitter and Paranoid....

So Mangini PLOTTED to get himself fired by having Brett Farve throw terrible INTs in the last 4 games???? All so he could come coach the Browns?

Lord I want what this writer is smoking.

I got some, hit me up.

Archived